Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Colorado Students Walk Out Of School Shooting Vigil After It Turns Political

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    I agree with the sentiments expressed here but I wonder whether, if the political message had been pro-guns, and the students had walked out, would you have been calling them ‘snowflakes’.
    Can you give a 'for instance' where anybody had the unmitigated gall to try to turn a vigil into a "gun rights" rally?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      I agree with the sentiments expressed here but I wonder whether, if the political message had been pro-guns, and the students had walked out, would you have been calling them ‘snowflakes’.
      Let me be more clear -- if anybody was a big enough jackass to try to turn a vigil for dead students into a gun rights rally, I'd be too busy excoriating them for their jackassery --- THEN I'd say the students had every right to walk out.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Let me be more clear -- if anybody was a big enough jackass to try to turn a vigil for dead students into a gun rights rally, I'd be too busy excoriating them for their jackassery --- THEN I'd say the students had every right to walk out.
        I’m with you 100%.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Can you give a 'for instance' where anybody had the unmitigated gall to try to turn a vigil into a "gun rights" rally?
          That would never happen as the guns were what were used to produce the deaths that created the need for a vigil.

In this case you cant simply negate the premise and derive an analogous conclusion.

Jim
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-12-2019, 08:59 AM.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Well of course. In that case the polititian would be arguing for magnifying the problem that created the need for the vigil. OTOH, the impetus to argue for gun control, while crassly opportunistic, is at least pointed in the direction of trying to prevent what produced the need for the vigil.

The students were right to take offense at being manipulated. But there is not even any real opportunity to manipulate if one is arguing for gun rights. The gun rights lobby generally tries to lay low around events like this and only surface later to defend against renewed calls for gun control that naturally arise after events like this.

And in that reality is the guilty knowledge that easy access to guns is part of the problem.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It's just basic decency to allow folks a chance to bury their dead before seeking to exploit them for political advantage.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It's just basic decency to allow folks a chance to bury their dead before seeking to exploit them for political advantage.
                You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
                Rahm Emanuel

But, this time, they obviously went too far too fast, and it blew up in their faces. As well it should.

Comment

we had similar here when a vigil for those killed in the Christchurch attack. Several speakers at the vigil tried to turn it into a political rally (not about gun control, but racism) and it upset large number of people attending.
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Wasn't there an incident during the Clinton presidency, a governor Weldon or something like that, whose funeral turned into a political rally? I don't remember any details.
                    When I Survey....

Comment

That was Paul Wellstone, Minesota senator, killed in a plane crash October 25, 2002.
                      When I Survey....

Comment

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
                        Rahm Emanuel

But, this time, they obviously went too far too fast, and it blew up in their faces. As well it should.
                        Politicians in general, and Democrats in particular, have this problem. I really noticed it during Paul Wellstone's memorial which was broadcast live and was turned into a political rally. More than a few pundits thought that hurt the party nationally in the 2002 midterms held less than two weeks later.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Politicians in general, and Democrats in particular, have this problem. I really noticed it during Paul Wellstone's memorial which was broadcast live and was turned into a political rally. More than a few pundits thought that hurt the party nationally in the 2002 midterms held less than two weeks later.
                          Heck, what about McCain's funeral which turned into a bitter anti-Trump ceremony? (Although a lot of that can be blamed on McCain himself who made it a point before his death to ban the President from his funeral.)
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Even so, that was different - they were memorializing a POLITICIAN, not a non-political student. My favorite memory is the giant beach ball being batted around the arena during the "somber" memorial, which turned into a political rally. The White House had offered to send Cheney, and they declined the offer -- because it was, indeed, a political event, and it's no surprise it was.

Comment

Even so, that was different - they were memorializing a POLITICIAN, not a non-political student. My favorite memory is the giant beach ball being batted around the arena during the "somber" memorial, which turned into a political rally. The White House had offered to send Cheney, and they declined the offer -- because it was, indeed, a political event, and it's no surprise it was.
                              As stated that was when I really noticed it.

Comment

As stated that was when I really noticed it.
                                Well, yeah, but it's gotten way worserer.

Comment