Announcement

Collapse

Newsdesk Guidelines

The NEWSDESK is the area for TheologyWeb news and announcements. This is not a debate area. There will be times when you won't agree with certain official announcements and commentary. If so, do not argue or dispute in this area but take it up in an appropriate area of the forum or by Private Message. Threads may only be started by TheologyWeb leadership, but responses may be posted by the entire community.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Scheduled Maintenance - 12/05/2019 4AM EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    That's an acceptable (perhaps even superior) format as well. This is more a case of me being opposed to the dumb "mm/dd/yyyy"-format than it is me being in support of the "dd/mm/yyyy"-format.
    EGGzackly. Like OBP got used to the other format from the military, I got used to it from police work.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's an acceptable (perhaps even superior) format as well. This is more a case of me being opposed to the dumb "mm/dd/yyyy"-format than it is me being in support of the "dd/mm/yyyy"-format.

But, logically, in a conversation you say, "today is May 9th, 2019". Generally you don't say (at least where I live), " today is 9th May, 2019".

It might be different elsewhere, but that's how it is here. Month, day, and year.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        But, logically, in a conversation you say, "today is May 9th, 2019". Generally you don't say (at least where I live), " today is 9th May, 2019".

It might be different elsewhere, but that's how it is here. Month, day, and year.
        That's only because the English language is a stupid language. The fact that it sounds more natural to say the month before the day in English is proof that it's a stupid language.

Comment

That's only because the English language is a stupid language. The fact that it sounds more natural to say the month before the day in English is proof that it's a stupid language.

You're right. It is stupid. But it's all I've got.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

English also mugs its vocabulary from other languages.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I almost always say it like "I'll meet you on Saturday, 18 May", and I've had people tell me "I remembered the date because you said it funny".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I almost always say it like "I'll meet you on Saturday, 18 May", and I've had people tell me "I remembered the date because you said it funny".

'Muricans always do stuff funny.

Comment

'Muricans always do stuff funny.
                  We always get a kick out of .... when somebody asks "Can you tell me how to get to Dallas" the person will almost always respond, "Dallas, Texas?"

It's just wired into us, I guess!

Comment

how do you say it in Finlandneze? (I refuse to call it Finnish, cuz that sounds stupid)

Comment

"Saturday, 18th of May" would be a possible way to say it as well, wouldn't it? Or perhaps it sounds a bit too stilted to native ears?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        how do you say it in Finlandneze? (I refuse to call it Finnish, cuz that sounds stupid)
                        Swedish is my native language, not Finnish, but in both cases we would say "[ordinal number] [name of month]", which in Swedish would be (if we take my birthday March 2nd as an example), "andra Mars" and in Finnish "toinen maaliskuuta".

Comment

Swedish is my native language, not Finnish, but in both cases we would say "[ordinal number] [name of month]", which in Swedish would be (if we take my birthday March 2nd as an example), "andra Mars" and in Finnish "toinen maaliskuuta".
                          What the sam thunder is an ordinal number?

Comment

Swedish???

Do you know this guy?

Comment

What the sam thunder is an ordinal number?
                              First, second, third and so on...

Comment

First, second, third and so on...
                                Kinda like .... in ORDER!

(kidding - I'm just impressed by the jargon!)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X