Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Obsessive-compulsive disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
    So you are deficient in at least one important vitamin? I wonder if it ends there for you? That's a rhetorical question, as per your request.

Finally, just a word on scrupulosity: Do not be too righteous, and do not act too wise; why should you destroy yourself? Do not be too wicked, and do not be a fool; why should you die before your time? It is good that you should take hold of the one, without letting go of the other; for the one who fears God shall succeed with both.
    Please leave.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Giving unsolicited medical advice is rude. (To be clear, my post was neither asking for nor offering any; I only wanted to describe how I've dealt with my own issue, and my mind is really unique so I doubt many other people would want to approach it the same way.)
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I don't know whether this counts as OCD but ever since my cat had a urinary tract infection and I saw him frantically digging holes in the garden and trying desperately and being unable to urinate, it triggered something in my mind and now three years later I have no peace of mind unless I witness him going to toilet at least three times a day! It has all but incapacitated me as far as leaving my home and having peace is concerned. I also feed him wet food four times a day and add as much water to it as possible to ensure he gets water as he refuses to drink even filter water. Grrr. He is btw healthy and has never in three years had a another bladder issue. I feel as if my whole life revolves around my cat. I experience relief and even euphoria if he is on track toilet and food wise. May the Lord have mercy on me as I know rationally how mad this is!

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
          I don't know whether this counts as OCD but ever since my cat had a urinary tract infection and I saw him frantically digging holes in the garden and trying desperately and being unable to urinate, it triggered something in my mind and now three years later I have no peace of mind unless I witness him going to toilet at least three times a day! It has all but incapacitated me as far as leaving my home and having peace is concerned. I also feed him wet food four times a day and add as much water to it as possible to ensure he gets water as he refuses to drink even filter water. Grrr. He is btw healthy and has never in three years had a another bladder issue. I feel as if my whole life revolves around my cat. I experience relief and even euphoria if he is on track toilet and food wise. May the Lord have mercy on me as I know rationally how mad this is!
          That sounds like a textbook case of OCD.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

This was really interesting to read about, especially with what you said about your symptoms and the neurochemistry of OCD. ADHD has some overlapping symptoms with OCD, but the neurochemistry is often opposite from OCD and they have some differing causes of compulsions that ADHD people might have (e.g. compulsive checking really does help prevent errors or forget to lock a car).

With regards to what you said about finding a therapist, their are some online therapy sites that include Christian therapists. That might be helpful if you have trouble finding an in-person one that fits well with you.

I hope you don't mind my adding, but if you ever do look into nutrition or supplements, I thought it was very interesting with regards to anxiety disorders that both serotonin and GABA affect anxiety. I found that fascinating when I was a bit panic-attacky this summer.
            I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              I take medication which does help, but I'm not currently in therapy. Finding a therapist for OCD is very hard, and it's even harder when you're religious.
              I realize that this is a bit of an older thread, but are you at all familiar with UCLA research psychiatrist Jeffrey Schwartz? His specialty is working in the field of neuroplasticity with OCD patients, and purportedly has had quite a bit of success. His book Brain Lock: Free Yourself from Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior was well reviewed on its release in 1997 (it's recently been updated), and as a Jewish convert to Christianity, who has presented at places like Biola's Table Talk and The Veritas Forum, he may lead you in the direction you're seeking.

I dated a girl who suffered from OCD (she was also hospitalized for eating disorder as well, which I don't think is wholly unrelated), and so seeing what she would go through every day was heartbreaking, and hard to live with, so I sympathize with those who suffer from this issue, but I believe good treatment and healing is available. Praying that the peace of God that surpasses all understanding guards your heart and mind.

Comment

Off-topic, but to what extent is this sub-forum related to personal problems? Would it be permissible for me, e.g., to start a thread telling some of my personal issues? Or that's not the point of the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                  Off-topic, but to what extent is this sub-forum related to personal problems? Would it be permissible for me, e.g., to start a thread telling some of my personal issues? Or that's not the point of the forum?
                  It's not against the rules to do so.

The forum is what you make it.

Comment