Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Media Narratives Became More Important Than Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    How Media Narratives Became More Important Than Facts

The sad state of journalism.

The day that I told CBS News I wished to leave my job as investigative correspondent ahead of my contract, I didn’t give a reason. I didn’t see the point because the problem wasn’t fixable.

Nor was it isolated to CBS News.

My own take is that—as our industry has changed in ways that have become undeniable to most—I was a bit of the canary in the coal mine. By that, I mean I believe I was among the first to really pay attention to the increasingly effective operations to shape and censor news—the movements to establish narratives rather than follow facts—and to see the growing influence of smear operations, political interests, and corporate interests on the news.

It’s not that I’m smarter than my peers, and I’m surely far less smart than many, but my particular brand of off-narrative reporting happened to draw the intense attention of the smear operators and propagandists, so I began to study it.

A case in point: the smear that was promulgated when I left CBS. It was often incorrectly reported that I told CBS management I was quitting due to liberal media bias. That false story turned out to be convenient for both political sides, and largely survives today. It simply wasn’t rooted in fact. And I don’t recall reporters even asking me whether it was true. Once a few articles reported that it was, others simply copied the claim and adopted it as if established fact, eventually without attribution. Now there would be no point in trying to clarify it. After all, Wikipedia says it’s true. No going back from that.

Powerful smear groups and certain interests—including some within CBS at the time—started the narrative that I was “conservative,” not because they necessarily believed it, but as a tool to “controversialize” the reporting I was doing that was contrary to powerful interests. The idea is that if I can be portrayed as a partisan, then my reporting can be more easily dismissed.

The Narrative Requires

In fact, prior to the operation to push the narrative that I was “conservative,” my reporting had been lauded by a diverse group of observers, including the likes of Rachel Maddow, who once delivered an entire monologue on an investigative expose I did on the “charity” of then-Rep. Stephen Buyer (R- Ind.). My most recent Emmy award was for an undercover investigation into Republican fundraising....
    Right, and now she works for conservative propagandist Sinclair News! Sounds like a disgruntled partison to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Cable News isn't news anymore, it is 24 hour commentary.
      False, it's both news and commentary as has always been the case.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Right, and now she works for conservative propagandist Sinclair News! Sounds like a disgruntled partison to me.

Of course she does, Jimmy, because you're an incredibly disgruntled rabid partisan. (Not partison)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

False, it's both news and commentary as has always been the case.
          As if you could tell the difference!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            As if you could tell the difference!
            Apparently you can't!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Which is why I often force myself to endure the ClintonNewsNetwork or check in on your favorite girlfriend. I like to see what the crazy extreme leftist pinko commie lying scumbag phony journalists are saying. You know... balance!
              It is why I try to read the New York Times and Washington Post (increasingly difficult as they move behind paywalls), Slate and the New Republic as well as watch CNN and MSNBC. I found it is far better to see for myself what someone is saying rather rely on being told what they're saying by someone who disagrees with them

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Drudge does a good job of providing a cross section of stories across the political spectrum.
                But you need to be willing to click on the links.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It is why I try to read the New York Times and Washington Post (increasingly difficult as they move behind paywalls), Slate and the New Republic as well as watch CNN and MSNBC. I found it is far better to see for myself what someone is saying rather rely on being told what they're saying by someone who disagrees with them
                  I prefer the Onion and the Babylon Bee.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Apparently you can't!
                    Aww, idn't 'e cute?
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Someday we will look at the last half of the previous decade as the golden age of reading news on the Internet.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

But you need to be willing to click on the links.
                        Well... yeah.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment