Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Early head and heart

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    Given that the video you linked indicated that organisms were doing pattern-based foraging in their environment in the Ediacaran, i'm wondering how you think they managed that a without a brain or any sensory systems?
    Oh, they had sensory systems for sure, but not much of a brain to speak of, according to the video.

Without looking it up, how long do you think the Ediacaran was? What fraction of that do we have signs of multicellular life from? And how well represented is the Ediacaran in the fossil record?
    I'll say 200 million years, I don't know what fraction of that we have signs of multicellular life from off the top of my head, and as I recall, there are several main sites for Ediacaran fossils, the Burgess Shale being one of them.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    OK, possibly, so what?!?!?! Moving the goal posts does not help your religious agenda. Will still have many millions years to evolve.
    The goalposts are the same, the time left for brains and cardiovascular systems to evolve, and substantially less time for this makes evolution more problematic.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    The goalposts are the same, the time left for brains and cardiovascular systems to evolve, and substantially less time for this makes evolution more problematic.

Blessings,
    Lee
    Not so, we have hundreds of millions of years. You not only have an agenda, but a poor sense of geologic time.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oh, they had sensory systems for sure, but not much of a brain to speak of, according to the video.
    It said roughly "no brains like today's brains", if i recall correctly. That does not mean "no brains". And, as Rogue said, where do you think the input from those sensory organs was going if not to a brain?

I'll say 200 million years, I don't know what fraction of that we have signs of multicellular life from off the top of my head, and as I recall, there are several main sites for Ediacaran fossils, the Burgess Shale being one of them.
    If you have no idea how much time there was (and your answers make clear you don't), how can you possibly say there wasn't much time for evolution to act?

Also, Burgess Shale was Cambrian.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

5. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Blessings,
    Lee
    Check your math. The Fuxianhuia is 520 million years ago, and the recent discovery of fungus 1000 to 900 million years ago.
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Blessings,
    Lee
    Actually they said that the brains were unlike what we see today which doesn't equate to having "not much of a brain to speak of." Anywho... The brain would still have to be at least sufficient for there to be sensory organs plugged into it and working.

And btw, the Burgess Shale is from the Middle Cambrian -- some 508 million years ago (mya) whereas the Ediacaran spans from 635 mya to 540 mya.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Actually they said that the brains were unlike what we see today which doesn't equate to having "not much of a brain to speak of."
    Well, she said "things that led to brains today".

The brain would still have to be at least sufficient for there to be sensory organs plugged into it and working.
    At least a central nervous system, I still don't know that we can speak of brains in the Ediacaran.

And btw, the Burgess Shale is from the Middle Cambrian -- some 508 million years ago (mya) whereas the Ediacaran spans from 635 mya to 540 mya.
    Yes, my memory was faulty.

Blessings,
    Lee

Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    At least a central nervous system, I still don't know that we can speak of brains in the Ediacaran.
    Given that this was pointed out to you a week ago, why did you keep saying "no brains" for the intervening week?

And, while we're at it, why did you keep saying that time was so short that it creates a problem when you had no idea how much time was involved?
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Blessings,
    Lee
    Explain substantially less time when we have at least 400 to 500 million years + since fungus existed.

Frank

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    Given that this was pointed out to you a week ago, why did you keep saying "no brains" for the intervening week?
    Well, you said the video was ambiguous on this point, I claim that "things that led to brains today" would not be a brain.

And, while we're at it, why did you keep saying that time was so short that it creates a problem when you had no idea how much time was involved?
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon
    Explain substantially less time when we have at least 400 to 500 million years + since fungus existed.
    I'm estimating from the end of the Ediacaran to the appearance of Fuxianhuia, so about 540 mya to 520 mya.

Blessings,
    Lee