Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dashcam recommendations

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    They either run on batteries while the car is off, or you have to wire them into the car battery at the fuse box. None that I know of just run on batteries. What would be the point since you have power right there in the car?
    Will double check. Thanks, dear pirate.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    They either run on batteries while the car is off, or you have to wire them into the car battery at the fuse box. None that I know of just run on batteries. What would be the point since you have power right there in the car?
    You wouldn't necessarily have to wire it in at the fuse box. My van has two cigarette lighter outlets on the console. One that only has power if the engine is running, and one that gets power directly from the vehicle battery. I don't think that's a common configuration, though.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

3. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    You wouldn't necessarily have to wire it in at the fuse box. My van has two cigarette lighter outlets on the console. One that only has power if the engine is running, and one that gets power directly from the vehicle battery. I don't think that's a common configuration, though.
    More and more of the newer cars come with a power outlet that's "always on".
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

5. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    More and more of the newer cars come with a power outlet that's "always on".
    Ahh, ok. My van is about 10 years old and I don't often drive newer vehicles, so I guess I really don't know what's considered "common" anymore.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, this is the dashcam we got. Only ours didn't come with the PanicSafe thingy.

We paid $69.99 for it at Staples. The only complaint I have is that the instruction book is sorely lacking on how to set it up, and there are some things that I need to either ask you guys about, maybe.

I may ask MelMak first because he at least gets the tech stuff that I don't understand.

Also, it's EXTREMELY difficult to get the camera off the mount, so we may be leaving it in the vehicle when we are in a store for a little while, and just bring it in the house when we are home.

I like that it's really slim and has a nice largish screen compared to some others we saw.

I'll let you know how we like it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

8. Amen DesertBerean, Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Used the cam for the first time tonight. Came home and looked at the video. It's very, very clear, and a nice wide view, although the peripheral is likely not any better than another camera.

MelMak helped with a couple of things in the instructions, but the rest I can't figure out. However, it's set to default for those things, so I am not going to worry about it.

It comes with an 8G memory card, and I splurged $10 on a 32G, so it will hold about 4 hours at the resolution it's set at.

So far, I like it!

10. Amen Cow Poke, DesertBerean, Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Used the cam for the first time tonight. Came home and looked at the video. It's very, very clear, and a nice wide view, although the peripheral is likely not any better than another camera.

MelMak helped with a couple of things in the instructions, but the rest I can't figure out. However, it's set to default for those things, so I am not going to worry about it.

It comes with an 8G memory card, and I splurged $10 on a 32G, so it will hold about 4 hours at the resolution it's set at.

So far, I like it!
    Just keep an eye out for UFOs and Big Foot.

12. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The cord was long enough for us to wrap around the right side of the windshield and over to the outlet. It's a heck of a thing to get the cam off the mount, so we just unplug it and unsuction the whole thing when we leave the car.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    The cord was long enough for us to wrap around the right side of the windshield and over to the outlet. It's a heck of a thing to get the cam off the mount, so we just unplug it and unsuction the whole thing when we leave the car.
    Mine was hard to get the camera off the mount too at first, but now it's so loose it vibrates off on it's own when I am driving and I had to wrap some tape around it. I might just glue it on, because I never take it off anyway, I just pop out the sd-card when I want the video and put it in my laptop to download.