Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

An excellent summary of the science of the expansion of the universal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An excellent summary of the science of the expansion of the universal

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2019/05/07/cosmologys-only-big-problems-are-manufactured-misunderstandings/#360a9fb75913

Cosmology's Only Big Problems Are Manufactured Misunderstandings

If you keep up with the latest science news, you're probably familiar with a large number of controversies concerning the nature of the Universe itself. Dark matter, thought to outweigh normal atomic matter by a 5-to-1 ratio, could be unnecessary, and replaced by a modification to our law of gravity. Dark energy, making up two-thirds of the Universe, is responsible for the accelerated expansion of space, but the expansion rate itself isn't even agreed upon. And cosmic inflation has recently been derided by some as unscientific, as some of its detractors claim it can predict anything, and therefore predicts nothing.

If you add them all together, as philosopher Bjørn Ekeberg did in his recent piece for Scientific American, you might think cosmology was in crisis. But if you're a scrupulous scientist, exactly the opposite is true. Here's why.

If you look farther and farther away, you also look farther and farther into the past. The earlier you go, the hotter and denser, as well as less-evolved, the Universe turns out to be. The earliest signals can even, potentially, tell us about what happened prior to the moments of the hot Big Bang.

If you look farther and farther away, you also look farther and farther into the past. The earlier you go, the hotter and denser, as well as less-evolved, the Universe turns out to be. The earliest signals can even, potentially, tell us about what happened prior to the moments of the hot Big Bang.
    Science is more than just a collection of facts, although it certainly relies on the full suite of data and information we've collected about the natural world. Science is also a process, where the prevailing theories and frameworks are confronted with as many novel tests as possible, seeking to either validate or refute the consequential predictions of our most successful ideas.

This is where the frontiers of science lie: at the edges of the validity of our leading theories. We make predictions, we go out and test them experimentally and observationally, and then we constrain, revise, or extend our ideas to accommodate whatever new information we obtained. The ultimate dream of many is to revolutionize the way we conceive of our world, and to replace our current theories with something even more successful and profound.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

It always felt to me that there is something wrong with the whole Dark Matter/Dark Energy theories. They seem like made-up stuff to explain facts we can't explain. More complicated than it needs to be.

Reminds me of the epicycle theory of the Ptolemaic system where they had weird circles within circles to explain retrograde orbits because they refused to accept the sun as the center of the solar system.

I think there is a simple explanation that will eliminate dark matter and dark energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      It always felt to me that there is something wrong with the whole Dark Matter/Dark Energy theories. They seem like made-up stuff to explain facts we can't explain. More complicated than it needs to be.

Reminds me of the epicycle theory of the Ptolemaic system where they had weird circles within circles to explain retrograde orbits because they refused to accept the sun as the center of the solar system.

I think there is a simple explanation that will eliminate dark matter and dark energy.
      As far as 'dark matter and dark energy' it is a yes and no that you may be right. Some scientists propose that our description of 'dark matter and energy' simply reflects the nature of the expanding universe leaving Quantum Mechanics voids in the wake of expansion. Also, 'dark matter and energy may be real, and we yet do not have an explanation for it. Dark matter and energy remain unexplained, and likely not subject to a simple explanation.
      Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-09-2019, 02:59 PM.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment