Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticker shock: Trump taking aim at ‘surprise medical bills’

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Sticker shock: Trump taking aim at ‘surprise medical bills’

Sticker shock: Trump taking aim at ‘surprise medical bills’

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump will begin a push Thursday to fight health care sticker shock by limiting “surprise medical bills,” the unexpected charges faced by insured patients when a member of a health care team that treated them is not in their insurer’s network.

Senior administration officials told The Associated Press the Republican president will outline principles he can support as part of legislation to limit such billing practices. Republican and Democratic lawmakers have been trying to make progress on the topic for months, and White House support improves chances that something will get done.

Patients being treated for medical emergencies often are in no position to check into whether their insurers have contracted with their surgeons or anesthesiologists to provide medical care. Trump wants to make it clear that patients who receive emergency care should not be hit with charges that exceed the amount paid to in-network providers.

“Surprise” bills amounting to tens of thousands of dollars can hit patients and their families when they are most vulnerable — after a medical emergency or following a complex surgical procedure. Often patients are able to negotiate lower charges by working with their insurers and the medical provider. But the process usually takes months, adding stress and anxiety.

The officials said the legislation also should protect patients seeking elective care by ensuring that they are fully informed before scheduling their care about which providers will be considered out of network and what extra costs that will generate.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter before Trump’s announcement. The White House effort is part of a broader push by the Trump administration to increase transparency in the health care system. On Wednesday, the administration finalized regulations requiring drug companies to disclose list prices of medications costing more than $35 for a month’s supply.

The president also will make the case that legislation should not lead to additional costs for taxpayers.....
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The article was yesterday, talking about "Trump's Announcement", which happened this morning. Stress on covering preexisting conditions, and cost of drugs not to exceed what the drug companies charge in other countries...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's a good thing. I hope they pass it.

I have to say I was unaware that the patient had to pay for 911 emergency services until I had to call an ambulance once when I had a hernia get pinched off. I always thought that if you were in an accident or had to call 911 for an ambulance that would be covered by the city or something as part of the 911 or fire department. Nope. they bill the freaking hell out of you. It's no wonder people refuse emergency service from ambulances.

I ended up with an ambulance bill of nearly $1000 and all they did was give me a ride to the hospital because I was unable to drive because of the pain. They gave me no medical aid other than a vomit bag. Luckily my insurance DID cover emergency calls and ambulances.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post

I have to say I was unaware that the patient had to pay for 911 emergency services until I had to call an ambulance once when I had a hernia get pinched off. I always thought that if you were in an accident or had to call 911 for an ambulance that would be covered by the city or something as part of the 911 or fire department. Nope. they bill the freaking hell out of you. It's no wonder people refuse emergency service from ambulances.

I ended up with an ambulance bill of nearly $1000 and all they did was give me a ride to the hospital because I was unable to drive because of the pain. They gave me no medical aid other than a vomit bag. Luckily my insurance DID cover emergency calls and ambulances.
    Just pray you never have to be life-flighted anywhere! The bill for that is astounding!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Just pray you never have to be life-flighted anywhere! The bill for that is astounding!
    Pretty much puts the lie to "healthcare is a right", doesn't it?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

6. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Pretty much puts the lie to "healthcare is a right", doesn't it?
    I would guess Trump is trying to pull the rug out from under all the "FREE MEDICARE FOR ALL" nutters -- at least, he's weakening their case by addressing issues.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

What they do in my area is call in Life Star (helicopter) way too much, and in cases that are not life threatening where an ambulance would have been fine $12-13,000.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How Trump’s Latest Plan to Cut Drug Prices Will Affect You

The proposal seeks to lower out-of-pocket spending in Medicare by taking aim at the secret deals that drug makers strike with industry go-betweens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/h...ates-sotu.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    What they do in my area is call in Life Star (helicopter) way too much, and in cases that are not life threatening where an ambulance would have been fine $12-13,000.
    In many communities, they kinda try to bluff you into paying that bill if your insurance doesn't, but I've known of cases where the people simply said they didn't have the money, and it was dropped. Not sure how many municipalities or hospitals or agencies actively try to collect that, up to and including turning it over to "collections".

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    In many communities, they kinda try to bluff you into paying that bill if your insurance doesn't, but I've known of cases where the people simply said they didn't have the money, and it was dropped. Not sure how many municipalities or hospitals or agencies actively try to collect that, up to and including turning it over to "collections".
    Back in the day an outstanding medical bill could not be held against your credit rating. That is no longer true...