Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: The strange greatness of Donald Trump

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I guess you don't like being treated the way you treat others.
    The more you guys change, the more you stay the same, I guess.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    This appears to be the new "mantra" of the usual cabal.
    Am I in the cabal?
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This appears to be the new "mantra" of the usual cabal. Repeating it over and over again doesn't actually make it true...
    And flat ignoring doublespeak doesnít make it go away.

You create a false dichotomy, so there is nothing to respond to. The world is not always as black/white as you would (apparently) like it to be. There are places where there are shades of gray we have to live with.
    Itís not at all and based upon the logic you support and are incapable of seeing because you refuse to see it. The reality is that modern liberals are the ones saying you can identify as you want while trying to also argue that some traits are ingrained and canít change. You canít have it both ways. Either they exist and need protected or donít.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Am I in the cabal?
    I see you as being more of a junta or maybe coterie kinda guy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I see you as being more of a junta or maybe coterie kinda guy.
    Ah... I miss the good old days when Da Blonde called us the Axis of Evil.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Am I in the cabal?
    I don't recall you saying I have a habit of holding contradictory positions without being aware of it, though I suppose I may have missed it.

You have a different theme you pound on fairly regularly.

I have to admit, it would be very refreshing to have an adult-adult conversation without all of the games, accusations of hypocrisy, and all of the rest that passes for civil discourse on this forum, but I have largely abandoned that happening. So I am trying to focus on my side of the argument, try to understand the other side as best I can, and let people be whatever they are going to be. If it becomes too tedious - I just take a break and go talk to others that can discourse a bit more pleasantly.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And flat ignoring doublespeak doesnít make it go away.
    Since I don't engage in this, I'll leave the last word on this theme to you. It's pointless to the discussion at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Itís not at all and based upon the logic you support and are incapable of seeing because you refuse to see it. The reality is that modern liberals are the ones saying you can identify as you want while trying to also argue that some traits are ingrained and canít change. You canít have it both ways. Either they exist and need protected or donít.
    Yes - both can be true. There are ways in which one can identify as they wish (the list I previously provided), and there are ways we are members without the ability to change (also provided a list). Feel free to disagree with either list. I'm not sure how you're going to do that, but I'll leave it to you. Then there is the gender issue, which I suspect is at the heart of this exchange. As I noted, I have no problem with the possibility that a largely feminine human mind can end up in a largely masculine human body - for the reasons I cited. Since I am not privy to the functions of someone else's mind, I am left dependent on the person to tell me what their experience is. If someone tells me "I feel like a woman trapped in a man's body," I will take them at their word. It's their experience, not mine. And it is not mine to accuse them of "choosing whatever gender identity they want." I'm sure there are some people who are simply struggling or confused and maybe even some who are mentally ill. Then there are those who I have no problem believing are mentally wired with one gender while physically the other.

There is nothing inconsistent about any of this. As I said - you are creating a false dichotomy.

Assuming I am right about gender being at the heart of this discussion, I'm curious to know something.

1) Are you aware that there are people with physical attributes of both men and women?
    2) Are you aware that there are demonstrable gender-based dimorphisms in the human brain?

I'm curious to know your answer to those two questions.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't recall you saying I have a habit of holding contradictory positions without being aware of it, though I suppose I may have missed it.

You have a different theme you pound on fairly regularly....
    Meh... I don't really bother much with you of late.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtfloor View Post
    Howís the trade war going?
    Quite well, actually. Companies continue to move production out of China, and China has responded the only way they know how: to threaten to seize control and put all manufacturing in the hands of the state, which has worked about as well as you would expect. Then China issued an ultimatum to Trump: "Either accept our terms, or we will go down fighting," which, if you think about it, is a bit like trying to intimidate your opponent by putting a gun to your own head.

Meanwhile, Trump is patiently waiting while the dragon starves itself to death.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...rp-plan-exits/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Bottom line, I try not to tell people who and what they are, and let them tell me instead.
    You beleive you are a moral objectivist/absolutist, Seer. Unfortunately, morality is not absolute/objective. You ARE a moral relativist/subjectivist because that is the very nature of morality.

It appears you have been petarded on your own hoistings.

11. Amen Cow Poke, Sparko, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.