Thread: Patriarch Kirill

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Patriarch Kirill

Patriarch Kirill is on record stating that the future Antichrist:

- "..is a personality that will be at the head of the world wide web controlling the entire human race. Thus, the structure itself presents a danger...if we don’t want to bring the apocalypse closer, there should be no single [control and access] center".

He goes on to state that he is not entirely against smartphones, but warns against "falling into slavery" to them. Also, "location, interests and fears" will make it possible for humans to be controlled by external forces.

Now I believe there was recent rift between Patriarch Kirill/the Russian Orthodox church and the Patriarchate of Constantinople. However, my interest is in the eschatological remarks of Patriarch Kirill. So, can someone please inform me:

1) If Patriarch Kirills' comments are an accepted viewpoint in general among the Orthodox?

2) Are Russian Orthodox believers obligated to accept his view as he articulates it?

3) Is there a standard Eschatology in EO, or is there is a plurality of accepted viewpoints?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Scrawly; 05-13-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly View Post

- "..is a personality that will be at the head of the world wide web controlling the entire human race. Thus, the structure itself presents a danger...if we don’t want to bring the apocalypse closer, there should be no single [control and access] center".
    The entire structure of the internet and web preclude any one person controlling it. There is no single control or access center. Sounds like he doesn't understand the internet and is just creating some false scare prophesies to gain notoriety using popular cultur references.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The entire structure of the internet and web preclude any one person controlling it. There is no single control or access center. Sounds like he doesn't understand the internet and is just creating some false scare prophesies to gain notoriety using popular cultur references.
    To be fair, it's not made clear whether he believes the internet is already structured that way, or if he's warning that we shouldn't head towards such a configuration. Context would be helpful and none is provided.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

5. Amen One Bad Pig, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly View Post

He goes on to state that he is not entirely against smartphones, but warns against "falling into slavery" to them. Also, "location, interests and fears" will make it possible for humans to be controlled by external forces.
    I don't know that I entirely trust the accuracy of translations of cherry-picked quotes from a source which seems hostile to the Moscow administration. I agree that smartphones can be dangerously addictive.
    Now I believe there was recent rift between Patriarch Kirill/the Russian Orthodox church and the Patriarchate of Constantinople. However, my interest is in the eschatological remarks of Patriarch Kirill. So, can someone please inform me:

1) If Patriarch Kirills' comments are an accepted viewpoint in general among the Orthodox?
    Given it's the first time I've heard anything like this in 11 years, I'd lean toward "no".
    2) Are Russian Orthodox believers obligated to accept his view as he articulates it?
    Nope. Orthodox bishops are not popes.
    3) Is there a standard Eschatology in EO, or is there is a plurality of accepted viewpoints?

Thank you.
    In Eastern Orthodoxy, what is stressed is that we should be prepared for His return. How exactly it will happen is not especially important, though chiliasm (pre-mil) was condemned as heretical around the 4th century. The conquest of Jerusalem and destruction of the temple in AD 70 is widely held to have fulfilled eschatological prophecy, but as the general resurrection is universally held to be yet in the future, hyperpreterism is ruled out.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah, that was my thought. Those who seek to control it can, at best, close some on ramps.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Nope. Orthodox bishops are not popes.
    For that matter, if the pope were to make a comment like this in an interview, Catholics wouldn't be obligated to believe it. So much less an Orthodox patriarch who doesn't have that kind of authority.

In Eastern Orthodoxy, what is stressed is that we should be prepared for His return. How exactly it will happen is not especially important, though chiliasm (pre-mil) was condemned as heretical around the 4th century. The conquest of Jerusalem and destruction of the temple in AD 70 is widely held to have fulfilled eschatological prophecy, but as the general resurrection is universally held to be yet in the future, hyperpreterism is ruled out.
    When/where was it condemned? I looked it up and it seems like it lost a lot of popularity around that time, but not that it was really condemned by a council or anything. Or are you just referring to Augustine and Jerome's opposition?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, that was my thought. Those who seek to control it can, at best, close some on ramps.
    yeah that was kind of the whole point of the Darpanet that it was based on, a decentralized network that could survive even a nuclear war.

Of course now we have some backbone servers that would put a severe dent in the internet if someone were to take them down. And the nameservers. But it would be near impossible to take the whole thing down. or control it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraceth View Post
    When/where was it condemned? I looked it up and it seems like it lost a lot of popularity around that time, but not that it was really condemned by a council or anything. Or are you just referring to Augustine and Jerome's opposition?
    I'll have to look it up myself; it's certainly not just Augustine and Jerome's opposition, since they didn't have a whole lot of impact on the Eastern church.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    If you can get the major search engines on board, you can control things pretty well. China's internet is pretty well locked down, for example, and Google is pretty adept at burying sources they don't like, as has been shown here before.