Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Dashcam recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    Yup, we have Best Buy. Also thought of checking with our dealership.
    I'm gonna guess your dealership would be considerably more expensive - they probably use ASA (or equivalent) mechanics, and charge minimum time and labor. Best Buy will give you a flat cost up front.

Best Buy will also usually have somebody who can walk you through the various options and you can "hands on" look at them. (the various options, not the somebodys)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I'm gonna guess your dealership would be considerably more expensive - they probably use ASA (or equivalent) mechanics, and charge minimum time and labor. Best Buy will give you a flat cost up front.

Best Buy will also usually have somebody who can walk you through the various options and you can "hands on" look at them. (the various options, not the somebodys)

Yup, we thought the dealership would be costly, so that will be a last resort.

Both dealership and BB are equally 20 or so miles away. Going to check in town first.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Both dealership and BB are equally 20 or so miles away. Going to check in town first.
        The only thing I didn't like about BB is that they give you an appointment time, but that depends on them getting the previous appointments done on time. I usually try to be the very first appointment in the morning, and allow for the probability that "half an hour" BB time is really "one hour twenty minutes" in earth time. But they do good work, and they warranty what they do. I've used them for backup cameras, radio installs...
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

if you don't have a rear camera, you really don't need a professional installation, as long as you don't mind the cord hanging down from your rear view mirror.

Also check with your local laws. some places have anything mounted to your windshield or hanging from your mirror as illegal because it "obstructs your view" supposedly. So you might have to do a dash mount.

Comment

I've been checking out those dash cams/backup packages, and some claimed to have a WiFi connection for transmitting the video I think. But all required hard wiring for the mechanism that triggers the back up cam - it has to have a connection to the backup lights.

Not sure if those packages allowed the back camera to stay on though.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              if you don't have a rear camera, you really don't need a professional installation, as long as you don't mind the cord hanging down from your rear view mirror.

Also check with your local laws. some places have anything mounted to your windshield or hanging from your mirror as illegal because it "obstructs your view" supposedly. So you might have to do a dash mount.

I've sent an email to the provincial office of traffic safety to ask.

Thanks for the tip!

I suspect, however, that if a particular mount type is sold commonly here it's legal to use.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Heard back from OTS. There are no restrictions in my province for the mounting of dashcams with the proviso that neither the wires nor the mount obstruct the driver's view.

They also included a very nice list of tips that I think I will print out and take with when we go shopping.

Comment

Heard back from OTS. There are no restrictions in my province for the mounting of dashcams with the proviso that neither the wires nor the mount obstruct the driver's view.

They also included a very nice list of tips that I think I will print out and take with when we go shopping.
                  They would freak if they saw my car's windshield. I need to take a photo and post it here. It looks like a cop car. I have my GPS on one side, my Dashcam in the middle and my phone mounted below that.

Comment

They would freak if they saw my car's windshield. I need to take a photo and post it here. It looks like a cop car. I have my GPS on one side, my Dashcam in the middle and my phone mounted below that.
                    Here is my current set up...

dashcam.jpg

Comment

Do you take your dashcam out of your car every time you leave it?

That has been recommended to us.

Comment

Do you take your dashcam out of your car every time you leave it?

That has been recommended to us.
                        Nah. It cost less than $50. And I pretty much always park in a garage. But it slides off the mount easily. Too easily actually. It keeps sliding off while I am driving. I need to stick a piece of tape on it.

Comment

Nah. It cost less than $50. And I pretty much always park in a garage. But it slides off the mount easily. Too easily actually. It keeps sliding off while I am driving. I need to stick a piece of tape on it.
                          Hmm.

We are not finding any locally that mount on the dashboard. One we found clips onto the rear view mirror, but not sure it would fit on ours as the mirror and it's mount are pretty thick.

Saw one that I do like that is quite a slim model with a wider screen, moderately priced. All that we looked at so far are rechargeable batteries except the one that clips to the mirror, which has a cord and a plug.

We were advised by the OTS fellow that emailed me that there may be issues with suction cup mounted cams in the extreme heat and cold we get. We have no garage, just park in the driveway, and would likely be removing it anyway when we leave the car, so that may not be an issue with us.

Comment

Here is my current set up...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37747[/ATTACH]
                            And the view from the dashboard side:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hmm.

We are not finding any locally that mount on the dashboard. One we found clips onto the rear view mirror, but not sure it would fit on ours as the mirror and it's mount are pretty thick.

Saw one that I do like that is quite a slim model with a wider screen, moderately priced. All that we looked at so far are rechargeable batteries except the one that clips to the mirror, which has a cord and a plug.

We were advised by the OTS fellow that emailed me that there may be issues with suction cup mounted cams in the extreme heat and cold we get. We have no garage, just park in the driveway, and would likely be removing it anyway when we leave the car, so that may not be an issue with us.
                              Extreme heat in Canada?

Yeah if I leave my car outside in the sun, the suction cup sometimes comes loose but not often. You could always glue the suction cup to the windshield. or get one that mounts to the rear view mirror. Some will attach to the post that the rear view mirror hangs from.

as far as I know, all dash cams have batteries AND cords. The batteries are just to keep recording in case you get in an accident and lose power. It will keep recording for 30 seconds or so. As far as dash mounting, I don't know. It seems like if you mounted it on the dash, it would not be able to see what is ahead very well from such a low angle.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                And the view from the dashboard side:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37748[/ATTACH]
                                If you could see my GPS clearly you would see that the car icon is a pirate ship.

Comment