Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Victory for Female Athletes Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    No. But this particular athlete isn't trying to do that either. She isn't one of the men trying to pretend to be women, which there do seem to be a number of out there.

I don't think there's any really good solution in this case, though.
    She is a victim of the idiots trying to say it makes sense to let people that are physically men compete against women in sports.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-05-2019, 10:20 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No. But this particular athlete isn't trying to do that either. She isn't one of the men trying to pretend to be women, which there do seem to be a number of out there.

I don't think there's any really good solution in this case, though.
      But there is. Just recognize that anyone with a natural body that is male can't compte against people with natural bodies that are female. I mean sports, especially professional sports, is all about being gifted with a very rare set of physical capabilities. So it is already exclusive, and if you dont have the natural body that allows you to compete, tough. That is why we dont just let everyone dope themselves into supercompetitors. You compete based on your natural gifts plus your hard work.

Jim
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-05-2019, 10:21 PM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

This still isn't a fair solution. Even if a transwoman has had the operation and has testosterone levels in the correct range, when she was a he she had all of the growth benefits of testosterone. She would still have a man's frame and muscles even if they had atrophied a bit because of lack of testosterone.

I believe if a sport has a gender specific category, then it should only allow genetically matched genders into that category. So a female only sport should be for those born as female who have female DNA. Why is it so hard for them to just say that? The whole reason we have female only leagues is to allow women to compete in sports where men would normally dominate. To allow any sort of former male into the league defeats the entire purpose.

Comment

Based on this particular reasoning, shouldn't Michael Phelps have been kicked out of the Olympics because his body produces half the lactic acid of other competitors?

I feel bad for this athlete. She isn't transgender or anything; she just happens to have a weird medical situation going on.
          Thanks for pointing that out, KG -- it's making me look deeper into this.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            This still isn't a fair solution. Even if a transwoman has had the operation and has testosterone levels in the correct range, when she was a he she had all of the growth benefits of testosterone. She would still have a man's frame and muscles even if they had atrophied a bit because of lack of testosterone.

I believe if a sport has a gender specific category, then it should only allow genetically matched genders into that category. So a female only sport should be for those born as female who have female DNA. Why is it so hard for them to just say that? The whole reason we have female only leagues is to allow women to compete in sports where men would normally dominate. To allow any sort of former male into the league defeats the entire purpose.
            I do not know why the concept is so difficult to grasp for some. but some people can't accept who they are and they want the rest of the world to adjust and acknowledge they are what they want to be, regardless of whether or not that is a fantasy or reality. This aspect of the LBGTQ movement (TQ) is just bonkers to me. And it seems contrary to the mantra - accept me for who I am. Well your body is male whether that is what you want to be or not. Get over it!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Well your body is male whether that is what you want to be or not. Get over it!

Jim
              More transphobia, so sad...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I do not know why the concept is so difficult to grasp for some. but some people can't accept who they are and they want the rest of the world to adjust and acknowledge they are what they want to be, regardless of whether or not that is a fantasy or reality. This aspect of the LBGTQ movement (TQ) is just bonkers to me. And it seems contrary to the mantra - accept me for who I am. Well your body is male whether that is what you want to be or not. Get over it!

Jim
                exactly. They can call themselves a female if they wish, and live that way, but the fact is, they have a physical advantage from growing up male that no surgery or hormone therapy will change. To allow them to compete in a women's only sport defeats the purpose of having a female only sport, which is to allow females who are biologically weaker than males to compete in the same sports at the same levels professionally.

We don't see any transmen (women who have transitioned into men) playing in men's sports do we? Because they know they would fail unless they were unusually large and strong as a woman before they transitioned.

Comment

We do not tolerate athletes that take hormones to alter their natual physical state. That is called doping.

And we do not care why the doping infraction occurs. Just ask any of the suspended cyclists found to have doped even though the doping chemical was prescrbed for medical reasons, not enhanced performance.
                  Aren't you allowed to take steroids or other similar drugs if they're for a medical reason? I was under the impression you could.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  We don't see any transmen (women who have transitioned into men) playing in men's sports do we? Because they know they would fail unless they were unusually large and strong as a woman before they transitioned.
                  In fairness, there seem to be considerably more male-to-female transgenders than there are female-to-male transgenders.
                  Last edited by Terraceth; 05-07-2019, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    Aren't you allowed to take steroids or other similar drugs if they're for a medical reason? I was under the impression you could.

In fairness, there seem to be considerably more male-to-female transgenders than there are female-to-male transgenders.
                    Do you have any stats on that? It just seems that the men to women are just in the news more, mostly because of celebrities like Bruce Jenner and because of women sports events being taken over by transgenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      There are therapeutic use exceptions, but the amount of the drug is limited to that which can't be expected to alter the natural performance capabilities of the athlete when they are otherwise healthy. the sort of hormone therapy required to change a man into a faux-woman would be way beyond any reasonable therapeutic value. Literally, they are doing to their bodies what people that drug dope do to there bodies: trying to change their performance characteristics into that which is unnatural and impossible without the drugs.

In fairness, there seem to be considerably more male-to-female transgenders than there are female[-to-male transgenders.
                      Exactly. No safe amount of testosterone(or whatever the hormone cocktail is) is going to make a female athlete capable of competing in Male sports,especially at the collegiate or professional level. Likewise, and even more obviously so, no safe amount of estrogen(or whatever the hormone cocktail is) is going to reduce a male athlete to what he would be had he been born female, to the point he can compete w/o unfair advantage in female collegiate or professional sports.

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-07-2019, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        More transphobia, so sad...
                        phobia isn't the correct word. I can be annoyed, disgusted, repulsed, appalled, or simply indifferent to something without being 'afraid' of it. To automatically translate disgust, revulsion, or a host of other negative reactions into 'fear' is itself part of the absurdity that dominates this topic (i.e. the 'trans' element where it involves people born with a clear and single biological sex)

Jim

Comment

phobia isn't the correct word. I can be annoyed, disgusted, repulsed, appalled, or simply indifferent to something without being 'afraid' of it. To automatically translate disgust, revulsion, or a host of other negative reactions into 'fear' is itself part of the absurdity that dominates this topic (i.e. the 'trans' element where it involves people born with a clear and single biological sex)

Jim
                          I know, I was just busting you...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I personally think its nonsense to punish a woman like that, the requirements are worded in a very poor way. This isn't a victory, this is just bad regulation that's going to be thrown out down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I personally think its nonsense to punish a woman like that, the requirements are worded in a very poor way. This isn't a victory, this is just bad regulation that's going to be thrown out down the road.
                              She isn't being punished, she's being held to the same standards that other women who want to compete in sports. Why do you think it's a bad regulation?

Comment

Sanity...

Transgender weightlifter stripped of women's titles after drug test confirms male gender

https://www.theblaze.com/news/transg...itles-stripped

Comment