Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Victory for Female Athletes Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
    The problem is the intersex. What objective standard exists to determine which gender they get counted as for sports?
    Whether they have a Y chromosome or not?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Whether they have a Y chromosome or not?
      Even that is not conclusive. At birth, a very small percentage of males are XX (1 in 20 000) and a very small percentage of females are XY (1 in 80 000).
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        Even that is not conclusive. At birth, a very small percentage of males are XX (1 in 20 000) and a very small percentage of females are XY (1 in 80 000).
        Yes, those would be exceptions to the rule, but we could still use the rule for intersex questions.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The problem is the intersex. What objective standard exists to determine which gender they get counted as for sports?
          Given the role of testosterone in development, anyone with elevated natural testosterone levels is going to have an unfair advantage when competing against women, so should probably compete with men.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And how many of them are there in the world. And how many of them want to play sports? Come on. You don't have to make exceptions for a segment of the population so small as to be non-existent. If someone doesn't fit the criteria they can't play in a specific league. What about fat people? I was never able to play in sports because I was too fat growing up. Did they make an exception for me? Nope. I just didn't qualify. And there are a lot more fat people in the world than intersex or transgender.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Given the role of testosterone in development, anyone with elevated natural testosterone levels is going to have an unfair advantage when competing against women, so should probably compete with men.
              I saw an interview on TV last night with some wild-eyed babe trying to defend the notion that there is no difference between biological males and females, nobody is "born a male", and some of these transgendered women actually lose, so it's obviously fair. Her facial contortions (including the fact that she couldn't even look at the camera) when she was saying all this crap seemed to indicated even she didn't believe what she was saying.

She kept coming to "sometimes, they lose, so it's obviously not an advantage".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I agree with you here. Just ban transgendered men from competing in women's sports. It is obviously unfair to women. They can have their own league if they want.
                Pretty much. I'd rather this.

Comment

So do you believe Lance Armstrong has an unfair advantage against other men, because he's a genetic freak of nature who has so much testosterone in his body that he was once accused of doping?

Should he be banned from cycling?

Nonsense. This law is not about creating a Formula 100 rule set for what sort of human bodies can compete in sports. Its all about banning transgender people, and without actually admitting that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    Its all about banning transgender people, and without actually admitting that.
                    No it is about biological males competing with biological males, and not with biological females. And Lance Armstrong was actually doping...

Comment

So do you believe Lance Armstrong has an unfair advantage against other men, because he's a genetic freak of nature who has so much testosterone in his body that he was once accused of doping?

Should he be banned from cycling?

Nonsense. This law is not about creating a Formula 100 rule set for what sort of human bodies can compete in sports. Its all about banning transgender people, and without actually admitting that.
                      Wasn't he stripped of all his titles for doping?
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No it is about biological males competing with biological males, and not with biological females.
                        You can phrase it like that if you want, but that's not what this law does. It eliminated a woman from her own sport, and made a weird testosterone based claim as to what is a man or a woman. Its stupid seer.

If you don't want transgender people in the sports, then have a law specifically about that. That you can only compete as your original signed birth or whatever.

This is a dumb roundabout way of doing it, which is doing harm to people doing the sport already. And since there's absolutely zero movement to introduce similar "what is a standard human body" laws in the male sports, its a ripe area for legal criticism and attack.

Comment

Wasn't he stripped of all his titles for doping?
                          *looks it up*

Granted, yes, Lance Armstrong was indeed doping.

I can't remember who I was thinking of now. But there was someone who by natural chance just had an extraordinarily high level of testosterone in his blood.

Comment

If you don't want transgender people in the sports, then have a law specifically about that. That you can only compete as your original signed birth or whatever.
                            That is what I suggested a while back! But even that is not about banning trans - just that they have to compete according to their birth gender.

Comment

That is what I suggested a while back! But even that is not about banning trans - just that they have to compete according to their birth gender.
                              We can phrase it whichever way we want seer. All I'm saying is that telling women what kind of bodies are natural for them, and regulating what testosterone level is natural for women in a legal setting, is weird law.

Comment

We can phrase it whichever way we want seer. All I'm saying is that telling women what kind of bodies are natural for them, and regulating what testosterone level is natural for women in a legal setting, is weird law.
                                Right, and I said the T-level was a strange way to do it. Just use the birth gender. This is what I said in post #7: Because in this case they are trying to level the field, generally, in essence to prevent biological males from taking over women's sports. T levels are one way to do it. I would have preferred that they just focused on biological sex, the sex you were born with. Then Ms. Semenya would have been protected. Why they went down this T road is beyond me, the fear of backlash?

Comment