Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sticker shock: Trump taking aim at ‘surprise medical bills’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticker shock: Trump taking aim at ‘surprise medical bills’

Sticker shock: Trump taking aim at ‘surprise medical bills’

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump will begin a push Thursday to fight health care sticker shock by limiting “surprise medical bills,” the unexpected charges faced by insured patients when a member of a health care team that treated them is not in their insurer’s network.

Senior administration officials told The Associated Press the Republican president will outline principles he can support as part of legislation to limit such billing practices. Republican and Democratic lawmakers have been trying to make progress on the topic for months, and White House support improves chances that something will get done.

Patients being treated for medical emergencies often are in no position to check into whether their insurers have contracted with their surgeons or anesthesiologists to provide medical care. Trump wants to make it clear that patients who receive emergency care should not be hit with charges that exceed the amount paid to in-network providers.

“Surprise” bills amounting to tens of thousands of dollars can hit patients and their families when they are most vulnerable — after a medical emergency or following a complex surgical procedure. Often patients are able to negotiate lower charges by working with their insurers and the medical provider. But the process usually takes months, adding stress and anxiety.

The officials said the legislation also should protect patients seeking elective care by ensuring that they are fully informed before scheduling their care about which providers will be considered out of network and what extra costs that will generate.

The officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter before Trump’s announcement. The White House effort is part of a broader push by the Trump administration to increase transparency in the health care system. On Wednesday, the administration finalized regulations requiring drug companies to disclose list prices of medications costing more than $35 for a month’s supply.

The president also will make the case that legislation should not lead to additional costs for taxpayers.....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The article was yesterday, talking about "Trump's Announcement", which happened this morning. Stress on covering preexisting conditions, and cost of drugs not to exceed what the drug companies charge in other countries...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's a good thing. I hope they pass it.

I have to say I was unaware that the patient had to pay for 911 emergency services until I had to call an ambulance once when I had a hernia get pinched off. I always thought that if you were in an accident or had to call 911 for an ambulance that would be covered by the city or something as part of the 911 or fire department. Nope. they bill the freaking hell out of you. It's no wonder people refuse emergency service from ambulances.

I ended up with an ambulance bill of nearly $1000 and all they did was give me a ride to the hospital because I was unable to drive because of the pain. They gave me no medical aid other than a vomit bag. Luckily my insurance DID cover emergency calls and ambulances.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I have to say I was unaware that the patient had to pay for 911 emergency services until I had to call an ambulance once when I had a hernia get pinched off. I always thought that if you were in an accident or had to call 911 for an ambulance that would be covered by the city or something as part of the 911 or fire department. Nope. they bill the freaking hell out of you. It's no wonder people refuse emergency service from ambulances.

I ended up with an ambulance bill of nearly $1000 and all they did was give me a ride to the hospital because I was unable to drive because of the pain. They gave me no medical aid other than a vomit bag. Luckily my insurance DID cover emergency calls and ambulances.
        Just pray you never have to be life-flighted anywhere! The bill for that is astounding!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Just pray you never have to be life-flighted anywhere! The bill for that is astounding!
          Pretty much puts the lie to "healthcare is a right", doesn't it?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Pretty much puts the lie to "healthcare is a right", doesn't it?
            I would guess Trump is trying to pull the rug out from under all the "FREE MEDICARE FOR ALL" nutters -- at least, he's weakening their case by addressing issues.

Comment

What they do in my area is call in Life Star (helicopter) way too much, and in cases that are not life threatening where an ambulance would have been fine $12-13,000.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

How Trump’s Latest Plan to Cut Drug Prices Will Affect You

The proposal seeks to lower out-of-pocket spending in Medicare by taking aim at the secret deals that drug makers strike with industry go-betweens.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/05/h...ates-sotu.html
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  What they do in my area is call in Life Star (helicopter) way too much, and in cases that are not life threatening where an ambulance would have been fine $12-13,000.
                  In many communities, they kinda try to bluff you into paying that bill if your insurance doesn't, but I've known of cases where the people simply said they didn't have the money, and it was dropped. Not sure how many municipalities or hospitals or agencies actively try to collect that, up to and including turning it over to "collections".

Comment

In many communities, they kinda try to bluff you into paying that bill if your insurance doesn't, but I've known of cases where the people simply said they didn't have the money, and it was dropped. Not sure how many municipalities or hospitals or agencies actively try to collect that, up to and including turning it over to "collections".
                    Back in the day an outstanding medical bill could not be held against your credit rating. That is no longer true...

Comment

I don't get how they can charge you for an ambulance ride. In most cities the EMT service is part of the Fire Dept. The ambulances are owned and maintained by them, the EMTs are paid by them, and they are a city service paid for by taxes. They don't send you a bill when the Fire Dept puts out a fire at your house (or do they? ) and they don't charge you if you call 911 for the police. So why do they charge you for the ambulance? I know there are private ambulance companies, but when you call 911 you are calling the metro services, not a private ambulance company.

Comment

I don't get how they can charge you for an ambulance ride. In most cities the EMT service is part of the Fire Dept. The ambulances are owned and maintained by them, the EMTs are paid by them, and they are a city service paid for by taxes. They don't send you a bill when the Fire Dept puts out a fire at your house (or do they? ) and they don't charge you if you call 911 for the police. So why do they charge you for the ambulance? I know there are private ambulance companies, but when you call 911 you are calling the metro services, not a private ambulance company.
                        You can expect up to $1000 bill for being taken to the hospital via ambulance around here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Supplemental Revenue is what they call it here. If they can recoup the cost, they do, then they're free to spend that money on other stuff. I asked one of my FF buddies if they ever go to collections on that, and he said "Pffffft".

Comment

Supplemental Revenue is what they call it here. If they can recoup the cost, they do, then they're free to spend that money on other stuff. I asked one of my FF buddies if they ever go to collections on that, and he said "Pffffft".
                            it's ripping people off. If their taxes are already paying for the ambulance, the EMTs, the gas, and all of the equipment then they have no right to charge for it all over again.

Comment

it's ripping people off. If their taxes are already paying for the ambulance, the EMTs, the gas, and all of the equipment then they have no right to charge for it all over again.
                              This is specifically about Montana, but is an interesting read...

Lifesaving Flights Can Come With Life-Changing Bills

I had a fight with our local fire department years ago when one of their "air ambulances" landed in my Church's parking lot about an hour before Sunday Evening Service. They blocked off the entire parking lot with firetrucks and apparatus - in case the helicopter crashes or catches fire. I was already at the Church, so I went out to ask how long they'd be.... totally understanding that it was probably a life or death situation and I had no problem with them landing there - but people were going to be arriving for Church.

The commander on the scene was really snitty and told me "It takes as long as it takes", and pretty much ordered me to back off.

You better believe I met with the fire chief the next morning - and he was already prepared to grovel. He said "my guy on the scene didn't know you were the pastor" to which I responded "It doesn't matter if I'm the pastor or not, a civil servant doesn't need to talk to ANY taxpayer that way!"

He had the guy come in and apologize to me personally, but it was the typical "Yeah, I'm sorry, but you just don't understand the pressure... blah blah blah...."

Comment