Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Students Walk Out Of School Shooting Vigil After It Turns Political

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I love it...

Why I left the Colorado school shooting vigil: Students want change but first let us mourn

Watching politicians and activists use our classmate's death and our pain to promote their agendas was disrespectful and inappropriate.

Freshman year, fourth period, robotics class, 2016. Sitting across from me was a musician, once a friend, and now, accused of the most recent school shooting.

The shooting at my Colorado school happened long before Tuesday. My former classmate was bullied at school because of his smaller stature. He needed help. This does not serve as an excuse. I wasn't on campus at the time of the shooting, but the accused attackers deserve to bear the weight of the lives dismantled and the death of Kendrick Castillo on their shoulders.

Students at STEM, like the rest of the nation, desire change, but let’s not focus on that just yet. News of a vigil to be held on Wednesday night spread on social media. We attended that vigil for the purpose of honoring Kendrick’s life and the sacrifices he made for our school. We wanted the nation to know about Kendrick Castillo, a selfless, loving individual with far more remarkable characteristics than can be listed.

Vigil turned to political rally

We quickly realized that many who attended this vigil desired to exploit our pain to support political agendas. To his credit, Sen. Michael Bennett did briefly begin with his sympathies; however, he immediately began speaking about “broken gun laws in America.” Similarly, Lauren Reeves of Moms Demand Action stressed electing "gun-smart politicians" and increasing gun restrictions and laws.

That isn't why we gathered together. Though these speakers may have had good intentions, they badly misread what we needed from this vigil. STEM students were looking for solace and a place to publicly honor the life of Kendrick so that the nation knows what he did for our school....

These kids have way more credibility than the politicians who came there to exploit them with their own political agendas.

Glad the kids took a stand! Maybe that will be a good message to other politicians looking to exploit tragedy for their own gain.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

2. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Not getting any coverage

Of course not. It doesn't fit the narrative.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Of course not. It doesn't fit the narrative.
    Now, if the Students had staged a die-in, or applauded the gun grabbers....

5. Amen RumTumTugger, Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Now, if the Students had staged a die-in, or applauded the gun grabbers....
    They would be repeatedly brought on as guests by CNN, MSNBC, would be on all the Sunday talking head shows this morning, and getting tons of money and assistance to tour the country and attend rallies.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

7. Amen Cow Poke, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I agree with the sentiments expressed here but I wonder whether, if the political message had been pro-guns, and the students had walked out, would you have been calling them ‘snowflakes’.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    I agree with the sentiments expressed here but I wonder whether, if the political message had been pro-guns, and the students had walked out, would you have been calling them ‘snowflakes’.
    Can you give a 'for instance' where anybody had the unmitigated gall to try to turn a vigil into a "gun rights" rally?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Let me be more clear -- if anybody was a big enough jackass to try to turn a vigil for dead students into a gun rights rally, I'd be too busy excoriating them for their jackassery --- THEN I'd say the students had every right to walk out.

11. Amen RumTumTugger, ke7ejx amen'd this post.
    Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Let me be more clear -- if anybody was a big enough jackass to try to turn a vigil for dead students into a gun rights rally, I'd be too busy excoriating them for their jackassery --- THEN I'd say the students had every right to walk out.
    I’m with you 100%.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

13. Amen Cow Poke, ke7ejx amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Can you give a 'for instance' where anybody had the unmitigated gall to try to turn a vigil into a "gun rights" rally?
    That would never happen as the guns were what were used to produce the deaths that created the need for a vigil.

In this case you cant simply negate the premise and derive an analogous conclusion.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-12-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    Jorge's trueorigins paper: "...it is known that other volcanic features match what is usually associated with impact craters including ... shatter cones and crystal deformations"

Planetary Science Institute: "Shatter cones … are found in only two places on Earth, 1) in nuclear test sites and 2) meteorite impact structures. They are formed as a result of the high pressure, high velocity shock wave ...

maximum pressures from 45 to 200 times greater than found in volcanic events (2->20 Gpa)

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well of course. In that case the polititian would be arguing for magnifying the problem that created the need for the vigil. OTOH, the impetus to argue for gun control, while crassly opportunistic, is at least pointed in the direction of trying to prevent what produced the need for the vigil.

The students were right to take offense at being manipulated. But there is not even any real opportunity to manipulate if one is arguing for gun rights. The gun rights lobby generally tries to lay low around events like this and only surface later to defend against renewed calls for gun control that naturally arise after events like this.

And in that reality is the guilty knowledge that easy access to guns is part of the problem.

Jim
    Jorge's trueorigins paper: "...it is known that other volcanic features match what is usually associated with impact craters including ... shatter cones and crystal deformations"

Planetary Science Institute: "Shatter cones … are found in only two places on Earth, 1) in nuclear test sites and 2) meteorite impact structures. They are formed as a result of the high pressure, high velocity shock wave ...

maximum pressures from 45 to 200 times greater than found in volcanic events (2->20 Gpa)