Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pro-choice distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    It seems fairly clear, from the post you provided, that Star endorses post-birth infanticide. That's how I would interpret that post.
    "Fairly clear"?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
      Says it all really.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37035[/ATTACH]
      I was a bit suspicious of the "facts" of the $50 million number, and was doing some digging into that. Interestingly enough, I found this...

If the NRA owns Republicans, Planned Parenthood owns Democrats

Some excellent points there....

The double standard is clear. Democrats aligned with interest groups are acting on conscience while Republicans have been bought off.

In August 2015, Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., took to the Senate floor to decry ongoing Republican attempts to defund Planned Parenthood. The vote was taking place after a summer in which the nation watched grisly undercover videos showing Planned Parenthood abortion doctors discussing the sale of fetal body parts to activists posing as researchers.

Naturally, there was a media outcry over Warren’s speech, given that she had received more than $16,000 from Planned Parenthood during her 2012 campaign. Major newspapers were saturated with stories reminding us that the left was in the pocket of Big Abortion. Who can forget all the hours the news networks dedicated to blaming Democrats for the loss of millions of innocent lives after Planned Parenthood had spent nearly $50 million on elections and lobbying since 2012?

Of course, nobody can forget any of that because none of it ever happened. Instead, Democrats were showered with gushing mainstream news articles praising their fight for “women’s health care” and their personal resolve in standing up to those who want to “take away a woman's right to control her own body."

Contrast that with coverage Republicans receive after any mass shooting in America. Suddenly, the National Rifle Association is unmasked as the GOP puppet master, blocking any and all “commonsense” legislation to cut down on gun violence.

Within hours of the shooting tragedy in Parkland, Fla., last week, The Washington Post had updated a page for readers to see how much money the NRA had given their member of Congress. After the Las Vegas shooting last October, The New York Times' editorial page ran a woefully misleading chart purporting to show which congressional Republicans had received the most help “from the NRA” while mocking the idea of sending “thoughts and prayers.”

The double standard is clear: When Democrats work on behalf of a special interest that aborts millions of children, they are doing so from a place of conscience and ideological purity. When Republicans argue in favor of Second Amendment rights, it is because they have been bought off by a disfavored lobbying group looking to profit from carnage.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Says it all really.

It doesn't say it all at all. "Planned Parenthood is one of the nation’s leading providers of high-quality, affordable health care, and the nation’s largest provider of sex education".

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/get-care/our-services
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          It doesn't say it all at all. "Planned Parenthood is one of the nation’s leading providers of high-quality, affordable health care, and the nation’s largest provider of sex education".

Yes, let's trust the website of Planned Parenthood - the nations single largest abortion provider - to give us the truth on Planned Parenthood. I trust you'll afford the NRA the same courtesy?

pp.jpg

Comment

In addition to my prior post....

Pro-life organizations are "thanking" Planned Parenthood's newest leader for confirming what really isn't secret to anyone paying attention.

Planned Parenthood's new president is Dr. Leana Wen, who has enjoyed weeks of fawning media interviews since taking the helm in November.

She was apparently unhappy, however, with a Buzzfeed headline that read, "Planned Parenthood's new president wants to focus on non-abortion health care."

Many pro-life groups were watching, including Jim Sedlak of the American Life League, when the new president issued a statement via Twitter.

"And the statement she issued was that Planned Parenthood's core mission is providing, protecting and expanding access to abortion and reproductive health care," Sedlak tells OneNewsNow.

So the truth came out or, as The Daily Signal described it, Wen's tweet "blew more than a decade of subterfuge and hyperbole to bits."

wen.jpg

Comment

As noted elsewhere
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              One of the most common talking points used to rationalize continued federal funding (i.e., your tax dollars) of Planned Parenthood is that they provide essential health services for women with mammograms usually being at the top of the list.

Keep this in mind the next time some pro-abortion advocate trots out that falsehood

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                In addition to my prior post....

Pro-life organizations are "thanking" Planned Parenthood's newest leader for confirming what really isn't secret to anyone paying attention.

Planned Parenthood's new president is Dr. Leana Wen, who has enjoyed weeks of fawning media interviews since taking the helm in November.

She was apparently unhappy, however, with a Buzzfeed headline that read, "Planned Parenthood's new president wants to focus on non-abortion health care."

Many pro-life groups were watching, including Jim Sedlak of the American Life League, when the new president issued a statement via Twitter.

"And the statement she issued was that Planned Parenthood's core mission is providing, protecting and expanding access to abortion and reproductive health care," Sedlak tells OneNewsNow.

So the truth came out or, as The Daily Signal described it, Wen's tweet "blew more than a decade of subterfuge and hyperbole to bits."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37037[/ATTACH]
                They've let the proverbial cat out of the bag previously.

For instance, a couple years back Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains, located in Las Vegas, Nevada, gave its Aurua, Colorado abortion clinic an award for increasing the number of babies killed in abortions.

Source: Planned Parenthood Gives Clinic Award for 'Exceeding Abortion Visits' of Previous Year

Proving once and for all that Planned Parenthood's business is abortion, Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains gave its Aurora abortion clinic an award certificate for "exceeding abortion visits [in the] first half of FY12 compared to the first half of FY13."

Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains is the 2nd largest Planned Parenthood facility in the U.S.

The picture of the award was snapped by a former worker who saw it posted on a bulletin board in Denver. The board displays awards satellite clinics have earned.

The award challenged the Planned Parenthood worker's thinking, since it showed that clinics were given abortion "quotas" to meet, and that this particular clinic had "exceeded" expectations and received an award for doing so.

From a blog post by Abby Johnson, former Planned Parenthood director turned pro-life advocate:
                Ever since I left Planned Parenthood, I have been talking about the abortion quotas that are established inside abortion facilities. Many abortion supporters refused to believe it, citing that surely Planned Parenthood wants abortion to be safe, legal and RARE. If they want something to be RARE, they certainly wouldn't have quotas, right?

Planned Parenthood had a net revenue of $1.21 billion last year, and received $540.6 million in U.S. taxpayer funding.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

So much for wanting to make abortions rare but safe and legal when you award clinics for increasing the number of abortions

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, let's trust the website of Planned Parenthood - the nations single largest abortion provider - to give us the truth on Planned Parenthood.
                  Planned Parenthood is the largest single provider of ALL reproductive health services…including legal abortions. This is a good thing, a much-needed health service for the women of America.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Yes, let's trust the website of Planned Parenthood - the nations single largest abortion provider - to give us the truth on Planned Parenthood. I trust you'll afford the NRA the same courtesy?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37036[/ATTACH]
                    Even the reliably liberal Washington Post's "Fact Checker" took PP to task for their claim that abortions only account for 3% of what they do.

Planned Parenthood’s ‘three percent’

When all services are counted equally, abortion procedures do account for 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s total services.

But there are obvious differences between these services. For example, a first trimester abortion can cost up to $1,500, according to the Planned Parenthood Web site. Yet an emergency contraceptive pill costs around $45 and a urine pregnancy test costs around $10 at a pharmacy. An abortion is a different type of procedure than a vasectomy, or testing for sexually transmitted infections or diseases, or a vaccine for human papilloma virus (HPV), and so forth.

While each service is listed separately, many clients received multiple services. A woman may get a pregnancy test, birth control and a pap smear, but she would be counted three times, once for each service, in the annual report.

Those who oppose abortion rights have criticized this definition, saying the 3 percent figure misleads the public. In a recent New York Post op-ed, National Review editor Rich Lowry wrote a series of analogies to argue that the 3 percent figure “is crafted to obscure the reality of Planned Parenthood’s business:”
                    Such cracked reasoning could be used to obscure the purpose of any organization.

The sponsors of the New York City Marathon could count each small cup of water they hand out (some 2 million cups, compared with 45,000 runners) and say they are mainly in the hydration business.

Or Major League Baseball teams could say that they sell about 20 million hot dogs and play 2,430 games in a season, so baseball is only .012 percent of what they do.

Supporters of Planned Parenthood want to use its health services as leverage to preserve its abortions, as if you can’t get one without the other.

Of course, this is nonsense.

Slate’s Rachael Larimore, the left-leaning online magazine’s conservative senior editor, called this the “most meaningless abortion statistic ever.

As Larimore put it

Amanda, it’s been so long since I’ve seen a reference to the claim that abortions make up only 3 percent of the services that Planned Parenthood provides that I thought maybe they’d stopped trying. It might not be a technically incorrect number, but it is meaningless—to the point of being downright silly— for several reasons. Not the least of which being that Planned Parenthood “unbundles” all of its services so that a pack of pills, an STD test and an exam are three separate services.

Undoubtedly, some of those services are cheaper than others: To illustrate this, let’s make a comparison with an actual business. Say I open a watch store. I sell lots of those cheap plastic digital ones that you can get at discount stores. And I sell some Timex and Casio, and also some nicer designer watches. But then I also keep a few superexpensive Brightlings and Patek Phillipes in stock. And maybe those only make up 3 percent of my sales. But selling only a handful of fancy watches brings in far more than 3 percent of my REVENUES. And so it is with abortion.

It’s impossible to know how much money Planned Parenthood brings in for abortion. Because as specific as the annual report is about the number of services it provides, it’s far less detailed when talking about where its revenue comes from (They are within their rights, so whatever). But it’s easy to calculate, as the Weekly Standard did, that Planned Parenthood gets at least a third of its clinic income—and more than 10 percent of all its revenue, government funding included—from its abortion procedures.

Ask anyone who runs a for-profit business or nonprofit charity if something that brings in one-third of their revenue is “central” to their endeavor, and the answer is likely to be yes. So yes, abortion is central to what Planned Parenthood does. There ARE a few things that aren’t central to their purpose though. As compared with the nearly 334,000 abortions that Planned Parenthood provided in 2011, 28,674 women received prenatal services. And 2,300 were referred to adoption agencies.

Comment

Says it all really.

As best I can tell - this is not Planned Parenthood the healthcare provider - it is Planned Parenthood the PAC. You will find a list of the people who donated to the PAC, and the list of people the PAC money went to here. As best I can tell, the donations were specifically for political support - not for the day-to-day business of Planned Parenthood.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Even the reliably liberal Washington Post's "Fact Checker" took PP to task for their claim that abortions only account for 3% of what they do.

Planned Parenthood’s ‘three percent’

When all services are counted equally, abortion procedures do account for 3 percent of Planned Parenthood’s total services.

But there are obvious differences between these services. For example, a first trimester abortion can cost up to $1,500, according to the Planned Parenthood Web site. Yet an emergency contraceptive pill costs around $45 and a urine pregnancy test costs around $10 at a pharmacy. An abortion is a different type of procedure than a vasectomy, or testing for sexually transmitted infections or diseases, or a vaccine for human papilloma virus (HPV), and so forth.

While each service is listed separately, many clients received multiple services. A woman may get a pregnancy test, birth control and a pap smear, but she would be counted three times, once for each service, in the annual report.

Those who oppose abortion rights have criticized this definition, saying the 3 percent figure misleads the public. In a recent New York Post op-ed, National Review editor Rich Lowry wrote a series of analogies to argue that the 3 percent figure “is crafted to obscure the reality of Planned Parenthood’s business:”
                        Such cracked reasoning could be used to obscure the purpose of any organization.

The sponsors of the New York City Marathon could count each small cup of water they hand out (some 2 million cups, compared with 45,000 runners) and say they are mainly in the hydration business.

Or Major League Baseball teams could say that they sell about 20 million hot dogs and play 2,430 games in a season, so baseball is only .012 percent of what they do.

Supporters of Planned Parenthood want to use its health services as leverage to preserve its abortions, as if you can’t get one without the other.

Of course, this is nonsense.

Slate’s Rachael Larimore, the left-leaning online magazine’s conservative senior editor, called this the “most meaningless abortion statistic ever.

As Larimore put it

Amanda, it’s been so long since I’ve seen a reference to the claim that abortions make up only 3 percent of the services that Planned Parenthood provides that I thought maybe they’d stopped trying. It might not be a technically incorrect number, but it is meaningless—to the point of being downright silly— for several reasons. Not the least of which being that Planned Parenthood “unbundles” all of its services so that a pack of pills, an STD test and an exam are three separate services.

Undoubtedly, some of those services are cheaper than others: To illustrate this, let’s make a comparison with an actual business. Say I open a watch store. I sell lots of those cheap plastic digital ones that you can get at discount stores. And I sell some Timex and Casio, and also some nicer designer watches. But then I also keep a few superexpensive Brightlings and Patek Phillipes in stock. And maybe those only make up 3 percent of my sales. But selling only a handful of fancy watches brings in far more than 3 percent of my REVENUES. And so it is with abortion.

It’s impossible to know how much money Planned Parenthood brings in for abortion. Because as specific as the annual report is about the number of services it provides, it’s far less detailed when talking about where its revenue comes from (They are within their rights, so whatever). But it’s easy to calculate, as the Weekly Standard did, that Planned Parenthood gets at least a third of its clinic income—and more than 10 percent of all its revenue, government funding included—from its abortion procedures.

Ask anyone who runs a for-profit business or nonprofit charity if something that brings in one-third of their revenue is “central” to their endeavor, and the answer is likely to be yes. So yes, abortion is central to what Planned Parenthood does. There ARE a few things that aren’t central to their purpose though. As compared with the nearly 334,000 abortions that Planned Parenthood provided in 2011, 28,674 women received prenatal services. And 2,300 were referred to adoption agencies.
                        This argument is ludicrous to any reader that is paying attention. It's like suggesting that Home Depot is wrong to say "power tools is 3% of our business" because the people who bought power tools also commonly bought other things and each thing is being counted separately. Power tools can be 3% of their business two ways:

1) 3% of the items sold are power tools
                        2) 3% of the revenue they make is from power tools.

The same is true of abortions. It can be 3% of their business by service or by revenue. I have no idea which they are using, but I am inclined to believe it is revenue. Given the wide range of services they offer, and the differential in cost, it would be as odd to think 3% is by service as it would be to think 3% of Home Depot's items sold are "power tools."

In either case - there is no misleading here that I can see. And the baseball analogy I have already spoken to. It is also badly flawed. I can't believe it is still being repeated all over the place.

I dislike abortion. I think it is an immoral thing. I wish it would end. But I also think if you're going to make arguments they should be intellectually honest. These, IMO, are not.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Larimore (according to the quote) records 3% of services, not of revenues. Confirmation that 3.4% is a count of the services provided on the Planned Parenthood PDF

Abortions performed (fy 2017/2018): 332,757
                          @ $300/procedure (assumes a price fall since 2014 from $388- $404 [depending on stage of development] per uncomplicated procedure)
                          Direct proceeds from actual abortion ESTIMATED MINIMUM: 99,827,100
                          Income from services (examinations etc) provided in association with abortion: ?
                          Combined annual income from all services provided (fy 2017/2018): 229.9 million USD

Absolute minimum 33% of revenue FROM SERVICES PROVIDED comes directly from abortion (In reality it would be more than 40%). Other monies come in from donations and investments.
                          Last edited by tabibito; 05-14-2019, 07:27 AM.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            This argument is ludicrous to any reader that is paying attention. It's like suggesting that Home Depot is wrong to say "power tools is 3% of our business" because the people who bought power tools also commonly bought other things and each thing is being counted separately. Power tools can be 3% of their business two ways:

1) 3% of the items sold are power tools
                            2) 3% of the revenue they make is from power tools.

The same is true of abortions. It can be 3% of their business by service or by revenue. I have no idea which they are using, but I am inclined to believe it is revenue. Given the wide range of services they offer, and the differential in cost, it would be as odd to think 3% is by service as it would be to think 3% of Home Depot's items sold are "power tools."

In either case - there is no misleading here that I can see. And the baseball analogy I have already spoken to. It is also badly flawed. I can't believe it is still being repeated all over the place.

I dislike abortion. I think it is an immoral thing. I wish it would end. But I also think if you're going to make arguments they should be intellectually honest. These, IMO, are not.
                            Rogue posted a link to an article that explains where the 3% figure comes from and why it's misleading. Did you skip that? PP says that it's a percentage of the services they provide, not a percentage of their income. Go read the article. It explains that on a per-patient basis, it's most likely a lot higher than 3%.
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

• Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                              Rogue posted a link to an article that explains where the 3% figure comes from and why it's misleading. Did you skip that? PP says that it's a percentage of the services they provide, not a percentage of their income. Go read the article. It explains that on a per-patient basis, it's most likely a lot higher than 3%.
                              It is to be hand waved away as a "right wing meme" even though both sources noting how the whole 3% figure is a sham are unquestionably liberal.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                Larimore (according to the quote) records 3% of services, not of revenues. Confirmation that 3.4% is a count of the services provided on the Planned Parenthood PDF

Abortions performed (fy 2017/2018): 332,757
                                @ $300/procedure (assumes a price fall since 2014 from $388- $404 [depending on stage of development] per uncomplicated procedure)
                                Direct proceeds from actual abortion ESTIMATED MINIMUM: 99,827,100
                                Income from services (examinations etc) provided in association with abortion: ?
                                Combined annual income from all services provided (fy 2017/2018): 229.9 million USD

Absolute minimum 33% of revenue FROM SERVICES PROVIDED comes directly from abortion (In reality it would be more than 40%). Other monies come in from donations and investments.
                                OK - so we now have confirmed that 3.4% reflects the number of abortions, not revenue, as I expected. They claim 9.7M services, so 3.4% of 9.7M is around 330K abortions. They report 332,757 in this document.

But your dollar numbers are way off. First, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 66 percent of legal abortions occur within the first eight weeks of gestation, and 92 percent are performed within the first 13 weeks. Only 1.2 percent occur at or after 21 weeks (CDC, 2013)

That means abut 306K abortions are first trimester, putting them in the $350-950 range Planned Parenthood cites as their cost. That puts the revenue for these between $107M and $290M with a mean of $198M. The other 27K presumably cost more, so let's inflate those to the $1500 you cite, adding $41M to the total. That means PP is seeing between $148 and $331M from abortions, with a mean of $239M. According to your own document, their total revenue was $1.665B, which means they are seeing between 8.9% and 19.9% from abortions, and the median is 14.4% of their total revenues.

If you attempt to narrow it to "just what they take in from actual procedures," then you end up with a highly inflated number because of the Hyde Amendment, which prevents them from using federal funds to subsidize abortions. Ergo, revenue from abortions will appear inflated because they cannot be subsidized by federal money, but all of their other services they offer can.

As I said - I find abortions morally repugnant and would love to see all of these numbers be "zero." But if we're going to make arguments, let's at least keep them intellectually honest. And none of this gets to the abortion issue in the least - it's just dollars and cents. It doesn't move us any closer to solving the issue.

Comment