Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Scrapes of writing 10th and 11th century BC Jerusalem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapes of writing 10th and 11th century BC Jerusalem

There is an interesting article in Biblical Archeology Review concerning the few finds of writing in the 10th and 11th century in Jerusalem.

The New Jerusalem Inscription -- So What? May/June Viol. 40 No. 3 pp 49-53.

It reviews the different finds of writing found in this period highlighting the most recent pottery shard found in 2012 at the southern end of the Temple Mount. Four other finds of this period are described: (1) Part of Beth Shemesh Game Board. (2) Gezer Calendar. (3) Tel Zayit Abecdary. (4) Quiyafa Ostracon.

Even though there are these few fragments of writing form this period in Jerusalem. The following are interesting conclusions can be drawn.

(I) The written language(s) of the time was an ancestral primitive script of Canaanite, Aramaic, Phoenician, Hebrew and/or Moabite.

(II) The script was in common use in commerce and different levels of society with wide spread literacy.

(III) The script used in this period was variable not standardized.

(IV) A literate civil administration likely existed.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-11-2014, 12:37 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

For another article on the New Jerusalem Inscription, see here http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post...n.aspx#Article

Shunya, can you confirm that the artifact at my link is the same inscription?
    3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

Originally posted by LostSheep View Post
      For another article on the New Jerusalem Inscription, see here http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post...n.aspx#Article

Shunya, can you confirm that the artifact at my link is the same inscription?
      Thank you for the reference! It goes into more detail of Galil's interpretation.

Yep! Same artifact, but a somewhat different emphasis. The above emphasizes the interpretation of Galil, while this article compares different interpretations of different scholars and compares the different finds of writing for the same period.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment