Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro-choice distortion

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    You start by acknowledging their concerns....

No - you start the way I suggested in a previous post - by acknowledging their concerns. By listening to their arguments without assuming "they're wrong!" and "they're bad." ANd then by putting forward a request to work together in a way that will address the concerns of BOTH sides.

Remember - there is common ground - we actually DO share the same moral framework. And there ARE strategies for reducing abortions. Frankly, I don't know a single pro-choicer that is "pro-abortion." Every single one I know personally recognizes that abortion is not a great option - and unwanted pregnancies are not a great thing.

Try assuming "they're good people" as a starting place.
    Next time, try asking them why they don't consider abortion "a great option". If a fetus is not a human life but is just a lump of unwanted tissue like a colon polyp then what's the problem?

I also wonder how far you're willing to stretch your "good people" presumption.

"Pedophiles are good people. They simply disagree with you about the age of consent."

"Muslim terrorists are good people who sincerely believe they are doing God's will."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Most of this does not merit a response, as per my previous post.
    But here you are! You just can't HEPPP YERSEFF.

Well, except to note that anyone who can post "WAAAAaannnnnnhhhhhh Carpe is LYING about what I said...... " and pepper their posts with should probably think twice about using "childish" as an accusatory adjective.
    I'm not the guy claiming to be a professional communicator, and I've never said I've grown up!

You missed my addition:
    I wasn't aiming for it.

ETA: BTW, I think you have reacted so strongly (and I doubt many could read your responses and not see "strongly" in them) is because I have touched a nerve.
    You're doing that mind reading thing again. I'm very dispassionate when being dismissive.

I think the care you express sharing with the people in the crisis clinic is at odds with your general language about abortion - and some part of you recognizes that disconnect.
    Well DUH!!!!! They're good people in crisis and you're an internet blogger.

And I think, deep down, you recognize some amount of truth to what I am saying -
    I have a recommendation. How bout making an attempt to put it in concise succinct words -- you know, the heart of the matter, the crux, the gist of the thing.

but it would actually require you to examine your words and behavior and make some adjustments, and that would require swallowing your pride.
    OK, that got a laugh. You can be a pompous ass, but I have to.....

Now THAT is mind reading! But I only think it because I think, fundamentally, you're a good person. A bit of a pompous ass - but basically good.
    So, a GOOD pompous ass, as opposed to you ......
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Next time, try asking them why they don't consider abortion "a great option". If a fetus is not a human life but is just a lump of unwanted tissue like a colon polyp then what's the problem?

I also wonder how far you're willing to stretch your "good people" presumption.

"Pedophiles are good people. They simply disagree with you about the age of consent."

"Muslim terrorists are good people who sincerely believe they are doing God's will."
    So, the war is preferable. I understand.

History tells us it will not end - and the pattern of those 50 years and current demographics suggests you are likely to lose it, resulting in millions of deaths.

But I'm sure that's not a significant issue. After all - you can take comfort in "I was right!"

I would prefer to approach it differently.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But here you are! You just can't HEPPP YERSEFF.

I'm not the guy claiming to be a professional communicator, and I've never said I've grown up!

I wasn't aiming for it.

You're doing that mind reading thing again. I'm very dispassionate when being dismissive.

Well DUH!!!!! They're good people in crisis and you're an internet blogger.

I have a recommendation. How bout making an attempt to put it in concise succinct words -- you know, the heart of the matter, the crux, the gist of the thing.

OK, that got a laugh. You can be a pompous ass, but I have to.....

So, a GOOD pompous ass, as opposed to you ......
    As you said, CP, the more you feel a need to respond - the more you confirm it. (Shakespeare said it better: "the [man] doth protest too much!")

And I've just realized just how much your posts are designed to provoke a reaction and goad others. I'm a little embarrassed that I fell for it.

I think I'll put you back in the "hoped for 1% camp." I suspect you will be giving much of what I've said some thought. You have too often revealed that you actually consider ideas and sometimes try to make changes. If I were a praying man, I'd pray for ya!
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-15-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian Theist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    It doesn't say it all at all. "Planned Parenthood is one of the nationís leading providers of high-quality, affordable health care, and the nationís largest provider of sex education".

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/get-care/our-services
    What does this have to do with the price of cheese in Denmark?
    ďI didnít go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly donít recommend Christianity.Ē - C.S. Lewis

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As you said, CP, the more you feel a need to respond - the more you confirm it. (Shakespeare said it better: "the [man] doth protest too much!")
    Whatever.

And I've just realized just how much your posts are designed to provoke a reaction and goad others. I'm a little embarrassed that I fell for it.
    Actually, I'm here to be challenged, and I've had to change a number of my own beliefs and positions because of the blow back. You're just not very good at challenging.

I think I'll put you back in the "hoped for 1% camp."
    I'm so honored!

I suspect you will be giving much of what I've said some thought. You have too often revealed that you actually consider ideas and sometimes try to make changes.
    When a good argument or challenge is presented, I try to accommodate it.

If I were a praying man, I'd pray for ya!
    How bout saying something that actually challenges my beliefs! All you're doing is repeating the same things over and over, and complaining about "the war", as if you're not involved.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Whatever.

Actually, I'm here to be challenged, and I've had to change a number of my own beliefs and positions because of the blow back. You're just not very good at challenging.

I'm so honored!

When a good argument or challenge is presented, I try to accommodate it.

How bout saying something that actually challenges my beliefs! All you're doing is repeating the same things over and over, and complaining about "the war", as if you're not involved.
    You'll get there...

Eventually...
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You'll get there...

Eventually...
    So, in all your walls of text, did you ever answer the question about compromise - with regards to the Jews, for example. If somebody wants ALL the Jews dead, what's the compromise?

And if I truly believe that life begins at conception (or even - what did you say? implantation?) then how do I "compromise" on that regarding abortion?

Let's test your "professional communicator" ability to be clear and concise.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, in all your walls of text, did you ever answer the question about compromise - with regards to the Jews, for example. If somebody wants ALL the Jews dead, what's the compromise?

And if I truly believe that life begins at conception (or even - what did you say? implantation?) then how do I "compromise" on that regarding abortion?

Let's test your "professional communicator" ability to be clear and concise.
    Yes..answered several times - and in small posts too.

Right now you appear to still be in your "provoke/react" mode, so it's not clear that further discussion will be useful. I think I'll give it a rest with you for a bit.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes..answered several times - an in small posts too.

Right now you appear to still be in your "provoke" mode, so it's not clear that further discussion will be useful.
    Carpe, I don't hang on every word you say, and I'm simply asking you to wrap it up in a concise thought. You're reading "provoke" where there is none, but if you can't do that provide the answer, maybe you should take a break.

I think I'll give it a rest with you for a bit.
    Too hard to be concise, eh?