Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Scheduled Maintenance - 12/05/2019 4AM EST

  1. #11
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    21,919
    Amen (Given)
    6485
    Amen (Received)
    12394
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Why do some some countries do the date as month/day/year and others do it as day/month/year?
    America does things differently just to make it more confusing. I got used to "European" date and time (24-hour) formats because that's what is used in the military.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  2. #12
    tWebber Chrawnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,995
    Amen (Given)
    5275
    Amen (Received)
    3614
    Quote Originally Posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Why do some some countries do the date as month/day/year and others do it as day/month/year?
    Because some countries haven't realized how stupid the month/day/year format is yet.

  3. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
  4. #13
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27576
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Because some countries haven't realized how stupid the month/day/year format is yet.
    If you're going to sort things chronologically, like digital filenames, it's best to use yyyyy/mm/dd format. And
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  5. Amen Sparko, Raphael amen'd this post.
  6. #14
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27576
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    If you're going to sort things chronologically, like digital filenames, it's best to use yyyyy/mm/dd format. And
    What happened to the rest of my "And" statement?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  7. #15
    tWebber Chrawnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,995
    Amen (Given)
    5275
    Amen (Received)
    3614
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    If you're going to sort things chronologically, like digital filenames, it's best to use yyyyy/mm/dd format. And
    That's an acceptable (perhaps even superior) format as well. This is more a case of me being opposed to the dumb "mm/dd/yyyy"-format than it is me being in support of the "dd/mm/yyyy"-format.

  8. Amen Raphael, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  9. #16
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    60,424
    Amen (Given)
    13032
    Amen (Received)
    27576
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    That's an acceptable (perhaps even superior) format as well. This is more a case of me being opposed to the dumb "mm/dd/yyyy"-format than it is me being in support of the "dd/mm/yyyy"-format.
    EGGzackly. Like OBP got used to the other format from the military, I got used to it from police work.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  10. #17
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    21,759
    Amen (Given)
    16423
    Amen (Received)
    10043
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    That's an acceptable (perhaps even superior) format as well. This is more a case of me being opposed to the dumb "mm/dd/yyyy"-format than it is me being in support of the "dd/mm/yyyy"-format.

    But, logically, in a conversation you say, "today is May 9th, 2019". Generally you don't say (at least where I live), " today is 9th May, 2019".

    It might be different elsewhere, but that's how it is here. Month, day, and year.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  11. Amen Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
  12. #18
    tWebber Chrawnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Finland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,995
    Amen (Given)
    5275
    Amen (Received)
    3614
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    But, logically, in a conversation you say, "today is May 9th, 2019". Generally you don't say (at least where I live), " today is 9th May, 2019".

    It might be different elsewhere, but that's how it is here. Month, day, and year.
    That's only because the English language is a stupid language. The fact that it sounds more natural to say the month before the day in English is proof that it's a stupid language.

  13. Amen QuantaFille, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  14. #19
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    21,759
    Amen (Given)
    16423
    Amen (Received)
    10043
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    That's only because the English language is a stupid language. The fact that it sounds more natural to say the month before the day in English is proof that it's a stupid language.

    You're right. It is stupid. But it's all I've got.



    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  15. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  16. #20
    tWebber Christianbookworm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,557
    Amen (Given)
    5652
    Amen (Received)
    1832
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    That's only because the English language is a stupid language. The fact that it sounds more natural to say the month before the day in English is proof that it's a stupid language.
    English also mugs its vocabulary from other languages.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

  17. Amen QuantaFille amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •