Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 216

Thread: The strange greatness of Donald Trump

  1. #201
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,208
    Amen (Given)
    235
    Amen (Received)
    1340
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I never said that Tillis was right. I'm just pointing out the irony of you blasting him and praising Obamacare despite them both pulling the exact same bait-and-switch.

    But this is turning into a merry-go-round, so I'm hopping off. I've made my point even if some people (gee, who could I be thinking of? ) refuse to acknowledge it.
    You know nothing I have said is a general defense of Obamacare itself, and it is shameful for you to pretend it is. I've defended the ACA provision that requires insurance not to refuse coverage for pre-existing conditions while pointing out the Tillis is explicitly lying about whether or not his bill will continue to support that policy.

    And no you haven't made your point - you've just pulled the parts of my posts that are contrary to the misleading point you want to make so you can pretend to have made a point.

    In short, there is no equivalence here. Your examples that you've tried to equate to Tillis' action are not out and out lies, they are process or policy mistakes or conflicts. And that is not defending those policiy mistakes or conflicts, it is just recognizing they are the consequences of the complexity of trying to implement something like the ACA. And in the case of your last post, mistakes that are attempting to be corrected.

    Tillis is lying about what his bill will do relative to an existing, functional, and good provision of the ACA.

    There is no equivalence that can be made.


    Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-13-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    Jorge's trueorigins paper: "...it is known that other volcanic features match what is usually associated with impact craters including ... shatter cones and crystal deformations"

    Planetary Science Institute: "Shatter cones … are found in only two places on Earth, 1) in nuclear test sites and 2) meteorite impact structures. They are formed as a result of the high pressure, high velocity shock wave ...

    maximum pressures from 45 to 200 times greater than found in volcanic events (2->20 Gpa)

  2. #202
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,324
    Amen (Given)
    24
    Amen (Received)
    1034
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    You know nothing I have said is a general defense of Obamacare itself, and it is shameful for you to pretend it is. I've defended the ACA provision that requires insurance not to refuse coverage for pre-existing conditions while pointing out the Tillis is explicitly lying about whether or not his bill will continue to support that policy.

    And no you haven't made your point - you've just pulled the parts of my posts that are contrary to the misleading point you want to make so you can pretend to have made a point.

    In short, there is no equivalence here. Your examples that you've tried to equate to Tillis' action are not out and out lies, they are process or policy mistakes or conflicts. And that is not defending those policiy mistakes or conflicts, it is just recognizing they are the consequences of the complexity of trying to implement something like the ACA. And in the case of your last post, mistakes that are attempting to be corrected.

    Tillis is lying about what his bill will do relative to an existing, functional, and good provision of the ACA.

    There is no equivalence that can be made.


    Jim
    The emphasized part is standard practice for MM. I'm not even sure why I engage with him anymore. When someone can make the lame argument he made concerning Trump's grasp of tariff's, you know you're pretty much in the land of the intransigent and discussion is largely pointless.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  3. #203
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,087
    Amen (Given)
    5435
    Amen (Received)
    5210
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Your examples that you've tried to equate to Tillis' action are not out and out lies, they are process or policy mistakes or conflicts.
    Oh, right... and when Obama heard about these "mistakes" in the news, he was mad as hell, right?

    (I know, I said I was hopping off, but this one was just too tempting to pass up. I'm done.)
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  4. #204
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,324
    Amen (Given)
    24
    Amen (Received)
    1034
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Oh, right... and when Obama heard about these "mistakes" in the news, he was mad as hell, right?

    (I know, I said I was hopping off, but this one was just too tempting to pass up. I'm done.)
    You don't appear to be any better at this "I'm done" thing than me!
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  5. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  6. #205
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,208
    Amen (Given)
    235
    Amen (Received)
    1340
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Oh, right... and when Obama heard about these "mistakes" in the news, he was mad as hell, right?

    (I know, I said I was hopping off, but this one was just too tempting to pass up. I'm done.)
    How would I know? But what I do want to know is how you can be so flippant about what Tillis' bill is trying to do.


    Jim
    Jorge's trueorigins paper: "...it is known that other volcanic features match what is usually associated with impact craters including ... shatter cones and crystal deformations"

    Planetary Science Institute: "Shatter cones … are found in only two places on Earth, 1) in nuclear test sites and 2) meteorite impact structures. They are formed as a result of the high pressure, high velocity shock wave ...

    maximum pressures from 45 to 200 times greater than found in volcanic events (2->20 Gpa)

  7. #206
    tWebber firstfloor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    invalid value
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,695
    Amen (Given)
    15
    Amen (Received)
    339
    The Trump brand is covered in “horsie poo” - Trump-branded properties are underperforming - BBC news.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

  8. #207
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,087
    Amen (Given)
    5435
    Amen (Received)
    5210
    I wouldn't have expected the BBC to use the term "horsie poo".
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  9. #208
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,873
    Amen (Given)
    10692
    Amen (Received)
    23349
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    You don't appear to be any better at this "I'm done" thing than me!
    I'm hoping this is the thread where I promised not to return! I'm not here.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

  10. #209
    tWebber firstfloor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    invalid value
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,695
    Amen (Given)
    15
    Amen (Received)
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I wouldn't have expected the BBC to use the term "horsie poo".
    That’s a quote from Cow Poke. We here are enjoying the Eurovision Song Contest and I thought to point out that AG Barr is a Scottish soft drinks manufacturer well known around the world for Irn Bru - made in Scotland from girders, and we have Madonna singing at the interval, c/w fashion eye patch.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

  11. #210
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,873
    Amen (Given)
    10692
    Amen (Received)
    23349
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    That’s a quote from Cow Poke.
    Awww, shucks - I'm flattered! (though it wasn't actually a quote)
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •