Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Dashcam recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here is the video of the incident. I blurred out some areas for privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Oh yeah. I guess that make twice that has happened including today now. Maybe my car is too stealthy, being the same color as the road and all (gray)
      The huge pirate flag flying above it and cannons mounted on either side don't exactly qualify as "stealthy."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        The huge pirate flag flying above it and cardboard cutouts of cannons mounted on either side don't exactly qualify as "stealthy."
        ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          ftfy
          smiley shhh.gif

He made me plenty for those "cannons"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I do have a Jolly Roger license plate in front.

Comment

Ok, my best buddies.

We are going to be looking at cams, and know absolutely nothing about them.

Do they have to be wired into the vehicle somehow?

Are the ones that look like they mount on the windshield any good?

Do they all come with a removable camera thingy so you can take it out when you not in your car so it doesn't get broken into and stolen?

I don't know if there are any other questions I should be asking?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Ok, my best buddies.

Do they all come with a removable camera thingy so you can take it out when you not in your car so it doesn't get broken into and stolen?

I just saw one recently (Owl something?) that had a neat feature I hadn't seen before --- it actually records when you're not in your car. If somebody bumps into your car, it records it for you, so you can report it to the police / insurance company.

https://owlcam.com/
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I just saw one recently (Owl something?) that had a neat feature I hadn't seen before --- it actually records when you're not in your car. If somebody bumps into your car, it records it for you, so you can report it to the police / insurance company.

https://owlcam.com/
                  It records to the cloud and you have to pay for the cellular service per month after the first year.

I still kinda like that one I posted on the first page. But I still haven't bought a new dash cam yet. Saving money up.

I kinda like the idea of cameras that will upload to the cloud, but I don't want to pay any monthly fees like the owl charges. I would rather have one that just connects to my phone via wifi or bluetooth and uploads the videos to my phone. the one I posted the video on on the first page does that.

Comment

Are these answers to my questions?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Are these answers to my questions?
                      Workin on it, boss!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ok, my best buddies.

Most mount on the windshield with a suction cup. The wire runs down to your cigarette lighter plug in your car. You can just let the cord hang down from the rear view mirror or run it along the edge of the window, down the side post and so on, but that is harder to do.
                        most do.

Read the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Most mount on the windshield with a suction cup. The wire runs down to your cigarette lighter plug in your car. You can just let the cord hang down from the rear view mirror or run it along the edge of the window, down the side post and so on, but that is harder to do.
                          most do.
                          Thanks. Do some attach to the dashboard? It seems like one stuck to the windshield would be in the way?

You said you would likely get one professionally installed. Is that somehow wired in somewhere?

Comment

Thanks. Do some attach to the dashboard? It seems like one stuck to the windshield would be in the way?

You said you would likely get one professionally installed. Is that somehow wired in somewhere?
                            Do you have a Best Buy nearby? They do installations pretty cheap. And, yes, some models can be dashboard mounted. Many attach to your rear view mirror, facing forward, since your mirror already blocks that view.

ETA: Or any "car audio" store - usually has an installation bay or two.

Comment

some of them come with a rear camera so it records what is going on behind you too (like if someone rear ends you) and that is harder to run the wire for. You have to run it under the roof or floor panels and mount the rear camera on your rear window.

And most dashcams I have seen mount on the windshield, but you might be able to get one that mounts on the dash. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Do you have a Best Buy nearby? They do installations pretty cheap. And, yes, some models can be dashboard mounted. Many attach to your rear view mirror, facing forward, since your mirror already blocks that view.

ETA: Or any "car audio" store - usually has an installation bay or two.

Yup, we have Best Buy. Also thought of checking with our dealership.

Comment