Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Colorado Students Walk Out Of School Shooting Vigil After It Turns Political

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Well of course. In that case the polititian would be arguing for magnifying the problem that created the need for the vigil. OTOH, the impetus to argue for gun control, while crassly opportunistic, is at least pointed in the direction of trying to prevent what produced the need for the vigil.

The students were right to take offense at being manipulated. But there is not even any real opportunity to manipulate if one is arguing for gun rights. The gun rights lobby generally tries to lay low around events like this and only surface later to defend against renewed calls for gun control that naturally arise after events like this.

And in that reality is the guilty knowledge that easy access to guns is part of the problem.

Jim
    I have news for you Jim YOU DO NOT have the Ability to read minds stop pretending you do.

Comment

That would never happen as the guns were what were used to produce the deaths that created the need for a vigil.

In this case you cant simply negate the premise and derive an analogous conclusion.

Jim
      Given that only one person was killed, and 8 injured, the same sick individuals who did the crime could have achieved the exact same outcome with knives and/or baseball bats and/or a sock with a half a brick in it.

Guns aren't the problem. Mental issues are to blame here.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        I have news for you Jim YOU DO NOT have the Ability to read minds stop pretending you do.
        Would not your assumption I'm trying to read minds be your own attempt at reading my mind?

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          Given that only one person was killed, and 8 injured, the same sick individuals who did the crime could have achieved the exact same outcome with knives and/or baseball bats and/or a sock with a half a brick in it.

Guns aren't the problem. Mental issues are to blame here.
          No - Guns are a big part of the problem. But they are not the only part of the problem. Sure, crazies are the ones that take guns and kill lots of people. But that is why we need ways to reduce the lethal force crazies find it easy to get their hands on. Guns make it much easier for people with mental issues to kill people. And high powered semi-automatic rifles make it easy to kill a lot of people. And I seriously doubt a person with a knife of baseball bat could achieve the same outcome as easily or with as little training.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No - Guns are a big part of the problem. But they are not the only part of the problem. Sure, crazies are the ones that take guns and kill lots of people. But that is why we need ways to reduce the lethal force crazies find it easy to get their hands on. Guns make it much easier for people with mental issues to kill people. And high powered semi-automatic rifles make it easy to kill a lot of people. And I seriously doubt a person with a knife of baseball bat could achieve the same outcome as easily or with as little training.

Jim
            Erm, from what I've read of the stats, the majority of shooting deaths, especially in mass shootings are hand guns, not semi-automatic rifles.
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Jim
              There's a bit of irony in the fact that you're in a thread about people trying to turn a vigil into gun control debate - and you're trying to turn the thread into a gun control debate.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Erm, from what I've read of the stats, the majority of shooting deaths, especially in mass shootings are hand guns, not semi-automatic rifles.
                For decades they were almost never used in any form of crimes but that changed after multiple movies, video games etc. made them their weapon of choice and politicians kept harping about them. I'm sure it's a coincidence.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  For decades they were almost never used in any form of crimes but that changed after multiple movies, video games etc. made them their weapon of choice and politicians kept harping about them. I'm sure it's a coincidence.
                  Uh huh, yep, of course. It's only coincidence that more products get sold after they have been advertised, too, which is why companies like to spend so much on advertising.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    There's a bit of irony in the fact that you're in a thread about people trying to turn a vigil into gun control debate - and you're trying to turn the thread into a gun control debate.
                    I am responding in kind to a discussion already underway on gun control. If you'll notice im not taking pot shots at people's character or motivations. Do you think it might be possible for you to do the same?

Jim

Comment

Correct. The post you responded to simply noted guns make it easier to kill people than other sorts of weaponry, and semi-automatics rifles make it easy to kill many people quickly. It wasn't an analysis of the weapons used in shooting deaths. semi-automatics in general (or illegally automatics) can fire more shots in a given period of time, rifles have more power and more distance and greater accuracy. So if a crazy wants to kill lots of people, and handguns tend to have more restrictions on buying state to state, then the weapon that is easiest for them to get that will kill lots of people quickly - in general - is a semi-automatic rifle.

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I am responding in kind to a discussion already underway on gun control. If you'll notice im not taking pot shots at people's character or motivations. Do you think it might be possible for you to do the same?

Jim
                        Bless your heart.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Bless your heart.
                          ok - so be it.

Jim

Comment

Why is it anytime a tragedy happens these democrats have to make it political, sheesh they cannot even give it a few days before they start spouting their tripe.

Comment

Would not your assumption I'm trying to read minds be your own attempt at reading my mind?

Jim
                              just reading your words in context here Oxmixmudd

The students were right to take offense at being manipulated. But there is not even any real opportunity to manipulate if one is arguing for gun rights. The gun rights lobby generally tries to lay low around events like this and only surface later to defend against renewed calls for gun control that naturally arise after events like this.

And in that reality is the guilty knowledge that easy access to guns is part of the problem.

Jim
                              I'm only looking at what you posted here and seeing your attempt for what it is and calling you on it. Neither the Memorial nor this Thread are the proper places for the gun debate. You are the one that presupposed that those of us on the side of the 2nd Amendment and the rights of law abiding citizens won't hijack a memorial because there is guilty knowledge about the so called "easy" access to guns an assertion not in evidence. I was just calling you out on your attempt to put the worst light possible on why those who fight to protect the 2nd amendment and the right's afforded to Law abiding citizens for not hijacking the memorial. you refused to accept that the only reason is because we unlike the other side know that a memorial is not the place for politics and will not hijack them for that reason. I"m done I will no longer be a party to any attempt to hijack CPs thread.
                              Last edited by RumTumTugger; 05-15-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                                just reading your words in context here Oxmixmudd

I'm only looking at what you posted here and seeing your attempt for what it is and calling you on it. Neither the Memorial nor this Thread are the proper places for the gun debate. You are the one that presupposed that those of us on the side of the 2nd Amendment and the rights of law abiding citizens won't hijack a memorial because there is guilty knowledge about the so called "easy" access to guns an assertion not in evidence. I was just calling you out on your attempt to put the worst light possible on why those who fight to protect the 2nd amendment and the right's afforded to Law abiding citizens for not hijacking the memorial. you refused to accept that the only reason is because we unlike the other side know that a memorial is not the place for politics and will not hijack them for that reason. I"m done I will no longer be a party to any attempt to hijack CPs thread.

The subject of my reference to guilty knowledge had nothing to do with hijacking memorials. It would be absurd to say not hijacking memorials for any political purpose displayed guilty knowledge. It's just common decency not to do that.

And indeed, I didn't mention memorials in that paragraph at all. I was making the point that there are no emotions to manipulate ANYWHERE for gun rights after a mass shooting. I was referencing the fact that when a mass shooting occurs, the gun rights lobbyists lay low a bit and wait till the emotions ebb. And in doing so (laying low) they display a guilty knowledge that easy access to guns is part of the problem, in spite of the fact their rhetoric says otherwise.

Jim

Comment