Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Donít Call Them UFOs

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    So why isn't the universe teeming with signs of life, radio signals, etc.? The universe is so big and so old that we should be swamped
    Because it's a vast universe and we're not very significant. We inhabit one small planet orbiting a smallish yellow star, which is just one star among billions of stars in our galaxy alone. And, our galaxy in turn is just one galaxy among billions of galaxies in the universe, each comprising billions of stars of which many have planets circling them.

Even the busiest aliens may well have missed us due to the vast size of the universeÖor more probably paid us a visit but thought we were to primitive to bother with. I would tend to agree.
    ďHe felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.Ē - Douglas Adams.

2. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    So why isn't the universe teeming with signs of life, radio signals, etc.?
    There was only a 100-year gap between the invention of radio transmission and the switch to narrow-beam transmission, fibre-optic cable, and data compression methods that make transmissions look like random noise.

Even during that time an Alpha Centaurian'd struggle to know that Earth was inhabited. Before that time the only chance would be to notice the oxygenated atmosphere, which capability we've only had for a few decades.

The distance between stars is so great that radio transmissions diffuse to the point of indetectability even at close stars. The distances between galaxies are literally astronomical. Until and unless we start sending out interstellar probes, we're effectively undetectable.

The universe could have millions of civilizations with technology similar to ours and we'd be unable to tell.
    Last edited by Roy; 05-07-2019 at 01:44 AM.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

mikewhitney: What if the speed of light changed when light is passing through water? ... I have 3 semesters of college Physics.

4. Amen One Bad Pig, Duragizer, Seeker, Bret amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Because it's a vast universe and we're not very significant. We inhabit one small planet orbiting a smallish yellow star, which is just one star among billions of stars in our galaxy alone. And, our galaxy in turn is just one galaxy among billions of galaxies in the universe, each comprising billions of stars of which many have planets circling them.

Even the busiest aliens may well have missed us due to the vast size of the universeÖor more probably paid us a visit but thought we were to primitive to bother with. I would tend to agree.
    it has nothing to do with them noticing us. We should be picking up stray signals. We put out a ton of them ourselves.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, the Air Force has a new term - "unexplained aerial phenomena", or UAP. I guess that doesn't sound as nutty as "UFO" has become.

I often admire the military for some of the acronyms up with which they come. One of my personal favorites is TFOA, or Things Falling Off Aircraft.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

7. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    it has nothing to do with them noticing us. We should be picking up stray signals. We put out a ton of them ourselves.
    We put out a ton of signals, but they're rather faint on a cosmic scale - and recent, to boot; even the oldest signals have only reached on the order of 100 light-years.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

9. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    We put out a ton of signals, but they're rather faint on a cosmic scale - and recent, to boot; even the oldest signals have only reached on the order of 100 light-years.
    Hammy's point was that the universe is very old and very big. So you would expect there to be a lot of civilizations out there who would be "leaking" and we can pick up something but we don't.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hammy's point was that the universe is very old and very big. So you would expect there to be a lot of civilizations out there who would be "leaking" and we can pick up something but we don't.
    Because the universe is very big, civilizations would tend to be so far away that leaking would be undetectable. Expectation of a lot of civilizations is highly dependent on the variables used to calculate such expectation, some of which are SWAGs.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

12. Amen Duragizer, Seeker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I still say we're under quarantine. Although I heard one theory that we are part of a 'civilization zoo'
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well no, for the reasons given by Roy in #52 above.
    ďHe felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.Ē - Douglas Adams.

15. Amen Seeker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Francis Crick thought we came from Panspermia and we were seeded by Aliens