Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pro-choice distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah just double down instead of going "oops"
    That always works

Notice the wink, Sparko...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Notice the wink, Sparko...
      notice the "outtie" carp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        She's a conservative Christian, Carpe, note that I said "very unlikely".
        Sure - double down instead of just saying "oops"
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          I'm not interested in romance or that thing humans do to reproduce. I have six adorable nieces. Who are an adorable handful. Even though I don't get to see them very often due to them being out of state currently.
          Oh SO many possible responses...so little time...

Comment

Oh SO many possible responses...so little time...
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              My twisted sense of humor...

Comment

Big Abortion?
                It's an industry. A very profitable one.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Bottom line - this has been such a polarized issue for so long, getting truly neutral information is extremely difficult.
                  Ya think?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I've looked for stats, but they vary wildly, because it seems the only folks interested in publishing anything on this are the opposing parties, and I am suspicious of their slant.

Still looking.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's an industry. A very profitable one.
                    Healthcare is an industry - and a very profitable one. Abortions are one part of that, and I presume profitable as well. So is cardiac care - but I don't see anyone calling it "Big Cardiac." Nor do I see anyone calling it "Big Pediatrics" or "Big Psychiatrics."

It seems to me your are calling it out separately as a side effect of pre-existing anti-abortion stance, unless you think no branch of medicine should be a profitable enterprise?

Comment

Healthcare is an industry - and a very profitable one. Abortions are one part of that, and I presume profitable as well. So is cardiac care - but I don't see anyone calling it "Big Cardiac." Nor do I see anyone calling it "Big Pediatrics" or "Big Psychiatrics."
                      Hmmm... let's see... vitally important cardiac care to save the life of an individual.... elective abortion to terminate the life of an individual. yeah, I see how these are exactly the same.

Comment

Hmmm... let's see... vitally important cardiac care to save the life of an individual.... elective abortion to terminate the life of an individual. yeah, I see how these are exactly the same.
                        I don't recall saying they were "the same."

I said (in so many words) that you appear to be carving a particular niche out of overall healthcare to call-out as "Big X" because you don't want it to exist. Correct?

Comment

It seems to me your are calling it out separately as a side effect of pre-existing anti-abortion stance, unless you think no branch of medicine should be a profitable enterprise?
                          This probably needs its own thread. Still mulling this over, actually. I believe in free enterprise, and I think entrepreneurs should be rewarded for the risks they take. But I'm conflicted in the field of medicine, because I have seen such gross abuses. I used to have, as a client, a family practice where drug reps would frequently come to pitch their wares. It's not as bad as it was "in the good old days", but the stuff they would do to push their products, the salaries they were paid by "Big Pharm".... It was absolutely incredible.

I've also served on a board of directors for a hospital, where they had a huge number of medicare patients, and medicare would frequently come in and do an audit, and "recoup" profits because of coding errors, or.... so, in response, doctors and practitioners get clever in the way they code. My own daughter worked for a time as a "coder" for a medical practice, and it didn't take long to figure out how to code a procedure to get the maximum payment, or what other procedures might be added in to allow profit...

So, I confess I'm conflicted as to how profitable medicine should be, or what regulation is justified.

Comment

I don't recall saying they were "the same."
                            Oh, come on, you said (in so many words....)

I said (in so many words) that you appear to be carving a particular niche out of overall healthcare to call-out as "Big X" because you don't want it to exist. Correct?
                            I answered more fully in my previous post, but I think it's silly to bring up cardiac care in the same discussion with abortion - as if the two were somehow on the same plane.

Comment

Oh, come on, you said (in so many words....)
                              No - I said they were one part of the healthcare industry, and gave examples of other parts. At no point did I equate them.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I answered more fully in my previous post, but I think it's silly to bring up cardiac care in the same discussion with abortion - as if the two were somehow on the same plane.
                              They are not "on the same plane" in any absolute sense. Nor is Psychiatry and Pediatrics "on the same plane" in any absolute sense. They are different in what they treat. They are different in whom they treat. They are different in what technologies are involved. They are alike in that they are both subsets of the overall healthcare industry.

Do you disagree with any of those statements? If so, I'd be curious which ones...

Comment

No - I said they were one part of the healthcare industry, and gave examples of other parts. At no point did I equate them.
                                Sure.

They are not "on the same plane" in any absolute sense.
                                Or any moral sense. Or any hyppocratic sense.

Nor is Psychiatry and Pediatrics "on the same plane" in any absolute sense. They are different in what they treat.
                                Yes, these, hopefully, attempt to improve human life, not destroy it.

They are different in whom they treat. They are different in what technologies are involved.
                                Speaking of technology - advancements actually work against so much of Big Abortion's claims!

They are alike in that they are both subsets of the overall healthcare industry.
                                Are we still talking about abortion?

Do you disagree with any of those statements? If so, I'd be curious which ones...
                                If we're talking about an abortive procedure to save the life of a mother, it's in the same realm, yes. If we're talking about an elective procedure to terminate a human life, not so much.

Comment