Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Trade Deals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's Trade Deals...

I was watch this fellow on C-Span that past weekend who wrote a book on the economy. He was asked why CEO pay so outstripped the average wage over the last 30 years. One word, globalization. Of course if you can pay a worker one tenth of what you pay an American worker, with much lower regulation, the more profit for the companies, CEOs and owners. I'm a protectionist, I believe in protecting US jobs, as much as possible. Many may not like what Trump is trying to do (especially Wall Street) but at least he is trying. Bush one did nothing, Clinton did nothing, Bush two did nothing and neither did Obama. At least Trump is trying, especially with China. And I don't understand why liberals (the working man's friend) do not support this.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

In Obama's case, he knew jobs were leaving our shores and joked about how you would need a magic wand to bring them back.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Free trade does tend to turn jobs into a country's chief export.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I was watch this fellow on C-Span that past weekend who wrote a book on the economy. He was asked why CEO pay so outstripped the average wage over the last 30 years. One word, globalization. Of course if you can pay a worker one tenth of what you pay an American worker, with much lower regulation, the more profit for the companies, CEOs and owners. I'm a protectionist, I believe in protecting US jobs, as much as possible. Many may not like what Trump is trying to do (especially Wall Street) but at least he is trying. Bush one did nothing, Clinton did nothing, Bush two did nothing and neither did Obama. At least Trump is trying, especially with China. And I don't understand why liberals (the working man's friend) do not support this.
        Trump is so economically illiterate, he doesn't even know that the tariffs he's been imposing on Chinese goods are being paid by Americans, not China. A three-year old can try to fix a computer - but he'll probably only end up hitting it with his toy hammer.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Trump is so economically illiterate, he doesn't even know that the tariffs he's been imposing on Chinese goods are being paid by Americans, not China. A three-year old can try to fix a computer - but he'll probably only end up hitting it with his toy hammer.
          And your proof is apparently random commenters in a Twitter thread... yeah...

Comment

Trump, is not the one doing the actual negotiation Carp, and again at least he is trying to do something, we have new deals with South Korea, Canada/Mexico, and a tentative agreement with the EU.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              A tariff is a tax on imports and paid directly to the Treasury, Trump is correct here. But they often result in higher consumer costs for us, Carp is correct there.

Comment

No - the proof is Trump's own tweet...which repeats something he's now tweeted (and said) several times. Did you not follow the link?
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Trump, is not the one doing the actual negotiation Carp, and again at least he is trying to do something, we have new deals with South Korea, Canada/Mexico, and a tentative agreement with the EU.
                  My point stands...

Comment

My point stands...
                    What point? Let me repeat:A tariff is a tax on imports and paid directly to the Treasury, Trump is correct here. But they often result in higher consumer costs for us, Carp is correct there.

Comment

A tariff is a tax on imports and paid directly to the Treasury, Trump is correct here. But they often result in higher consumer costs for us, Carp is correct there.
                      An import tariff is a tax on imports paid directly to the treasury by the importer of the goods. It is not paid by the original manufacturer unless that manufacturer is also the importer of record. The impact on the original manufacturer is usually indirect: their product has a higher price and is therefore less attractive.

Because the importer pays the tax, they pass that on to the consumer in the form of higher prices. Ergo - an import tariff is a tax normally paid by Americans - not by the Chinese. The top U.S. importers include Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Dole, Samsung America, Family Dollar/Dollar Tree, LG Group, Philips, and IKEA.

Comment

What point? Let me repeat:A tariff is a tax on imports and paid directly to the Treasury, Trump is correct here. But they often result in higher consumer costs for us, Carp is correct there.
                        The point: that U.S. companies are paying the tax directly to the Treasury - not the Chinese. That is the lie Trump continually repeats - presumably because he knows at least some part of his base will accept it as true. That is one of his "art of the deal" techniques: repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth for a significant part of the listening audience.

And when the good cannot be secured elsewhere - or the good is still less expensive even WITH the tariff, the result is little/no impact on the manufacturer and higher costs to the consumer.

Comment

And the goal, of course, is that products "Proudly Made in the USA" will have a lower price tag and therefore be more attractive to consumers which will drive sales and US manufacturing.

Comment

No - the proof is Trump's own tweet...which repeats something he's now tweeted (and said) several times. Did you not follow the link?
                            Why you said:

"Trump doesn't know what he's doing."

What you meant:

"I disagree with what Trump is doing."

Comment

Why you said:

"Trump doesn't know what he's doing."

What you meant:

"I disagree with what Trump is doing."
                              No. The definition of who pays a tariff is clear. The person imposing them either doesn't know that, or is chronically lying. Neither is good.

Comment