Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Dashcam recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashcam recommendations

I got a dashcam as a christmas gift a few years ago and I loved it, but it was one of those chinese jobs with an incomprehensible user manual and impossible menu controls to set everything up. It does take extremely good video even at night.

But recently it hasn't been keeping a charge if I park my car for more than a few days. When I turn it back on, it has lost the date time. And it is a royal pain to set the date and time.

So I think it is time to get a new dashcam, one that is preferably easy to set up and use, and still has all the bells and whistles, like continuous loop recording, shock sensor, 1080P, night vision and a nice screen so you can see what is being recorded.

So does anyone have any recommendations? Or even a good source that reviews dashcams? I think I am done with the cheap chinese knockoffs (you seem to find the exact same dashcam everywhere on amazon, but with different brand names stuck on them.)

I think this is the one I have (looks the same but mine has some other brand name)

https://www.amazon.com/Crosstour-Das...gateway&sr=8-8

Interested.

I wish I had had one when my truck was hit by the no insurance, no driver license crazy woman.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Interested.

I wish I had had one when my truck was hit by the no insurance, no driver license crazy woman.
      I almost got hit this morning by some idiot who was in a left turning lane at an intersection, and I was in the next lane to the right, going straight. When the light turned green I pulled into the intersection. I guess this guy decided he wanted to go straight instead so out of my blind side he whizzes past me and cut in front, nearly missing me. That's when I glanced at my dash cam and noticed the date had reset since I had been out sick last week and didn't drive my car.

If I needed to take that video to court, it would be harder to explain with a date of 1/3/2015 on it. Although it would be eventually worked out since we all would know when the accident had occurred. But that is what got me thinking about getting a new one.

Maybe with a rear camera too. Then it would have shown him approaching from behind out of the turning lane.

I saw this one that might be good.

It has a GPS module so it records location as well as date/time and it uses the GPS to set the time so it is always up to date. It also has an app for iphone and android so you can download videos or change settings. THAT is a big selling point.

If I did get this one, I think I would have it professionally installed. I used to install car stereos back in the 80s and I remember it was a nightmare back then to work the wires through the trim. With today's cars with airbags everywhere and very tight tolerences I think it would be worth it to pay someone else to install it (especially for the rear camera)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I almost got hit this morning by some idiot who was in a left turning lane at an intersection, and I was in the next lane to the right, going straight. When the light turned green I pulled into the intersection. I guess this guy decided he wanted to go straight instead so out of my blind side he whizzes past me and cut in front, nearly missing me. That's when I glanced at my dash cam and noticed the date had reset since I had been out sick last week and didn't drive my car.

If I needed to take that video to court, it would be harder to explain with a date of 1/3/2015 on it. Although it would be eventually worked out since we all would know when the accident had occurred. But that is what got me thinking about getting a new one.

Maybe with a rear camera too. Then it would have shown him approaching from behind out of the turning lane.

I saw this one that might be good.

It has a GPS module so it records location as well as date/time and it uses the GPS to set the time so it is always up to date. It also has an app for iphone and android so you can download videos or change settings. THAT is a big selling point.

If I did get this one, I think I would have it professionally installed. I used to install car stereos back in the 80s and I remember it was a nightmare back then to work the wires through the trim. With today's cars with airbags everywhere and very tight tolerences I think it would be worth it to pay someone else to install it (especially for the rear camera)
        I'll look at that. And, yeah, I used to do car radios and fun stuff like that, and most recently, upgraded my "Ford Touch" to a "Sync 3", which involved removing the video screen and hardware -- I forgot how cramped all that stuff is in there, the sharp edges of metal, the tight spaces.... I did it, and it works GREAT, but.... I think I have retired from that.

Question -- If you take your video to court to defend yourself in a crash, can opposing counsel then subpoena OTHER video from that, to show, maybe, you were not such a good driver?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I like the disclaimer - we purchased all cameras at full retail price, and are not compensated in any way....

Comment

I'll look at that. And, yeah, I used to do car radios and fun stuff like that, and most recently, upgraded my "Ford Touch" to a "Sync 3", which involved removing the video screen and hardware -- I forgot how cramped all that stuff is in there, the sharp edges of metal, the tight spaces.... I did it, and it works GREAT, but.... I think I have retired from that.

Question -- If you take your video to court to defend yourself in a crash, can opposing counsel then subpoena OTHER video from that, to show, maybe, you were not such a good driver?
            I have no idea, but most dashcams recycle their files. The way this one (and the one I have now) works is it recorded in 1/3/5/ or 10 minute video files (I like to keep mine at 10 minutes.) then when one file is done, it switches to the next. There is usually about a 1 second gap it misses on my cheapo one. Then you can set it to just go until it fills the sdcard and stop (tells you it is full) or use loop mode which will overwrite the oldest files as required. So depending on how big your card is, limits how much past video it will have available. They also have a G-sensor setting so if you were to get into a accident, it would mark the current video file as "do not delete" or you can press a button on the camera to save any interesting file from being deleted later. The one in the video above also will let you download video files to your phone which makes it convenient. Like I want to save the video of what happened this morning, so I will have to take out the micro sdcard (which is a bit of a chore) and then plug that into my computer and grab the file that way.

Comment

I have no idea, but most dashcams recycle their files. The way this one (and the one I have now) works is it recorded in 1/3/5/ or 10 minute video files (I like to keep mine at 10 minutes.) then when one file is done, it switches to the next. There is usually about a 1 second gap it misses on my cheapo one. Then you can set it to just go until it fills the sdcard and stop (tells you it is full) or use loop mode which will overwrite the oldest files as required. So depending on how big your card is, limits how much past video it will have available. They also have a G-sensor setting so if you were to get into a accident, it would mark the current video file as "do not delete" or you can press a button on the camera to save any interesting file from being deleted later. The one in the video above also will let you download video files to your phone which makes it convenient. Like I want to save the video of what happened this morning, so I will have to take out the micro sdcard (which is a bit of a chore) and then plug that into my computer and grab the file that way.
              Thanks

Feeling better?

Comment

Thanks

Feeling better?
                about 60%. still way too tired and some coughing.

Comment

I think everybody should have a dash cam. I know I want one.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

But only people who think they will have an advantage from the video of incidents.

If you have a dashcam recording of an incident, that evidence can be required to be provided for court hearing.

Comment

Well I have had my current one for about 3 years now and never have really had to use it. But I keep hoping it will film something interesting, like Big Foot or aliens blowing up the city. oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          But only people who think they will have an advantage from the video of incidents.

If you have a dashcam recording of an incident, that evidence can be required to be provided for court hearing.
                          I wouldn't think so. You have the right to decline to self incriminate, and that would be what this is. But, first, they'd have to know the video exists.

Comment

Well I have had my current one for about 3 years now and never have really had to use it. But I keep hoping it will film something interesting, like Big Foot or aliens blowing up the city. oh well.
                            There was that twit that pulled out in front of you when we were with you. Your cam was recording then and would have been handy.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

There was that twit that pulled out in front of you when we were with you. Your cam was recording then and would have been handy.
                              Oh yeah. I guess that make twice that has happened including today now. Maybe my car is too stealthy, being the same color as the road and all (gray)

Comment