Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Colorado Students Walk Out Of School Shooting Vigil After It Turns Political

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Students Walk Out Of School Shooting Vigil After It Turns Political

Good on them!

Colorado students walked out of an event billed as a vigil for Kendrick Castillo, an 18-year-old killed in a shooting at his school on Tuesday, when prominent speakers attempted to turn it into a rally for gun control. Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colorado) and Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colorado) each took a turn calling for gun control at the Douglas County event before students streamed out in protest.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Yes!
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Students then returned to the gymnasium, taking over the event, complaining about adults politicizing what they hoped would be a remembrance of their friend Castillo, a young man with an interest in robotics who had heroically rushed a shooter. Students also gave Bennet a piece of their mind, telling him to focus on “mental health” issues.

walk out.jpg
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

These soul sucking demoncrats won't even wait until the bodies are cold. Despicable...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          These soul sucking demoncrats won't even wait until the bodies are cold. Despicable...
          I hope they pay at the polls.

Comment

There might be hope for our country yet, when the young call out the politicians using them

Comment

Originally posted by grmorton View Post
              There might be hope for our country yet, when the young call out the politicians using them
              Yep

Comment

Originally posted by grmorton View Post
                I agree.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Good on them!

Colorado students walked out of an event billed as a vigil for Kendrick Castillo, an 18-year-old killed in a shooting at his school on Tuesday, when prominent speakers attempted to turn it into a rally for gun control. Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colorado) and Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colorado) each took a turn calling for gun control at the Douglas County event before students streamed out in protest.

Not getting any coverage
                  Last edited by rogue06; 05-10-2019, 02:23 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

All derails about Trump have been moved here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...hings-TrumpOCD

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I love it...

Why I left the Colorado school shooting vigil: Students want change but first let us mourn

Watching politicians and activists use our classmate's death and our pain to promote their agendas was disrespectful and inappropriate.

Freshman year, fourth period, robotics class, 2016. Sitting across from me was a musician, once a friend, and now, accused of the most recent school shooting.

The shooting at my Colorado school happened long before Tuesday. My former classmate was bullied at school because of his smaller stature. He needed help. This does not serve as an excuse. I wasn't on campus at the time of the shooting, but the accused attackers deserve to bear the weight of the lives dismantled and the death of Kendrick Castillo on their shoulders.

Students at STEM, like the rest of the nation, desire change, but let’s not focus on that just yet. News of a vigil to be held on Wednesday night spread on social media. We attended that vigil for the purpose of honoring Kendrick’s life and the sacrifices he made for our school. We wanted the nation to know about Kendrick Castillo, a selfless, loving individual with far more remarkable characteristics than can be listed.

Vigil turned to political rally

We quickly realized that many who attended this vigil desired to exploit our pain to support political agendas. To his credit, Sen. Michael Bennett did briefly begin with his sympathies; however, he immediately began speaking about “broken gun laws in America.” Similarly, Lauren Reeves of Moms Demand Action stressed electing "gun-smart politicians" and increasing gun restrictions and laws.

That isn't why we gathered together. Though these speakers may have had good intentions, they badly misread what we needed from this vigil. STEM students were looking for solace and a place to publicly honor the life of Kendrick so that the nation knows what he did for our school....

These kids have way more credibility than the politicians who came there to exploit them with their own political agendas.

Glad the kids took a stand! Maybe that will be a good message to other politicians looking to exploit tragedy for their own gain.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Not getting any coverage
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]36959[/ATTACH]
                        Of course not. It doesn't fit the narrative.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Of course not. It doesn't fit the narrative.
                          Now, if the Students had staged a die-in, or applauded the gun grabbers....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Now, if the Students had staged a die-in, or applauded the gun grabbers....
                            They would be repeatedly brought on as guests by CNN, MSNBC, would be on all the Sunday talking head shows this morning, and getting tons of money and assistance to tour the country and attend rallies.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I agree with the sentiments expressed here but I wonder whether, if the political message had been pro-guns, and the students had walked out, would you have been calling them ‘snowflakes’.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment