Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Australian Fascism...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Like many religioso, he takes it too far and weaponises his religion. ‘Hell’ is not used as a warning to others, he ought to know that the others do not accept the premise, but simply an expression of his disgust. The Islamic State threw them off rooftops. We don’t like that for precisely the same reason.
    There's a really long established, and thus historical tradition, of evangelists using the threat of hell as a persuasive technique to appeal to potential converts. It might be an expression of his disgust, but without further information, it's impossible to tell. At any rate, we seem to be discussing some kind of Christian here, not a Muslim extremist, so I don't see the parallel.

fwiw,
    guacamole
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
      There's a really long established, and thus historical tradition, of evangelists using the threat of hell as a persuasive technique to appeal to potential converts. It might be an expression of his disgust, but without further information, it's impossible to tell. At any rate, we seem to be discussing some kind of Christian here, not a Muslim extremist, so I don't see the parallel.

fwiw,
      guacamole
      It’s all Abrahamism. One hopes that belief in Heaven and Hell as actual locations is diminishing even among Christians and they will realise the need to focus on more tangible incentives.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

It’s all Abrahamism. One hopes that belief in Heaven and Hell as actual locations is diminishing even among Christians and they will realise the need to focus on more tangible incentives.
        No. The Abrahamic religions are not the only ones that believe in after-death punishment. Merely proposing the threat of punishment (or reward) is not, in and of itself, hateful. There are a thousand ways that people do this.
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12229930
          Source: NZ Herald

Super Rugby players huddle for prayer on pitch to show solidarity with Israel Folau

Australian Super Rugby players from the Melbourne Rebels and the Queensland Reds huddled for a post-match prayer on Friday amid reports of anger among the game's Christians over the handling of the Israel Folau social media furore.

Wallabies fullback Folau, a fundamentalist Christian, moved a step closer to being sacked by Rugby Australia (RA) this week after he was found to have committed a 'high-level' code of conduct breach for a post that said hell awaited 'drunks, homosexuals, adulterers' and others.

The case has upset a number of Folau's Wallabies team mates who share his religious beliefs, with Reds prop Taniela Tupou writing that RA 'might as well sack... all the other Pacific Islands rugby players around the world.'

Following the Rebels' 30-24 win over the Reds, players from both sides knelt on the pitch with arms locked in a circle as Reds hooker Brandon Paenga-Amosa addressed the group with emotion.

The huddle included a number of Australia players, including Queensland captain Samu Kerevi, his Reds teammate Sefa Naivalu and another Wallabies winger in Melbourne's Marika Koroibete.

It is not unusual for Polynesian players from rival teams to gather together in prayer following on-field battles.

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
            No. The Abrahamic religions are not the only ones that believe in after-death punishment. Merely proposing the threat of punishment (or reward) is not, in and of itself, hateful. There are a thousand ways that people do this.
            Yes, I agree that the idea itself may not be hateful although it might be harmful. The problem really is how people use the idea against someone else’s free will or to intimidate them, to ridicule them, and so on. In the wrong hands, these are dangerous, even murderous ideas.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

In the wrong hands, these are dangerous, even murderous ideas.
              Thank goodness that we don't answer to you...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yes, I agree that the idea itself may not be hateful although it might be harmful. The problem really is how people use the idea against someone else’s free will or to intimidate them, to ridicule them, and so on. In the wrong hands, these are dangerous, even murderous ideas.
                The same can be said of scalpels
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Virtually anything can be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment