Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama Abortion Ban:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    250 over 10 years is a whole lot less than the 10's of thousands dying in back alleys that the prochoice people pushed as a statistic and still do.
    Then if anyone here pushes that statistic, you should object.

But since no-one has, you're attacking a straw-man and giving the appearance of being unable to contest what was actually said.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

250 over 10 years is a whole lot less than the 10's of thousands dying in back alleys that the prochoice people pushed as a statistic and still do.
      The number you’re looking for is 2500 not 250.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        citation, please
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          citation, please
          There is a graph that I have seen in a couple of places showing data from the National Centre for Health Statistics. I have not tried to find the original graph or data thus far. Here is a link.
          https://realchoice.blogspot.com/2008...1950s.html?m=1
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            noted, thanks. But my point remains - medical procedures, even in hospitals, were more dangerous back then than now. And we still have numerous deaths from abortions today.

eta: your source sucks. It is made up by someone. try again.
            Last edited by Sparko; 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Yep -- and there are still deaths from LEGAL abortions even today. Mostly from hemorrhaging.
              There are I don't disagree with you here. The NIH did a study on Abortion related death and it seems to be 1/100,000 or 108 between 1988 and 2010. Its actually on par with the number of women who die from labor and delivery. Two outliers in the graph were that the deaths increased at later gestational age (18 weeks or later). and between 9 and 13 weeks. Technically it IS safer than illegal abortions however in 1972 (pre roe) the nuumber of illegal abortion deaths was 39 in the US. It looks like it was very high in the 1940's estimating in that decade the numbers are somewhere from 500-1000. (per the decade) However accurate data comes from hospital records and its VERY hard to obtain records. Planned Parenthood is guilty of inflating the numbers. The Washington Post published their exxaggeration as a false claim. HOWEVER it is safer to have access to a clean, sterile facility than if it was the "illegal" version. Which today is still illegal FYI. For this reason, I don't support making the procedure illegal. I support restrictions on it. And I support closing planned parenthood and other freestanding clinics and having it done via a hospital.
              Here's a paper on the issue https://www.grtl.org/docs/roevwade.pdf
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Meanwhile...

As the MSM trains all their focus on states that have passed "heartbeat laws" it appears that ABC, CBS, and NBC's TV news has not had the time to mention that yesterday Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker (D) signed a new abortion bill into law that is being called more radical than the one that New York passed back in January.

Source: Illinois Passes Abortion Bill More Extreme Than New York's

As expected, the Illinois Senate voted 34-20 on Friday to pass a bill that is even more extreme than New York's infanticide law. The "Reproductive Health Act" repeals the state's ban on partial-birth abortion, allowing abortions through nine months, and requires insurance companies to provide coverage.

Democrat Governor J.B. Pritzker who has campaigned to make Illinois the most progressive state in the country for abortion hugged and congratulated supporters of the bill on the Senate floor after the vote. Pritzker has vowed to sign it into law.

As CBN News reported, the bill known as the "Reproductive Health Act" is more extreme than the bill passed in New York earlier this year and would make Illinois "an abortion destination" for the entire country. Abortions would be allowed for any reason and at any time during pregnancy.

Among other provisions, the amended bill requires private health insurance companies that cover pregnancy-related benefits to cover abortions – even late-term abortions.

There are no abortion coverage exemptions for churches, religious nonprofits, or pro-life individuals and small business owners.

The bill even strikes current law that protects parents from having to pay for a child's abortion when performed without parental consent.

Democrat state Rep. Kelly Cassidy, the bill's sponsor, said, "This is treating abortion care like any other health care."

"These are horrific days when Illinois lawmakers celebrate eliminating all protections for unborn children, allowing infanticide, removing conscience protection laws for health care workers, and allowing minors to freely obtain abortions without parental notification," Liberty Counsel Founder and Chairman Mat Staver said in a press release. "This has nothing to do with health care. This a crime against humanity. Yet tragically, Governor Pritzker brags about it."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Woah to those who call evil good.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Meanwhile...

As the MSM trains all their focus on states that have passed "heartbeat laws" it appears that ABC, CBS, and NBC's TV news has not had the time to mention that yesterday Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker (D) signed a new abortion bill into law that is being called more radical than the one that New York passed back in January.

Source: Illinois Passes Abortion Bill More Extreme Than New York's

As expected, the Illinois Senate voted 34-20 on Friday to pass a bill that is even more extreme than New York's infanticide law. The "Reproductive Health Act" repeals the state's ban on partial-birth abortion, allowing abortions through nine months, and requires insurance companies to provide coverage.

Democrat Governor J.B. Pritzker who has campaigned to make Illinois the most progressive state in the country for abortion hugged and congratulated supporters of the bill on the Senate floor after the vote. Pritzker has vowed to sign it into law.

As CBN News reported, the bill known as the "Reproductive Health Act" is more extreme than the bill passed in New York earlier this year and would make Illinois "an abortion destination" for the entire country. Abortions would be allowed for any reason and at any time during pregnancy.

Among other provisions, the amended bill requires private health insurance companies that cover pregnancy-related benefits to cover abortions – even late-term abortions.

There are no abortion coverage exemptions for churches, religious nonprofits, or pro-life individuals and small business owners.

The bill even strikes current law that protects parents from having to pay for a child's abortion when performed without parental consent.

Democrat state Rep. Kelly Cassidy, the bill's sponsor, said, "This is treating abortion care like any other health care."

"These are horrific days when Illinois lawmakers celebrate eliminating all protections for unborn children, allowing infanticide, removing conscience protection laws for health care workers, and allowing minors to freely obtain abortions without parental notification," Liberty Counsel Founder and Chairman Mat Staver said in a press release. "This has nothing to do with health care. This a crime against humanity. Yet tragically, Governor Pritzker brags about it."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I don't think insurance should be required to provide coverage. There are some extreme (re: super rare) circumstances where it could be deemed necessary but requiring them to provide coverage isn't good.
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Gee maybe Hollywood can move all of their Georgia productions there now.

Comment

• The law is back in the news again because a woman has been charged with manslaughter after miscarrying. She got into a gunfight and prosecutors are saying she started the fight; therefore she is responsible for the miscarriage.

I think charging her with manslaughter is a real stretch. However, people are going crazy saying this is due to the abortion law. One problem... the law hasn't even taken effect yet. This has literally nothing to do with the law.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ying-when-shot
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• If the baby had been in a car seat and hit with a stray bullet, what would happen? And why was a pregnant woman in a gun fight?
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                            If the baby had been in a car seat and hit with a stray bullet, what would happen?
                            The term "stray bullet" implies the person shot is a completely innocent bystander, which this woman wasn't. So she wouldn't be charged in that case.

(I really do think it's a mistake to charge her in this case, though.)
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              The term "stray bullet" implies the person shot is a completely innocent bystander, which this woman wasn't. So she wouldn't be charged in that case.

(I really do think it's a mistake to charge her in this case, though.)
                              Why? What if the person she was fighting with shot her and killed her baby? Then it would have been charged as manslaughter, so why not if she did it?

This kind of reminds me of the situation in the bible Ex 21:22

Comment

Why? What if the person she was fighting with shot her and killed her baby? Then it would have been charged as manslaughter, so why not if she did it?

This kind of reminds me of the situation in the bible Ex 21:22
                                Because she didn't do it; she wasn't the one who fired the gun. It sets a bad precedent to charge women who miscarry for doing things that indirectly lead to it. Strenuous exercise can lead to a miscarriage, so using the same logic, you could charge somebody for participating in sports while pregnant.

Comment