Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 400+ prosecutors sign a letter noting POTUS absent DOJ policy not to indict POTUS

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

400+ prosecutors sign a letter noting POTUS absent DOJ policy not to indict POTUS

From an op-ed written by one of the signers:

Source: cnn

When I was a federal prosecutor, I once indicted and tried a man named Roberto Ortiz for trying to convince his ex-girlfriend to leave town for a few weeks so she could not testify against him at an upcoming trial for illegal firearms possession. Despite Ortiz's efforts, the ex-girlfriend did not leave town, and a trial jury convicted Ortiz on various charges including witness tampering.

Ortiz's obstructive conduct pales in comparison to President Donald Trump's prolonged campaign to torpedo the investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

© Copyright Original Source

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/opini...nig/index.html

This won't be accepted by the pro-Trump crowd here at TWEB. Nevertheless, the point has been made and needs to be made again.

This is not just somebodies opinion raging away on the internet (like you or me). These are all current or former federal prosecutors, Republican, Democrat, all walks of life. And THEY are PUBLICLY saying - with the credibility that only a former prosecutor can have on this topic - that IF Donald Trump were not POTUS, there is more than enough in the Mueller report to indict.

Jim
    OK - maybe there are 'some' friends

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is what it is. What's not to accept?
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    From an op-ed written by one of the signers:

Source: cnn

When I was a federal prosecutor, I once indicted and tried a man named Roberto Ortiz for trying to convince his ex-girlfriend to leave town for a few weeks so she could not testify against him at an upcoming trial for illegal firearms possession. Despite Ortiz's efforts, the ex-girlfriend did not leave town, and a trial jury convicted Ortiz on various charges including witness tampering.

Ortiz's obstructive conduct pales in comparison to President Donald Trump's prolonged campaign to torpedo the investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

© Copyright Original Source

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/06/opini...nig/index.html

This won't be accepted by the pro-Trump crowd here at TWEB. Nevertheless, the point has been made and needs to be made again.

This is not just somebodies opinion raging away on the internet (like you or me). These are all current or former federal prosecutors, Republican, Democrat, all walks of life. And THEY are PUBLICLY saying - with the credibility that only a former prosecutor can have on this topic - that IF Donald Trump were not POTUS, there is more than enough in the Mueller report to indict.

Jim
    Too bad for you they aren't the ones making the decision. Now, take a pill so your TrumpOCD will subside for a few minutes...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And I am sure you could get just as many signers of a letter that says the opposite. Truth isn't a popularity contest.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is not just somebodies opinion raging away on the internet...
    Neither are AG Barr, DAG Rosenstein, and the other DOJ officials who had access to the full scope of the investigation and affirmed Mueller's declaration that he could not conclude that the President committed any crimes. And in this case, theirs is the only opinion that matters.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Too bad for you they aren't the ones making the decision. Now, take a pill so your TrumpOCD will subside for a few minutes...
    Yes - of course. 400+ prosecutors noting that what Trump did should have resulted in an indictment means nothing ... because he got away with it!

The point, of course, is that the lack of indictment is provably NOT an indication of innocence. As we can see, under almost any other circumstance what Trump has done would have earned him a felony indictment.

The secondary point meaning that he really should then be impeached - given these would be felony indictments - except for the DOJ policy not to indict a sitting president. And that is why impeachment exists. To hold the president accountable should he commit high crimes or misdemeanors.

Jim

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    And I am sure you could get just as many signers of a letter that says the opposite. Truth isn't a popularity contest.
    Clearly because obstruction is in many ways a subjective crime, one that does not have a clear objective definition, there will be the possibility of disagreement over whether or not a given action in a given context constitutes obstruction.

What the letter shows, especially since it is not a partisan letter but rather involve input from a large cross section with federal prosecutorial experience is that the claims there is evidence of obstruction are legitimate, have merit, should not be blindly dismissed.

Jim

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes - of course. 400+ prosecutors noting that what Trump did should have resulted in an indictment means nothing ... because he got away with it!

The point, of course, is that the lack of indictment is provably NOT an indication of innocence. As we can see, under almost any other circumstance what Trump has done would have earned him a felony indictment.

The secondary point meaning that he really should then be impeached - given these would be felony indictments - except for the DOJ policy not to indict a sitting president. And that is why impeachment exists. To hold the president accountable should he commit high crimes or misdemeanors.

Jim
    You know Jim if you collected all of those tears you're crying, you to have enough liquid to take that trump OCD pill with

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Clearly because obstruction is in many ways a subjective crime, one that does not have a clear objective definition, there will be the possibility of disagreement over whether or not a given action in a given context constitutes obstruction.

What the letter shows, especially since it is not a partisan letter but rather involve input from a large cross section with federal prosecutorial experience is that the claims there is evidence of obstruction are legitimate, have merit, should not be blindly dismissed.

Jim
    I agree.

But it wasn't blindly dismissed. It was carefully investigated and considered, by Mueller and Barr. Who decided there was no obstruction. How many do-overs do you expect? Until someone agrees with you? That seems to be the democrats thinking, just keep rehashing the same thing over and over till they get the answer they want, or Trump isn't President anymore. I bet if Trump loses the election next year this whole controversy will disappear as fast as Hillary's did. Because the purpose isn't about the truth, it is all about making Trump as ineffective as possible and cause as much disruption and distraction as they can until he is replaced. And you feed right into that mindset.

10. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15