Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Can a Sitting President be Indicted?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    "The person" himself, can not violate DOJ policy.
    People with courage can, do, and will. I don't see Mueller as a person lacking in courage.

Wrong. A sitting president can't be indicted for anything. DOJ policy! He can be investigated, special council, and he can be impeached, congress. Only after ousted from office can he actually be indicted.
    I said "found grounds for indictment"

That's idiotic.
    I don't see any reason to assume that Mueller is an idiot.

Wrong, they are doing exactly what they should do in such a case. Inform the public concerning all the facts, "public hearings and witness testimony" and then impeachment. Only then, once out of office, can the president be indicted.
    Except none of them is talking about initiating impeachment proceedings.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Perhaps you are unaware that the Attorney General is always an unelected positon? Including Eric 'I'm still the president's wingman' Holder?
    I would hasten to add that I'm referring to "the" Attorney General - as in the Attorney General of the United States. Some states actually elect their AG.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The congress has the report, they don't need the unelected atty gen to inform them with his spin. The reason dems haven't filed articles of impeachment as of yet is because they want all the evidence out there, and they want the american people, for the good of the country, to be fully informed before actually impeaching. They don't need the atty gen's approval, oversight is their responsibility, and it is their decision as to how best to go about it. The Atty Gen was just doing the Presidents bidding, he's a shill and a liar which will soon be born out so that even you'll have difficulty spinning your denials.
    Ah - so sometime after the next election, they might institute impeachment proceedings.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    Ah - so sometime after the next election, they might institute impeachment proceedings.
    Actually.... This just in....

Executive Privilege Fight Inches Democrats Closer To Impeachment

If House Democrats ultimately begin impeachment proceedings against President Trump, last week will be remembered as one of the pivotal turning points.

Trump's decision to invoke executive privilege over the full report by special counsel Robert Mueller is prompting impeachment skeptics like Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo., to reconsider.

"I have to be honest with you, I once said I would be the last person standing against impeachment, and now, I'm squatting," Cleaver told NPR.

While some Democrats hope the Judiciary Committee's decision to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt will force the administration back to the negotiation table, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders made clear the president will not budge on his executive privilege claim over the Mueller report. "This is fully consistent with that precedent and it is fully consistent with the president actually upholding the law," Sanders told reporters last week.

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., does not share that hesitation. "I understand the big picture is winning in 2020, and I don't really understand totally the calculus about not proceeding with impeachment," he said. "I think there's merit to putting the scarlet letter 'I' on his breast, because he deserves it."

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    I doubt it will take that long, although the president will do everything in his power, as you could see, if you were looking, he is doing now, to continue to obstruct in the hopes that it does carry through to the next election. There is a statute of limitations for indictment so the president is desperate to be re-elected in the hopes of running out the clock on possible prosecution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    The reason dems haven't filed articles of impeachment as of yet is because they want all the evidence out there, and they want the american people, for the good of the country, to be fully informed before actually impeaching.
    But the evidence is "out there". Mueller's report was publicly released. It's "in the wild". Anybody can read it and see for themselves. Rachael Maddow could be spoon-feeding direct quotes from Mueller's report to her low-information audience. Democrats could be on C-Span right now reading directly from Mueller's report in an impeachment hearing.

"We can't impeach the president because the public is not adequately informed" has to be one of the dumbest excuses you've ever come up with.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

7. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

If House Democrats ultimately begin impeachment proceedings against President Trump, last week will be remembered as one of the pivotal turning points.

Trump's decision to invoke executive privilege over the full report by special counsel Robert Mueller is prompting impeachment skeptics like Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo., to reconsider.

"I have to be honest with you, I once said I would be the last person standing against impeachment, and now, I'm squatting," Cleaver told NPR.

While some Democrats hope the Judiciary Committee's decision to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt will force the administration back to the negotiation table, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders made clear the president will not budge on his executive privilege claim over the Mueller report. "This is fully consistent with that precedent and it is fully consistent with the president actually upholding the law," Sanders told reporters last week.

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., does not share that hesitation. "I understand the big picture is winning in 2020, and I don't really understand totally the calculus about not proceeding with impeachment," he said. "I think there's merit to putting the scarlet letter 'I' on his breast, because he deserves it."
    But if the report is locked down by executive privilege then the only thing they have to go on is Barr's letter which gives them no grounds for impeachment, so... water they gonna do?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Yes, thinking people know the President deserves to be impeached, but many in congress, some disagree, feel it is best to make the need for impeachment clear to you before doing so. Trumps obvious and continued obstruction is beginning to change some minds on that.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, thinking people know the President deserves to be impeached....
    But I thought that was YOUR opinion, too.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    But the evidence is "out there". Mueller's report was publicly released. It's "in the wild". Anybody can read it and see for themselves. Rachael Maddow could be spoon-feeding direct quotes from Mueller's report to her low-information audience. Democrats could be on C-Span right now reading directly from Mueller's report in an impeachment hearing.

"We can't impeach the president because the public is not adequately informed" has to be one of the dumbest excuses you've ever come up with.
    I didn't say that they can't impeach, I said they believe, for the good of the country, it more prudent to better inform low-information deniers like yourself before they file for impeachment.