Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Students Walk Out Of School Shooting Vigil After It Turns Political

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Let me be more clear -- if anybody was a big enough jackass to try to turn a vigil for dead students into a gun rights rally, I'd be too busy excoriating them for their jackassery --- THEN I'd say the students had every right to walk out.
    It's just basic decency to allow folks a chance to bury their dead before seeking to exploit them for political advantage.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

2. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    It's just basic decency to allow folks a chance to bury their dead before seeking to exploit them for political advantage.
    You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
    Rahm Emanuel

But, this time, they obviously went too far too fast, and it blew up in their faces. As well it should.
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    we had similar here when a vigil for those killed in the Christchurch attack. Several speakers at the vigil tried to turn it into a political rally (not about gun control, but racism) and it upset large number of people attending.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Wasn't there an incident during the Clinton presidency, a governor Weldon or something like that, whose funeral turned into a political rally? I don't remember any details.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That was Paul Wellstone, Minesota senator, killed in a plane crash October 25, 2002.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
    Rahm Emanuel

But, this time, they obviously went too far too fast, and it blew up in their faces. As well it should.
    Politicians in general, and Democrats in particular, have this problem. I really noticed it during Paul Wellstone's memorial which was broadcast live and was turned into a political rally. More than a few pundits thought that hurt the party nationally in the 2002 midterms held less than two weeks later.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Politicians in general, and Democrats in particular, have this problem. I really noticed it during Paul Wellstone's memorial which was broadcast live and was turned into a political rally. More than a few pundits thought that hurt the party nationally in the 2002 midterms held less than two weeks later.
    Heck, what about McCain's funeral which turned into a bitter anti-Trump ceremony? (Although a lot of that can be blamed on McCain himself who made it a point before his death to ban the President from his funeral.)
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Even so, that was different - they were memorializing a POLITICIAN, not a non-political student. My favorite memory is the giant beach ball being batted around the arena during the "somber" memorial, which turned into a political rally. The White House had offered to send Cheney, and they declined the offer -- because it was, indeed, a political event, and it's no surprise it was.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Even so, that was different - they were memorializing a POLITICIAN, not a non-political student. My favorite memory is the giant beach ball being batted around the arena during the "somber" memorial, which turned into a political rally. The White House had offered to send Cheney, and they declined the offer -- because it was, indeed, a political event, and it's no surprise it was.
    As stated that was when I really noticed it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As stated that was when I really noticed it.
    Well, yeah, but it's gotten way worserer.