Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dashcam recommendations

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Do you take your dashcam out of your car every time you leave it?

That has been recommended to us.
    Nah. It cost less than $50. And I pretty much always park in a garage. But it slides off the mount easily. Too easily actually. It keeps sliding off while I am driving. I need to stick a piece of tape on it.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Nah. It cost less than $50. And I pretty much always park in a garage. But it slides off the mount easily. Too easily actually. It keeps sliding off while I am driving. I need to stick a piece of tape on it.
    Hmm.

We are not finding any locally that mount on the dashboard. One we found clips onto the rear view mirror, but not sure it would fit on ours as the mirror and it's mount are pretty thick.

Saw one that I do like that is quite a slim model with a wider screen, moderately priced. All that we looked at so far are rechargeable batteries except the one that clips to the mirror, which has a cord and a plug.

We were advised by the OTS fellow that emailed me that there may be issues with suction cup mounted cams in the extreme heat and cold we get. We have no garage, just park in the driveway, and would likely be removing it anyway when we leave the car, so that may not be an issue with us.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here is my current set up...

Attachment 37747
    And the view from the dashboard side:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hmm.

We are not finding any locally that mount on the dashboard. One we found clips onto the rear view mirror, but not sure it would fit on ours as the mirror and it's mount are pretty thick.

Saw one that I do like that is quite a slim model with a wider screen, moderately priced. All that we looked at so far are rechargeable batteries except the one that clips to the mirror, which has a cord and a plug.

We were advised by the OTS fellow that emailed me that there may be issues with suction cup mounted cams in the extreme heat and cold we get. We have no garage, just park in the driveway, and would likely be removing it anyway when we leave the car, so that may not be an issue with us.
    Extreme heat in Canada?

Yeah if I leave my car outside in the sun, the suction cup sometimes comes loose but not often. You could always glue the suction cup to the windshield. or get one that mounts to the rear view mirror. Some will attach to the post that the rear view mirror hangs from.

as far as I know, all dash cams have batteries AND cords. The batteries are just to keep recording in case you get in an accident and lose power. It will keep recording for 30 seconds or so. As far as dash mounting, I don't know. It seems like if you mounted it on the dash, it would not be able to see what is ahead very well from such a low angle.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    And the view from the dashboard side:

If you could see my GPS clearly you would see that the car icon is a pirate ship.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Extreme heat in Canada?
    That means that water can go from its solid state to a liquid state.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

7. Amen QuantaFille amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Extreme heat in Canada?

Yeah if I leave my car outside in the sun, the suction cup sometimes comes loose but not often. You could always glue the suction cup to the windshield. or get one that mounts to the rear view mirror. Some will attach to the post that the rear view mirror hangs from.

as far as I know, all dash cams have batteries AND cords. The batteries are just to keep recording in case you get in an accident and lose power. It will keep recording for 30 seconds or so. As far as dash mounting, I don't know. It seems like if you mounted it on the dash, it would not be able to see what is ahead very well from such a low angle.
    Somebody suggested glue, which makes me cringe so we likely won't do that.

And I believe that the batteries are rechargeable so may come with a cord, or you might need a charger, which we have.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Somebody suggested glue, which makes me cringe so we likely won't do that.

And I believe that the batteries are rechargeable so may come with a cord, or you might need a charger, which we have.
    The batteries are only for when you lose power. The cameras get their normal power from your cigarette lighter which also keep the battery charged. Some only have a capacitor instead of a battery. It only needs to keep it on for 30 seconds or so if you lose power.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The batteries are only for when you lose power. The cameras get their normal power from your cigarette lighter which also keep the battery charged. Some only have a capacitor instead of a battery. It only needs to keep it on for 30 seconds or so if you lose power.
    I understood that some we've looked at run on rechargeable batteries. Will have to check into that more.

I have seen some vids on the interwebz that show parking lot incidents when I assume nobody is in the car that is recording.

Those cams must run on batteries.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I understood that some we've looked at run on rechargeable batteries. Will have to check into that more.

I have seen some vids on the interwebz that show parking lot incidents when I assume nobody is in the car that is recording.

Those cams must run on batteries.
    They either run on batteries while the car is off, or you have to wire them into the car battery at the fuse box. None that I know of just run on batteries. What would be the point since you have power right there in the car?