Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Ouch!!!

  1. #11
    42nd Mojave Year DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    6,389
    Amen (Given)
    5420
    Amen (Received)
    2120
    In Cali the minimum liability is $15,000 per claimant or $30,000 per bodily injury. I've not been in an accident where that had to be claimed so not sure about anything else.

  2. #12
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,923
    Amen (Given)
    1081
    Amen (Received)
    18521
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlejoe View Post
    Glad your ok man! A hit that rolled a van is quite the impact. It truly IS a miracle you weren't injured more severely!

    Is $5,000 a usual number for insurance personal injury liability? Because that sounds awfully low now days.
    Being in a trauma center and having CT scans I think it's safe to say that it'll exceed $5000. The person I talked to really pissed me off with her cavalier attitude and I let her know it although she called back today to apologize. Several friends have advised me to hire a lawyer but while I would have no problem suing the insurance company I don't want any part of suing Steve who has been my best friend for 40 years. In fact he told me that he'll cover anything that the insurance doesn't cover. Even though I don't appear to need any more medical care I don't want to put that burden on him.


    Incidentally, the CT scan revealed that I have a kidney stone but that might dissolve or become a problem down the road. I also have a tiny "nodule" or something in a lung. The doctor thinks it is probably scar tissue or the like but advises that I have another x-ray in a few months to see if it has grown.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  3. #13
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,202
    Amen (Given)
    4895
    Amen (Received)
    21819
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Being in a trauma center and having CT scans I think it's safe to say that it'll exceed $5000. The person I talked to really pissed me off with her cavalier attitude and I let her know it although she called back today to apologize. Several friends have advised me to hire a lawyer but while I would have no problem suing the insurance company I don't want any part of suing Steve who has been my best friend for 40 years. In fact he told me that he'll cover anything that the insurance doesn't cover. Even though I don't appear to need any more medical care I don't want to put that burden on him.


    Incidentally, the CT scan revealed that I have a kidney stone but that might dissolve or become a problem down the road. I also have a tiny "nodule" or something in a lung. The doctor thinks it is probably scar tissue or the like but advises that I have another x-ray in a few months to see if it has grown.
    Have your friend look at his insurance policy and tell you what his liability coverage is. It should be way more than $5,000. The insurance company might be trying to low-ball you and trick you into accepting a low amount up front. Don't sign anything until you get your doctor bills. And if you did sue, it would be the insurance company, not your friend.



    Just looking at my policy the personal injury coverage is $300,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence.
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-02-2019 at 05:57 AM.

  4. #14
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,923
    Amen (Given)
    1081
    Amen (Received)
    18521
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Have your friend look at his insurance policy and tell you what his liability coverage is. It should be way more than $5,000. The insurance company might be trying to low-ball you and trick you into accepting a low amount up front. Don't sign anything until you get your doctor bills. And if you did sue, it would be the insurance company, not your friend.



    Just looking at my policy the personal injury coverage is $300,000 per person/$300,000 per occurrence.
    Found this:

    Georgia law requires that all drivers must have at least the following required minimum auto insurance coverages for your vehicle:

    • Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
    • Property Damage Liability: $25,000 per accident
    • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury*: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
    • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage*: $25,000 with a $250, $500, or $1000 deductible



    *Uninsured Motorist coverages can be rejected.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  5. #15
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,202
    Amen (Given)
    4895
    Amen (Received)
    21819
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Found this:

    Georgia law requires that all drivers must have at least the following required minimum auto insurance coverages for your vehicle:

    • Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
    • Property Damage Liability: $25,000 per accident
    • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury*: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
    • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage*: $25,000 with a $250, $500, or $1000 deductible



    *Uninsured Motorist coverages can be rejected.
    yeah so their $5000 offer is nonsense.

  6. #16
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,459
    Amen (Given)
    7919
    Amen (Received)
    8170
    Tell 'em YOU MEAN BUSINESS

    M.jpg


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  7. #17
    42nd Mojave Year DesertBerean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Barstow, CA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    6,389
    Amen (Given)
    5420
    Amen (Received)
    2120
    We are required to carry uninsured motorist coverage. I also had added unins property damage which saved my bacon when someone backed into my front fender couple years ago.

    More I read about medical coverage (it is a separate line item on mine) the more I suspect one choose how much you're willing to pay.

  8. #18
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,202
    Amen (Given)
    4895
    Amen (Received)
    21819
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    We are required to carry uninsured motorist coverage. I also had added unins property damage which saved my bacon when someone backed into my front fender couple years ago.

    More I read about medical coverage (it is a separate line item on mine) the more I suspect one choose how much you're willing to pay.
    Yeah there are different levels. But like rogue found out, there are also state limits on how low they can go. And most policies offer significantly over the state minimum at even their basic plans.

  9. #19
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,325
    Amen (Given)
    1796
    Amen (Received)
    1836
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Found this:

    Georgia law requires that all drivers must have at least the following required minimum auto insurance coverages for your vehicle:

    • Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
    • Property Damage Liability: $25,000 per accident
    • Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury*: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
    • Uninsured Motorist Property Damage*: $25,000 with a $250, $500, or $1000 deductible



    *Uninsured Motorist coverages can be rejected.
    Yeah, they call quickly and try to get you to settle even before the bills come in. They did that to me when I was involved with an accident. Offerered me $10,000. Hospital bills alone were over $13,000, plus my car that was totaled (approx. worth of $4000), ambulance fee's were nearly $1000. Plus, I missed a week of work and was at that time a contract worker with no vacation to take. I went back and forth with them a couple of times and then threatened to get a lawyer involved, they eventually gave me a satisfactory settlement of $23,000.

    ETA: My sister told me that a friend of hers was in an accident. She looked up the law and found out the max was $25,000 so when they called, she told them what the law was and said she would settle for the max if they write the check now. They paid her the $25,000...so
    Last edited by Littlejoe; 05-02-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  10. #20
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    50,923
    Amen (Given)
    1081
    Amen (Received)
    18521
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    yeah so their $5000 offer is nonsense.
    "Nonsense" is not the word I would use.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •