Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama Abortion Ban:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Please provide quotes that can be reasonably inferred as suggesting that, because you're inventing subtext out of whole cloth that simply isn't there.
    The point is that I can't seem to provide quotes among the posts in question that show any compassion.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Yep - I can always count on your capacity to process arguments beyond the 4th grade level with maturity and depth of understanding.

Jim
      No, I described what you're doing in this thread perfectly. Regardless of what other arguments you're providing in this thread it is undisputable fact that you've been unjustifiably accusing people who disagree with you in this thread as lacking in empathy and compassion for people who have been raped, for the sole reason that they don't agree with whether the unborn child should be protected from the consequences of what it's father has done.

EDIT: Phrasing.
      Last edited by JonathanL; 05-17-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
        It has been my opinion for some 40 years now. I review it from time to time, because I'm not comfortable with it - but no better resolution seems to be on offer.
        yes - exactly - again - thank you! I am not 'comfortable' with it either. It is a rock and a hard place thing.

If we ever get to the point that we can take an early stage embryo and bring it to term artificially, or just transfer it to a willing host, there will be a better solution. But now this is what it is. The only way, in some cases, to save the life of the resultant child is to sacrifice one way or the other the woman herself. And when those are the options, I believe she should have to right to save her own life.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          Actually, this thread has made me wonder about that. There seems to be a complete lack of empathy for rape victims among a number of posters here. Apparently, if a poor teenage rape victim decides to keep her child, well, she'd better take good care of her baby... or else. No sympathy, no helping hand. She's just another one of those impoverished single mothers, right? She should have known better than to get pregnant in the first place. No responsibility for the rapist, it's all on her.
          I have no idea where you would get that impression. No one here has said anything remotely resembling that. I am all for supporting crisis pregnancy centers which supply as much support as the expectant woman is willing to take. I am all for putting the baby up for adoption once it is born. I am all for forcing the rapist to make child support payments regardless if the baby is kept or put up for adoption.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The point is that I can't seem to provide quotes among the posts in question that show any compassion.
            The compassion is there - but it doesn't show through the base line. Simple fact is that compassion for the baby and compassion for the mother aren't exactly compatible.
            Moreover - when a woman has been gulled by "the sweet-to-the-mouth" story that results in death of the baby, there is likely to be no repairing the "bitter-to-the-stomach" aftermath.

MossRose's narrative shows well enough what can happen.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So, given an absence of data, you'll assume the worst?
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I have no idea where you would get that impression. No one here has said anything remotely resembling that. I am all for supporting crisis pregnancy centers which supply as much support as the expectant woman is willing to take. I am all for putting the baby up for adoption once it is born. I am all for forcing the rapist to make child support payments regardless if the baby is kept or put up for adoption.
                And making sure the rapist has no claim to the child.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  Simple fact is that compassion for the baby and compassion for the mother aren't exactly compatible.
                  I disagree. Assisting the mother in her undesired condition is showing compassion for both.

sigpic

Comment

I am all for supporting crisis pregnancy centers which supply as much support as the expectant woman is willing to take. I am all for putting the baby up for adoption once it is born. I am all for forcing the rapist to make child support payments regardless if the baby is kept or put up for adoption.
                    Thanks for that, OBP!
                    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                      No, I described what you're doing in this thread perfectly. Regardless of what other arguments you're providing in this thread it is undisputable fact that you've been unjustifiably accusing people who disagree with you in this thread as lacking in empathy and compassion for people who have been raped, for the sole reason that they don't agree with whether the unborn child should be protected from the consequences of what it's father has done.

EDIT: Phrasing.
                      No - the people I am addressing as lacking empathy are willing to put the full burden of bearing this child upon her against her will. No matter what her trauma, no matter what her mental state. And not once have they shown real compassion for her or recognized that the rapist owns these consequences - not her. Any stated recognition of her suffering is ALWAYS followed by "But ...". And not even partially have they been willing to lay blame on the rapist for the possibility the only way to save the mother might be an abortion! Nope, no matter what her distress, SHE is guilty. And that is simply the FACT of how each post has been structured and its content. And that is, in fact, showing no empathy or compassion for the woman who was raped. The ones I've called out - it is not a matter of characterizing them negatively because they don't agree with me. It is just a simple fact that they can't muster any sort of actual compassion for this rape VICTIM. And I only have called them out after post after post after post trying to help them see her as a VICTIM. They can't.

Case in point - I quote the rape victim that suffered PTSD and deep depression to the point of the possibility of suicide - MM BLAMES HER, SAYS SHE MUST HAVE MADE IT UP!

No - there has been no compassion here in this thread for the rape victim from the people I've called out for a lack of empathy. Now that the point has been made, there do appear to be attempts to fix that - but it's a bit hollow after the fact ...

Jim
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-17-2019, 11:20 AM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I disagree. Assisting the mother in her undesired condition is showing compassion for both.
                        I omitted "sometimes" in that comment. But I think the follow up would have made it apparent that it was intended.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

No - the people I am addressing as lacking empathy are willing to put the full burden of bearing this child upon her against her will. No matter what her trauma, not matter what her mental state. And not once have they shown compassion for her or recognized that the rapist owns these consequences - not her. Not even partially have they been willing to lay blame on the rapist for the possibility the only way to save the mother is an abortion! And that is simply a FACT. And that is, in fact, showing no empathy or compassion for the woman who was raped. It is not a matter of characterizing anyone negatively because they don't agree with me. It is just a simple fact.

Jim
                          I haven't seen a single person in this thread that holds to the position you describe above. You're making stuff up out of thin air.

Comment

I would suggest you're experiencing confirmation bias.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                              I haven't seen a single person in this thread that holds to the position you describe above. You're making stuff up out of thin air.
                              I've seen--in this thread and elsewhere--numerous people talk about the support they'd be willing to give. These claims that the pro-lifers are making her do it on her own or putting the full burden on her are flat-out dishonest.

If a rape victim needed help, I'd offer money (as much as I can). I'd even--although there would be logistical issues, of course--offer housing, food, diapers, you name it.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

No - the people I am addressing as lacking empathy are willing to put the full burden of bearing this child upon her against her will. No matter what her trauma, not matter what her mental state. And not once have they shown compassion for her or recognized that the rapist owns these consequences - not her. Not even partially have they been willing to lay blame on the rapist for the possibility the only way to save the mother is an abortion! And that is simply a FACT. And that is, in fact, showing no empathy or compassion for the woman who was raped. It is not a matter of characterizing anyone negatively because they don't agree with me. It is just a simple fact.

Jim
                                Any disagreement would arise over the idea that abortion is a good go-to proposition. There remains the fact that the woman has a further threat from abortion in the remorse that often follows - and usually will when "counselling" doesn't detail all the options. No compassion is provided when "counselling" is a euphemism for persuasion.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment