Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Synagogue Shooting in Poway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synagogue Shooting in Poway

Synagogue Shooting in Poway

A woman has died after shots were fired inside a Poway, California synagogue filled with people celebrating the last day of Passover. A suspect was taken into custody approximately two miles away from the synagogue while three patients were rushed to a nearby hospital.

A 19-year-old San Diego man with a rifle entered Chabad of Poway on Rancho Bernardo Road, west of Interstate 15 at 11:23 a.m. and opened fire on the people inside, law enforcement officials said.

One woman died from injuries suffered in the shooting. A girl and two adult men were injured and rushed to a nearby hospital, officials confirmed at a 2:30 p.m. briefing.

As the suspect fled the scene, an off-duty U.S. Border Patrol agent who was in the synagogue at the time of the shooting opened fire on the suspect, missing the man but striking his vehicle, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Given how the media tends to report these things. I have a suspicion they may say this was done by a Trump supporter or conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
      Given how the media tends to report these things. I have a suspicion they may say this was done by a Trump supporter or conservative.
      I think it's in rather poor taste to jump in immediately and complain about media persecution when there's an active shooter situation and we don't even know what happened.
      Several years ago, there was a synagogue shooting in the town where I work, and it was in fact politically motivated (the man who did it had been running for office in several elections), and like it or not, his political views were relevant to the discussion as he was shouting them out in front of news cameras as he was arrested.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Info coming in...

(CNN)[Breaking news update, published at 8:14 p.m. ET]
        Authorities have identified the 19-year-old man who is suspected of opening fire at a synagogue in the southern California town of Poway on Saturday as John Earnest. He had no prior arrests in San Diego, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said at a news conference.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From his manifesto, to which I can not post a link due to the language, it appears he's an extremist Christian (or claims to be, and addresses "brothers in Christ") and is extremely anti-Jew.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            From his manifesto, to which I can not post a link due to the language, it appears he's an extremist Christian (or claims to be, and addresses "brothers in Christ") and is extremely anti-Jew.
            This makes me want to throw up.

You shall know them by their fruits.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              It pains me that one could even claim to be a Christian and anti-Jewish, and yet Christ was a Jew himself along with the Apostles. The gospel is for both the Jew and non-Jew Romans 1:16; John 4:22. This is truly sad.

Comment

It pains me that one could even claim to be a Christian and anti-Jewish, and yet Christ was a Jew himself along with the Apostles. The gospel is for both the Jew and non-Jew Romans 1:16; John 4:22. This is truly sad.
                The Christian Church, at various stages of development, was quite antisemitic. Then, again, I know some nutters who are into "Replacement Theology", and they think they have BECOME the Jews of the Promise, even taking for themselves Jewish names and practices.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I think it's in rather poor taste to jump in immediately and complain about media persecution when there's an active shooter situation and we don't even know what happened.
                  Agreed, but by now we should realize given the degree that TDS has gripped so many folks it is all but inevitable. Sort of like predicting that the sun will "rise" in the east tomorrow morning.

For instance, ABC News political analyst Matthew Dowd was on This Week earlier today blaming Trump for the shooting -- claiming his rhetoric gave the shooter "permission."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Agreed, but by now we should realize given the degree that TDS has gripped so many folks it is all but inevitable. Sort of like predicting that the sun will "rise" in the east tomorrow morning.

For instance, ABC News political analyst Matthew Dowd was on This Week earlier today blaming Trump for the shooting -- claiming his rhetoric gave the shooter "permission."
                    Anyone that publicly lends support the the neo-Nazi or white supremacist agenda and ideology is giving people like this shooter motivation and in their minds permission to commit the act that he committed. And unfortunately, Donald Trump has doubled down on support for some of the participants in what happened in Charlottesville. And every time he does that, he is giving support to the neo-Nazi, white-supremacist ideology, and in doing so helping to motivate people like this shooter.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I'm not linking because I don't want to give any daylight to the shooter and his motivation, but apparently his manifesto says that he disliked Trump because of Trump's support for Israel.

This puts me in a bit of an awkward position because I don't think the US should support Israel either (I mean, support their right to exist, yes, but sending them money, no, we send them aid money and they publicly fund abortions... I'm surprised that doesn't bother most pro-lifers).

Comment

Originally posted by KG
                        This puts me in a bit of an awkward position because I don't think the US should support Israel either (I mean, support their right to exist, yes, but sending them money, no, we send them aid money and they publicly fund abortions... I'm surprised that doesn't bother most pro-lifers).
                        Do you pay taxes to the US of A? Are abortions publicly funded in the States?

They are in Canada. So what's the difference between paying for abortions here or there. You are offering a pretty weak argument here for the US not supporting Israel.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          Anyone that publicly lends support the the neo-Nazi or white supremacist agenda and ideology is giving people like this shooter motivation and in their minds permission to commit the act that he committed. And unfortunately, Donald Trump has doubled down on support for some of the participants in what happened in Charlottesville. And every time he does that, he is giving support to the neo-Nazi, white-supremacist ideology, and in doing so helping to motivate people like this shooter.

Jim
                          Good thing Trump never did that even though some have deliberately lied and misled others into believing otherwise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            And unfortunately, Donald Trump has doubled down on support for some of the participants in what happened in Charlottesville. And every time he does that, he is giving support to the neo-Nazi, white-supremacist ideology, and in doing so helping to motivate people like this shooter.
                            This is a lie that even CNN's Jake Tapper has debunked.

Tapper: "Now, elsewhere in those remarks, Trump did condemn neo-Nazis and white supremacists. So he’s not saying that the neo-Nazis and white supremacists are very fine people."

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/...arlottesville/
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              Do you pay taxes to the US of A? Are abortions publicly funded in the States?

They are in Canada. So what's the difference between paying for abortions here or there. You are offering a pretty weak argument here for the US not supporting Israel.
                              For the most part, no (Hyde amendment). But what is done in the US is a moot point because biblically speaking we have to pay taxes to our own country, no matter what. But it doesn't say we have to pay money to other countries, so I remain opposed to subsidizing Israel's abortions.

Comment