Page 51 of 62 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 612

Thread: Pro-choice distortion

  1. #501
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,001
    Amen (Given)
    11277
    Amen (Received)
    24066
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    2. So you think parents should teach children that sex has risks and consequences? What do you suppose families do now? Especially traditional families.
    More importantly, because the schools have our kids for such a large portion of the week, should the "sex education" stress more of the personal responsibility, and include a preference for adoption over abortion? Of course, this would have go back to the long abandoned proclamation that abortions should be "safe, legal and rare".
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  2. #502
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,190
    Amen (Given)
    4789
    Amen (Received)
    21321
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    What word do you think I singled out?



    To complete what I said, you need to add "about when a human person begins."



    No claim was made that this would solve the abortion issue completely, Sparko. What it does is change the discussion to "what CAN we do that has a chance of impacting abortions significantly?
    You are the one whining about how what we are doing is not working, so YOU answer the question. What is your solution? So far it is "nothing" - you just want to pontificate on the topic, condemn our effort while not actually proposing anything new. So far most of what you have suggested, we are already doing and you seem blissfully unaware of it. That shows us how much you actually know about the topic or our side's efforts.

  3. #503
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    48,190
    Amen (Given)
    4789
    Amen (Received)
    21321
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    More importantly, because the schools have our kids for such a large portion of the week, should the "sex education" stress more of the personal responsibility, and include a preference for adoption over abortion? Of course, this would have go back to the long abandoned proclamation that abortions should be "safe, legal and rare".
    And whenever we try to get such education in the schools, the left claims we are trying to sneak religion into the school and/or mock the idea of abstinence or personal responsibility when it comes to sex.

    Carp keeps claiming all we do is condemn women who want abortions and do nothing else, yet that is not true. We condemn the institutions that promote abortion, and the political advocates, but not the women who are pregnant and trying to decide. We are there to help them. The prochoice crowd does everything in the world to try to stop us. We also try to educate about sex and consequences. again the left tries to stop us. We are doing everything carp claims we should be doing but doesn't seem to realize that we are doing it. He is burning a straw man.

  4. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  5. #504
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,789
    Amen (Given)
    1060
    Amen (Received)
    17935
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Connected to.... agreed
    Dependent on....agreed

    Part of?

    I don't see how you make that particular case.
    IIRC they have distinct DNAs which would make them separate individuals.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  6. #505
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,001
    Amen (Given)
    11277
    Amen (Received)
    24066
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    IIRC they have distinct DNAs which would make them separate individuals.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    When fertilization occurs, a brand new being with its own unique HUMAN DNA - the map for EVERYTHING that person will become - exists. That's science.
    National Geographic put together a television program (“In the Womb,” 2005) documenting the development of the baby throughout pregnancy. In the introduction of their program, they sum up the scientific knowledge of the beginning of life in the following way:

    The two cells gradually and gracefully become one. This is the moment of conception [fertilization], when an individual’s unique set of DNA is created, a human signature that never existed before and will never be repeated.


    I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was even incorrect when I used to say "Except twins" --

    It is a basic tenet of human biology, taught in grade schools everywhere: Identical twins come from the same fertilized egg and, thus, share identical genetic profiles.

    But according to new research, though identical twins share very similar genes, identical they are not. The discovery opens a new understanding of why two people who hail from the same embryo can differ in phenotype, as biologists refer to a person’s physical manifestation.

    The new findings appear in the March issue of The American Journal of Human Genetics, in a study conducted by scientists at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and universities in Sweden and the Netherlands. The scientists examined the genes of 10 pairs of monozygotic, or identical, twins, including 9 pairs in which one twin showed signs of dementia or Parkinson’s disease and the other did not.

    ....

    “When we started this study, people were expecting that only epigenetics would differ greatly between twins,” said Jan Dumanski, a professor of genetics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and an author of the study. “But what we found are changes on the genetic level, the DNA sequence itself.”
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-16-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  7. #506
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,239
    Amen (Given)
    25
    Amen (Received)
    1078
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You are the one whining about how what we are doing is not working, so YOU answer the question. What is your solution? So far it is "nothing" - you just want to pontificate on the topic, condemn our effort while not actually proposing anything new. So far most of what you have suggested, we are already doing and you seem blissfully unaware of it. That shows us how much you actually know about the topic or our side's efforts.
    Sparko - this conversation is showing every sign of going down the usual rathole. I'm going to bow out and concentrate my attention in the other thread. You are welcome to join us if you wish. It is, after all, your site!
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  8. #507
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,987
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5517
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    And whenever we try to get such education in the schools, the left claims we are trying to sneak religion into the school and/or mock the idea of abstinence or personal responsibility when it comes to sex.

    Carp keeps claiming all we do is condemn women who want abortions and do nothing else, yet that is not true. We condemn the institutions that promote abortion, and the political advocates, but not the women who are pregnant and trying to decide. We are there to help them. The prochoice crowd does everything in the world to try to stop us. We also try to educate about sex and consequences. again the left tries to stop us. We are doing everything carp claims we should be doing but doesn't seem to realize that we are doing it. He is burning a straw man.
    I posted this in carpe's parallel thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Pro-abortionists want abortions to be freely available without restriction. Pro-lifers want abortion outlawed. That is the ultimate goal of each side. You might be able to find temporary middle ground, but as soon as either side sees the needle start to shift one way or the other, that "middle ground" will vanish, and you're right back to where you started.

    For example, new laws are enacted that make adoption faster and easier. Great! Everybody's happy! Next, some legislatures draft a law suggesting that abortion should only be allowed in cases where adoptive parents can not be found after a good-faith search. Oops! No more middle ground -- and you would probably even see some on the pro-abortion side start to condemn adoption services and decry them as a "backdoor ban" on abortion. Oh well, so much for that solution. What's next? Better sex education? Just as long as it doesn't include a frank and medically accurate description of the abortion process because that might discourage kids from embracing pro-abortion ideology.

    The point is that the pro-abortion side will happily accept any compromise that doesn't actually prevent or restrict abortion, meaning that all you're offering here is a false sense of victory for the pro-life side.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  9. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
  10. #508
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,987
    Amen (Given)
    5522
    Amen (Received)
    5517
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    carpe asked for civility in this thread, CP, you might try honoring his request.
    Wrong thread, Jimmy.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  12. #509
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,001
    Amen (Given)
    11277
    Amen (Received)
    24066
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    carpe asked for civility in this thread, CP, you might try honoring his request.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Wrong thread, Jimmy.
    He tries SO very very hard!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  13. #510
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,114
    Amen (Given)
    2457
    Amen (Received)
    1762
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Connected to.... agreed
    Dependent on....agreed

    Part of?

    I don't see how you make that particular case.
    Given that before viability the fetus is “Connected to” and “Dependent on” the mother’s body, how is it not then “Part of” the mother’s body.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •