Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Vitamin Shilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I thought things were finally going back the other way some for salt.
    Not really. Pretty much doctors tell people that they have too much salt in their diet. Mostly because processed food and restaurant food has a ton of salt in it. My doc tells me to try to stay under 2000 mg/day because I tend to retain water from some of my meds. The American Heart association recommends under 2,300 a day, and under 1,500 for most people. But that is pretty near impossible. Most people get over 4,000 a day just eating out or eating processed food. It's pretty hard to get less than 2000 a day unless you are very careful with your diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      When I was a kid, they scared us to death in school that we would get goiter if we didn't use iodized salt - and they showed us pictures of people with HUGE growths on their necks. I salted EVERYTHING!

When I was a teenager, I worked in a factory where they insisted you take salt tablets and drink water because it was hot and you'd be dehydrated.

So, what's the current scare? SALT WILL KILL YOU!!!!
      Then I had heard that the silica in salt can irritate the blood vessels.

I was told that I was deficient ... so I should have more salt.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        Then I had heard that the silica in salt can irritate the blood vessels.

I was told that I was deficient ... so I should have more salt.
        And Sea Salt is better than 'regular' salt, but Sherpa Pink Himalayan salt is even better... or less bad....

And let's not forget the dreaded Salt Sucking Monster from Planet M-113!!!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

i actually have to eat salt due to very low blood pressure. incidentally a lack of salt can trigger extreme hypotension severe leg cramps and swelling similar to too much salt.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            i actually have to eat salt due to very low blood pressure. incidentally a lack of salt can trigger extreme hypotension severe leg cramps and swelling similar to too much salt.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X