Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73

Thread: Trump's Trade Deals...

  1. #1
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,274
    Amen (Given)
    1493
    Amen (Received)
    4640

    Trump's Trade Deals...

    I was watch this fellow on C-Span that past weekend who wrote a book on the economy. He was asked why CEO pay so outstripped the average wage over the last 30 years. One word, globalization. Of course if you can pay a worker one tenth of what you pay an American worker, with much lower regulation, the more profit for the companies, CEOs and owners. I'm a protectionist, I believe in protecting US jobs, as much as possible. Many may not like what Trump is trying to do (especially Wall Street) but at least he is trying. Bush one did nothing, Clinton did nothing, Bush two did nothing and neither did Obama. At least Trump is trying, especially with China. And I don't understand why liberals (the working man's friend) do not support this.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  2. #2
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,088
    Amen (Given)
    5435
    Amen (Received)
    5210
    In Obama's case, he knew jobs were leaving our shores and joked about how you would need a magic wand to bring them back.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  3. #3
    tWebber tabibito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    DownUnder
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,311
    Amen (Given)
    184
    Amen (Received)
    679
    Free trade does tend to turn jobs into a country's chief export.
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

  4. #4
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,324
    Amen (Given)
    24
    Amen (Received)
    1034
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I was watch this fellow on C-Span that past weekend who wrote a book on the economy. He was asked why CEO pay so outstripped the average wage over the last 30 years. One word, globalization. Of course if you can pay a worker one tenth of what you pay an American worker, with much lower regulation, the more profit for the companies, CEOs and owners. I'm a protectionist, I believe in protecting US jobs, as much as possible. Many may not like what Trump is trying to do (especially Wall Street) but at least he is trying. Bush one did nothing, Clinton did nothing, Bush two did nothing and neither did Obama. At least Trump is trying, especially with China. And I don't understand why liberals (the working man's friend) do not support this.
    Trump is so economically illiterate, he doesn't even know that the tariffs he's been imposing on Chinese goods are being paid by Americans, not China. A three-year old can try to fix a computer - but he'll probably only end up hitting it with his toy hammer.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  5. #5
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,088
    Amen (Given)
    5435
    Amen (Received)
    5210
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Trump is so economically illiterate, he doesn't even know that the tariffs he's been imposing on Chinese goods are being paid by Americans, not China. A three-year old can try to fix a computer - but he'll probably only end up hitting it with his toy hammer.
    And your proof is apparently random commenters in a Twitter thread... yeah...
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  6. #6
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,274
    Amen (Given)
    1493
    Amen (Received)
    4640
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Trump is so economically illiterate, he doesn't even know that the tariffs he's been imposing on Chinese goods are being paid by Americans, not China. A three-year old can try to fix a computer - but he'll probably only end up hitting it with his toy hammer.
    Trump, is not the one doing the actual negotiation Carp, and again at least he is trying to do something, we have new deals with South Korea, Canada/Mexico, and a tentative agreement with the EU.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  7. #7
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,274
    Amen (Given)
    1493
    Amen (Received)
    4640
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And your proof is apparently random commenters in a Twitter thread... yeah...
    A tariff is a tax on imports and paid directly to the Treasury, Trump is correct here. But they often result in higher consumer costs for us, Carp is correct there.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  8. #8
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,324
    Amen (Given)
    24
    Amen (Received)
    1034
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    And your proof is apparently random commenters in a Twitter thread... yeah...
    No - the proof is Trump's own tweet...which repeats something he's now tweeted (and said) several times. Did you not follow the link?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  9. #9
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,324
    Amen (Given)
    24
    Amen (Received)
    1034
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Trump, is not the one doing the actual negotiation Carp, and again at least he is trying to do something, we have new deals with South Korea, Canada/Mexico, and a tentative agreement with the EU.
    My point stands...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  10. #10
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,274
    Amen (Given)
    1493
    Amen (Received)
    4640
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    My point stands...
    What point? Let me repeat:A tariff is a tax on imports and paid directly to the Treasury, Trump is correct here. But they often result in higher consumer costs for us, Carp is correct there.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •