Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liberal Anti-Business Judge Kavanaugh?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    This is one of those "True but misleading" statistics. iPhone is the most popular single brand only because there is a huge variety of phones sold with Android, making it almost impossible for any single hardware manufacturer to dominate the Android market. However, Android is by far the world's most popular OS on smartphones by a huge margin.

http://techland.time.com/2013/04/16/ios-vs-android/

As for security risks to iPhone users if iOS were ever opened to other app sources, Apple could always leverage their considerable marketing expertise to educate customers that the Apple app store is the safest and only method guaranteed by Apple for installing software.
    You can already install third party software on your iphone by jailbreaking it. But it voids the warranty. That's all Apple has to do, is say fine, install what you want, but don't come crying to us if your phone gets malware or ransomware.

Department Head
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    I just read an exploit today in WhatsApp that even effects iOS so their guarantee is useless (full disclosure, I despise Apple's OS, and only use their products because my kids school insists they have an apple device)
    Nothing. I can install apps from other sources and install other market places on my Android phone.
    Because Apple has a monopoly over anyone locked into the Apple ecosystem. If you have spend hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars on software on iOS, you can't change to a different phone OS without losing them.
    It looks like he made a decision based on his understanding of the Law, which is what a Supreme Court Justice is meant to do. The idea that Judges should make their rulings based on the ideology of the President who appointed them is wrong.
    and since there are other options for, computers, smart phones, and tablets then Apple it is not considered a monopoly

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How does Apple make such a guarantee anyway? A lot of malware is created by "legitimate" developers and disgruntled ex-employees, in addition to the many other means of exploiting security weaknesses in smart phones. The more people using a product, the more interest there will be in infiltrating that product.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaC View Post
    How does Apple make such a guarantee anyway? A lot of malware is created by "legitimate" developers and disgruntled ex-employees, in addition to the many other means of exploiting security weaknesses in smart phones. The more people using a product, the more interest there will be in infiltrating that product.
    They don't make any guarantees. I think there have been some bad software that has gotten through. But it is pretty rare.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You can already install third party software on your iphone by jailbreaking it. But it voids the warranty. That's all Apple has to do, is say fine, install what you want, but don't come crying to us if your phone gets malware or ransomware.
    Android has a simple software switch that allows you to install apps from 3rd party sources, but it pops up all sorts of dire warnings when you use it. If Apple does that then they'll be fine, at least legally. From a consumer standpoint, though, they have done years of marketing/deception suggesting that their products "just work" and are impervious to viruses and other exploits, and their most faithful customers (that is to say people who think computers are magic and can't find the power button without detailed instructions) might ignore similar warnings thinking, "It's Apple! What could go wrong?"
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
    I think my source disagrees with your source.
    Your source would be wrong. Android based phones far out number Apple phones, just not from a single manufacturer.
    Android 74.85%
    iOS 22.94%
    http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...bile/worldwide

It's only in the US where iOS beats Android
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/i...share-3691861/
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info

"If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    Your source would be wrong. Android based phones far out number Apple phones, just not from a single manufacturer.
    Android 74.85%
    iOS 22.94%
    http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...bile/worldwide

It's only in the US where iOS beats Android
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/i...share-3691861/
    My source is indefatigable.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"