Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Limited atonement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited atonement?

Did Jesus only atone, on the cross, for those who would believe in him?

Colossians 1:20 ... and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

1 Timothy 2:6 ... who gave himself as a ransom for all men...

2 Corinthians 5:15 And he died for all...

And then this would be atonement for everyone.

Certainly Jesus did lay down his life for the sheep (Jn. 10:15). And is there a verse saying Jesus laid down his life for everyone, too?

John 6:51 This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

What is the good news that the non-elect are being commanded to repent and believe? That God loves other people? That the elect's sins have been paid for?

Now the reply might be that "repent and believe the good news" is only directed really to the elect. But this verse seems to indicate differently:

2 Thess. 2:10 They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

What then is the truth, that if they had loved it, would have saved them, if Christ did not die for them? What can Paul mean, if there is no atonement for them? His statement seems to imply clearly that the alternative to their unbelief was salvation.

2 Thess. 2:12 ... and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Why are they condemned for not believing that God does not love them, that Christ did not pay the price for their sins, for refusing to believe that there is no atonement for them?

So then what was the truth they were to believe? Must this not be the gospel? For if they had believed it, they would have been saved.

But for the non-elect, if limited atonement is true, Christ did not die for them, thus would it have saved them, if they had somehow believed that Christ did not pay the price for their sins?

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      The atonement is for everyone as a free gift but each of us has to take that gift. It is useless if you ignore it or don't even believe it is there. Like a governor giving a free pardon to any prisoner who asks to be let out of prison. If they don't know about the offer or don't ask to be set free how will they be set free? that is why we should be telling our fellow prisoners about the offer.
      Have you ever looked at the curious case of the man who refused a presidential pardon from the death penalty, and SCOTUS ruled that the pardon could not be forced upon him?

The Man Who Refused A Pardon

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That seems logical

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I hold the position of common grace. Christ died for all without distinction, but the benefits of it are only for those who trust in him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Have you ever looked at the curious case of the man who refused a presidential pardon from the death penalty, and SCOTUS ruled that the pardon could not be forced upon him?

The Man Who Refused A Pardon

I decided to look that up because sometimes these example seem to good to be true and made up to fit a sermon or something. But this is real! I found the actual court decision!

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/32/150

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I decided to look that up because sometimes these example seem to good to be true and made up to fit a sermon or something. But this is real! I found the actual court decision!

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/32/150
              Yes, I almost included the SCOTUS reference, for that very reason. I don't like using sermon illustrations that I can't validate as true, and the internetzweb makes that pretty easy. For this one, I'll include the actual supreme court reference - https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/32/150/

One of my other favorite illustrations is on faith - the guy who crossed Niagara Falls with a man in a wheel barrow -- that's also real. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Blondin
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The passages that seem to apply to all humanity may actually have different meanings than expected.

John 3:16-17 may imply, in part, that the world would have needed to be destroyed if the Messiah had not come. Without this saving of the world the alternative may have been the destruction of the world like with Noah.

A distinction may be found between being saved and being justified -- or there may be some other distinctions why a passage may be misconstrued as giving everyone eternal life

The use of "all" often has a limited scope derived from the context. We often can recognize the limited meaning of "all" in a given text.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  The passages that seem to apply to all humanity may actually have different meanings than expected.

John 3:16-17 may imply, in part, that the world would have needed to be destroyed if the Messiah had not come. Without this saving of the world the alternative may have been the destruction of the world like with Noah.

A distinction may be found between being saved and being justified -- or there may be some other distinctions why a passage may be misconstrued as giving everyone eternal life

The use of "all" often has a limited scope derived from the context. We often can recognize the limited meaning of "all" in a given text.
                  By way of adding to your post:

Given that "all" has use, both as hyperbole and in the circumscribed sense (informally in English, more formally in Koine Greek), "all" must be read with care. Koine Greek has an "all without exception:" apas ("a" being added to the ordinary "all," pas) - though "apas" is not necessarily needed to indicate all without exception. "All" (pas) is used interchangeably with "most" in at least one Septuagint passage.

Distinction between "justified" and "saved" is explicit in Romans 10:10
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    whether things on earth or things in heavenwho desires all men to be savedtherefore all died
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

I think JP Holding said something to the extent of "what difference does it make", and that's the stance I take as well. It's a theoretical dispute but all that matters is that only those who are saved will take advantage of the atonement.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        By way of adding to your [mikewhitney s] post:

Given that "all" has use, both as hyperbole and in the circumscribed sense (informally in English, more formally in Koine Greek), "all" must be read with care. Koine Greek has an "all without exception:" apas ("a" being added to the ordinary "all," pas) - though "apas" is not necessarily needed to indicate all without exception. "All" (pas) is used interchangeably with "most" in at least one Septuagint passage.

Distinction between "justified" and "saved" is explicit in Romans 10:10[.] [Emphasis added.]
                        For in the heart is belief unto righteousness, and in the mouth is confession unto salvation. (Rom. 10.10, BLB*)
                        For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I think JP Holding said something to the extent of "what difference does it make", and that's the stance I take as well. It's a theoretical dispute but all that matters is that only those who are saved will take advantage of the atonement.
                          In a way, it's kinda like the argument about OSAS -- what is your spiritual condition NOW?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I think JP Holding said something to the extent of "what difference does it make" [regarding the scope of the atonement], and that's the stance I take as well. It's a theoretical dispute but all that matters is that only those who are saved will take advantage of the atonement.
                            Whosoever Will: A Biblical-Theological Critique of Five-Point CalvinismThe Extent of the Atonement: A Historical and Critical Review (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2016); and, most recently, idem, The Atonement: A Biblical, Theological, and Historical Study of the Cross of Christ (Nashville, TN: B&H Academic, 2019). Allen demonstrates the importance of carefully distinguishing between the intent, extent, and application of the atonement. Allen takes the position of a universal/unlimited atonement with particular/limited application: the number for whom Christ died and the actual salvation of persons are not necessarily co-extensive (a proposition which is anathema to high Calvinists).

In contrast with strict/high Calvinists, Arminians, non-Calvinists, and moderate (i.e. Amyraldian, four-point) Calvinists alike affirm that the extent of the atonement encompasses the whole of humankind (universal/unlimited atonement). Differences amongst these groups emerge, however, when the intent of the atonement is under consideration. As regards the applicationExtent of the Atonement
                            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                              Did Jesus only atone, on the cross, for those who would believe in him?

Colossians 1:20 ... and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

1 Timothy 2:6 ... who gave himself as a ransom for all men...

2 Corinthians 5:15 And he died for all...

And then this would be atonement for everyone.

Certainly Jesus did lay down his life for the sheep (Jn. 10:15). And is there a verse saying Jesus laid down his life for everyone, too?

John 6:51 This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

What is the good news that the non-elect are being commanded to repent and believe? That God loves other people? That the elect's sins have been paid for?

Now the reply might be that "repent and believe the good news" is only directed really to the elect. But this verse seems to indicate differently:

2 Thess. 2:10 They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

What then is the truth, that if they had loved it, would have saved them, if Christ did not die for them? What can Paul mean, if there is no atonement for them? His statement seems to imply clearly that the alternative to their unbelief was salvation.

2 Thess. 2:12 ... and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Why are they condemned for not believing that God does not love them, that Christ did not pay the price for their sins, for refusing to believe that there is no atonement for them?

So then what was the truth they were to believe? Must this not be the gospel? For if they had believed it, they would have been saved.

But for the non-elect, if limited atonement is true, Christ did not die for them, thus would it have saved them, if they had somehow believed that Christ did not pay the price for their sins?

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              Myself when young did eagerly frequent
                              Doctor and saint, and heard great argument
                              About it and about:
                              But evermore came out
                              By the same door as in I went.
                              Last edited by Rushing Jaws; 05-05-2019, 04:19 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X