Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Just Don’t Call Them UFOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I see no reason to assume this if one stipulates that Earth was a recipient of special creation.
    I see no reason for anyone to stipulate that Earth was a recipient of special creation (aside from anthropocentric vanity, that is).
    Last edited by Duragizer; 05-05-2019, 10:58 PM.
    "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

— Alfred North Whitehead

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      And why would you believe such unverifiable, superstitious nonsense as life existing elsewhere in the universe?
      Well we have verifiable evidence of life existing on at least one planet, i.e. Earth. Given the huge number of planets that have been discovered it is highly improbable that Earth could be the only planet with life. Especially as we know many of them have water, which is essential to life as we know it.

OTOH, as we have no verifiable evidence of demons and spirits existing anywhere in the universe, except in the minds of gullible humans.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I see no reason to assume this if one stipulates that Earth was a recipient of special creation.
        I see no reason to assume that Earth was the only recipient of a special creation.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

If aliens were smart they would just disguise their craft as airplanes.

wait...

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            Well we have verifiable evidence of life existing on at least one planet, i.e. Earth. Given the huge number of planets that have been discovered it is highly improbable that Earth could be the only planet with life. Especially as we know many of them have water, which is essential to life as we know it.

OTOH, as we have no verifiable evidence of demons and spirits existing anywhere in the universe, except in the minds of gullible humans.
            So why isn't the universe teeming with signs of life, radio signals, etc.? The universe is so big and so old that we should be swamped
            "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
              So why isn't the universe teeming with signs of life, radio signals, etc.? The universe is so big and so old that we should be swamped
              Because it's a vast universe and we're not very significant. We inhabit one small planet orbiting a smallish yellow star, which is just one star among billions of stars in our galaxy alone. And, our galaxy in turn is just one galaxy among billions of galaxies in the universe, each comprising billions of stars of which many have planets circling them.

Even the busiest aliens may well have missed us due to the vast size of the universe…or more probably paid us a visit but thought we were to primitive to bother with. I would tend to agree.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
                So why isn't the universe teeming with signs of life, radio signals, etc.?
                There was only a 100-year gap between the invention of radio transmission and the switch to narrow-beam transmission, fibre-optic cable, and data compression methods that make transmissions look like random noise.

Even during that time an Alpha Centaurian'd struggle to know that Earth was inhabited. Before that time the only chance would be to notice the oxygenated atmosphere, which capability we've only had for a few decades.

The distance between stars is so great that radio transmissions diffuse to the point of indetectability even at close stars. The distances between galaxies are literally astronomical. Until and unless we start sending out interstellar probes, we're effectively undetectable.

The universe could have millions of civilizations with technology similar to ours and we'd be unable to tell.
                Last edited by Roy; 05-07-2019, 03:44 AM.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Because it's a vast universe and we're not very significant. We inhabit one small planet orbiting a smallish yellow star, which is just one star among billions of stars in our galaxy alone. And, our galaxy in turn is just one galaxy among billions of galaxies in the universe, each comprising billions of stars of which many have planets circling them.

Even the busiest aliens may well have missed us due to the vast size of the universe…or more probably paid us a visit but thought we were to primitive to bother with. I would tend to agree.
                  it has nothing to do with them noticing us. We should be picking up stray signals. We put out a ton of them ourselves.

Comment

So, the Air Force has a new term - "unexplained aerial phenomena", or UAP. I guess that doesn't sound as nutty as "UFO" has become.

I often admire the military for some of the acronyms up with which they come. One of my personal favorites is TFOA, or Things Falling Off Aircraft.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      it has nothing to do with them noticing us. We should be picking up stray signals. We put out a ton of them ourselves.
                      We put out a ton of signals, but they're rather faint on a cosmic scale - and recent, to boot; even the oldest signals have only reached on the order of 100 light-years.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        We put out a ton of signals, but they're rather faint on a cosmic scale - and recent, to boot; even the oldest signals have only reached on the order of 100 light-years.
                        Hammy's point was that the universe is very old and very big. So you would expect there to be a lot of civilizations out there who would be "leaking" and we can pick up something but we don't.

Comment

Hammy's point was that the universe is very old and very big. So you would expect there to be a lot of civilizations out there who would be "leaking" and we can pick up something but we don't.
                          Because the universe is very big, civilizations would tend to be so far away that leaking would be undetectable. Expectation of a lot of civilizations is highly dependent on the variables used to calculate such expectation, some of which are SWAGs.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I still say we're under quarantine. Although I heard one theory that we are part of a 'civilization zoo'
                            "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Well no, for the reasons given by Roy in #52 above.

Comment

Francis Crick thought we came from Panspermia and we were seeded by Aliens

Comment