Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Trade Deals...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Correct - it's not all about money (convenient of you to pull out that chestnut when it suits you ).
    I never once said it was, and I like roasted chestnuts!

But it is about whether or not the occupant of the White House is actually giving the American public the straight dope - and he generally is not. He's like the con artist that keeps your attention focused over there while he picks your pocket over here. There is little/no evidence that the "common man" has been systemically benefited. What evidence is presented is in the form of anecdotes or carefully cherry-picked data. And it is about the overall impact of his policies on the common man, and so far the data shows that Trump and the Republicans have disproportionately benefited the rich - largely at the expense of future generations. And why not? After all, as Trump notes - he'll be out of office by the time THAT becomes and problem - and those future generations are not objecting...right?
    There you go again...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Fox & Friends will be issuing new instructions to POTUS fairly soon.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        No doubt there will be short term pain, but the goal is a new trade deal that will be more advantageous for us. And no one is talking about the millions of manufacturing jobs lost because of these bad deals. Personally I would rather pay a little more if keeps my neighbor employed. Like you said Carp, it is not all about the money.
        Walmart used to pride itself on buying "Made in America". They even posted signs around their stores bragging about how many jobs were being sustained because they bought from American manufactures. Those signs started disappearing around the time Bill Clinton pulled his "most favored nation" nonsense with China.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          I never once said it was, and I like roasted chestnuts!

There you go again...
          Yeah... I know. I just cannot help myself. Undermining Trump's lies and poor policies has become something of a pass time.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Trump is so economically illiterate, he doesn't even know that the tariffs he's been imposing on Chinese goods are being paid by Americans, not China. A three-year old can try to fix a computer - but he'll probably only end up hitting it with his toy hammer.
            um the Tarriffs that we are imposing on China are paid by China. The tariffs that China imposes in return with be paid by Americans.

The tariffs on our exports would be paid by the Chinese. And the tariffs on goods made by China seny to us would be paid by us.

Just think of them as a tax added on to the price of the goods paid at the port of import.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              Fox & Friends will be issuing new instructions to POTUS fairly soon.
              You're just miffed he's not taking his instructions from Rachel instead, aren't you?
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                um the Tarriffs that we are imposing on China are paid by China. The tariffs that China imposes in return with be paid by Americans.

The tariffs on our exports would be paid by the Chinese. And the tariffs on goods made by China seny to us would be paid by us.

Just think of them as a tax added on to the price of the goods paid at the port of import.
                But it is importer who pays, not the exporter.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

This post appears to contradict itself. The tariffs Trump is imposing are import tariffs on goods made in China. They are paid for by the importer of record. The emphasized part of your post is correct. As far as I know, it is not possible to impose a tariff on a good that a foreign nation is required to pay (unless they are operating as an importer or exporter within a foreign nation - which I have never seen happen).

Import tariffs tax incoming goods from outside the U.S., export tariffs tax U.S. made goods leaving the country. Both tariffs are paid for by domestic importers/exporters, AFAIK.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

This post appears to contradict itself. The tariffs Trump is imposing are import tariffs on goods made in China. They are paid for by the importer of record. The emphasized part of your post is correct. As far as I know, it is not possible to impose a tariff on a good that a foreign nation is required to pay (unless they are operating as an importer or exporter within a foreign nation - which I have never seen happen).

Import tariffs tax incoming goods from outside the U.S., export tariffs tax U.S. made goods leaving the country. Both tariffs are paid for by domestic importers/exporters, AFAIK.
                    ah I didn't think it worked that way. I looked it up and you are right.

Comment

ah I didn't think it worked that way. I looked it up and you are right.
                      First, that's a gracious acknowledgement. Thank you.

Second, you're not alone in this. It is this confusion that Trump is playing on. Either that, or he too does not understand how it works.

Now if only more people would do what you just did - and verify how it actually works.

Comment

First, that's a gracious acknowledgement. Thank you.

Second, you're not alone in this. It is this confusion that Trump is playing on. Either that, or he too does not understand how it works.

Now if only more people would do what you just did - and verify how it actually works.
                        I was thinking the tariffs were imposed by a country on their exports, so for example, we would charge extra for coal we shipped to China meaning China would have to pay 25% extra for the coal.

Comment

I was thinking the tariffs were imposed by a country on their exports, so for example, we would charge extra for coal we shipped to China meaning China would have to pay 25% extra for the coal.
                          the export tariff - imposed by the country that the export goes from (I had missed that in your earlier post - Carpedm didn't)
                          the import tariff - imposed by the country that the import goes to.
                          Exports from China to America ... America charges an import tax (or not).
                          Exports from America to China ... America charges an export tax (or not).
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That is a pretty good description of an export tariff. But the tariff is imposed on OUR goods and paid for by our exporters. To cover that cost, they would probably increase the price of the good to the foreign country. That would have the effect of making the domestic product less attractive outside the country. They are commonly used for "base" products (e.g., natural materials, parts, etc.) to encourage companies to use those materials domestically to produce goods here. For example, if an export tariff was slapped on car seats and steering wheels but not cars, it would encourage companies to manufacture the cars domestically and then export them.

Import tariffs are used to make foreign goods appear less desirable to domestic consumers, which would hopefully drive domestic buyers to buy domestic products. They don't have that effect if a) the price of the goods is so low that, even with the tariff, the foreign good is still less expensive, or b) if there is not enough of the specific product produced domestically to meet the need. In either of those cases, all that results is an increased cost to the consumer. And industries that have largely moved offshore are going to have a limited motivation to spin up production domestically knowing that a tariff is a transient thing that can be reversed by the next office-holder.

Comment

trump-tweet-china-tariffs-may-12-v-2.jpg
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]37026[/ATTACH]
                                That doesn't change the falseness of the statement "China is paying the tariffs."

(and, again, so much for "I'm done" )

Comment