Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Donít Call Them UFOs

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Just Donít Call Them UFOs

Just Donít Call Them UFOs

The U.S. military wants pilots to report strange sightings in the sky, but doesnít want any of the stigma that comes with it.

Pilots are about to receive a new memo from management: If you encounter an unidentified flying object while on the job, please tell us.

The U.S. Navy is drafting new rules for reporting such sightings, according to a recent story from Politico. Apparently, enough incidents have occurred in ďvarious military-controlled ranges and designated airspaceĒ in recent years to prompt military officials to establish a formal system to collect and analyze the unexplained phenomena. Members of Congress and their staffs have even started asking about the claims, and Navy officials and pilots have responded with formal briefings.

The Washington Post provided more details in its own story:

In some cases, pilotsómany of whom are engineers and academy graduatesóclaimed to observe small spherical objects flying in formation. Others say theyíve seen white, Tic TacĖshaped vehicles. Aside from drones, all engines rely on burning fuel to generate power, but these vehicles all had no air intake, no wind and no exhaust.

The Navy knows how this sounds. It knows what you must be thinking. But the fact stands that some pilots are saying theyíve seen strange things in the sky, and thatís concerning. So the Navy is trying to assure pilots that they wonít be laughed out of the cockpit or deemed unhinged if they bring it up. ďFor safety and security concerns, the Navy and the [U.S. Air Force] takes these reports very seriously and investigates each and every report,Ē the Navy said in a statement to Politico.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

2. Amen Juvenal, JohnHermes amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian Omnist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just debbils in DC-8s.
    Existence is the convergence of opposites ó of pleasure and pain, beauty and ugliness, evolution and stagnation, meaning and meaninglessness, perfection and deficiency, knowledge and ignorance, love and apathy, life and death, good and evil, order and chaos, God and oblivion. It is something to worship and scorn, celebrate and lament, embrace and reject, yield to and overcome.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have no problem with the term UFO. I've seen them. But I very serious doubt they flying saucers but rather simply an object moving in the sky that I cannot identify.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I have no problem with the term UFO. I've seen them. But I very serious doubt they flying saucers but rather simply an object moving in the sky that I cannot identify.
    I think it's a very fitting term - they are objects that are flying, and we don't know what they are! I guess they're dealing with the stigma, and the fact that, in the past, military pilots would be reprimanded for saying anything about them over the radio, or they would suddenly get changes in assignments.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think it's a very fitting term - they are objects that are flying, and we don't know what they are! I guess they're dealing with the stigma, and the fact that, in the past, military pilots would be reprimanded for saying anything about them over the radio, or they would suddenly get changes in assignments.
    I remember one conversation back in the Project Blue Book days where the recording has the pilot radioing in an unidentified object pacing him, and flight control asked "are you declaring you are seeing a UFO".... there was a pause, then the pilot said "negative". A number of recordings like that.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I remember one conversation back in the Project Blue Book days where the recording has the pilot radioing in an unidentified object pacing him, and flight control asked "are you declaring you are seeing a UFO".... there was a pause, then the pilot said "negative". A number of recordings like that.
    well at first people were talking about flying saucers and discs, then the military wanted to make it sound more obscure and official so they came up with "unidentified flying objects/UFO"

I guess now that UFO has become the popular term they want to use something different again.

I don't think the term "bogey" has been adopted by the UFO crowd that much yet.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hmm... if it looks and acts like a drone, maybe it's just a drone!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Considering how everybody and their brother has a camera in their cell phone one would think we'd seen some clear images or video of something by now. I mean images of tornadoes were relatively rare decades ago but now they're everywhere yet we still only get a handful of of "flying saucers" and the quality of them usually sucks.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I heard the original "ufos" were some secret military thingy.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Considering how everybody and their brother has a camera in their cell phone one would think we'd seen some clear images or video of something by now. I mean images of tornadoes were relatively rare decades ago but now they're everywhere yet we still only get a handful of of "flying saucers" and the quality of them usually sucks.
    Cell phone cameras (at least the ones I've experienced) aren't so good at taking clear images of small light objects in dark skies.