Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama Abortion Ban:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That, sir, is a dodge worthy of JimL.

To me that is a tacit acknowledgment that I and MM are right. You have no way to claim that it is OK for a rape victim to abort her baby but not any other woman, if you are basing your argument on your reading of Exodus.

Dodge?

Take a clue from Chrawnus and Adrift. Their last two posts are excellent and I will need to think them through. But I will give a response worthy of their effort and lack of acrimony.

(Adrift/Chrawnus - what you have written will require some time to digest and respond - I won't get to it till later today most likely - work and all ...)

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Dodge?

Take a clue from Chrawnus and Adrift. Their last two posts are excellent and I will need to think them through. But I will give a response worthy of their effort and lack of acrimony.

(Adrift/Chrawnus - what you have written will require some time to digest and respond - I won't get to it till later today most likely - work and all ...)

Jim
      MM asked you to support your argument and you said for him to do it himself and you can't be bothered. That is how JimL responds when asked to support his arguments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        MM asked you to support your argument and you said for him to do it himself and you can't be bothered. That is how JimL responds when asked to support his arguments.
        Err - no. He asked me to give him a summary of Augustine's arguments in a context that quite clearly had little if anything to do with actually wanting to know what they were. I've been down enough of his "I was just pulling your chain to see what you were going to do" rabbit trails to know I wasn't following him down that trail.

Not only that, I DID in fact give him a quick summary of my own take on these arguments IN THE PART OF MY POST HE CUT OUT OF HIS REPLY.

Do you have any capacity left to look at my posts objectively Sparko?

As for MM, Fool me once - shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Jim
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-21-2019, 01:39 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• What Jim is saying is that I've knocked the legs out from under him enough times that he gets a little gun shy when I'm around.

If he really wanted to engage me, he could have reread my posts and answered the questions that he (I suspect deliberately) missed.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            What Jim is saying is that I've knocked the legs out from under him enough times that he gets a little gun shy when I'm around.

If he really wanted to engage me, he could have reread my posts and answered the questions that he (I suspect deliberately) missed.
            You have actually said after purposefully pretending to want to argue some element of a discussion that you were yanking my chain and just wanted to see what I would do.

Jim

Comment

You have actually said after purposefully pretending to want to argue some element of a discussion that you were yanking my chain and just wanted to see what I would do.

Jim
              I what? Which post was this? I didn't say anything like that in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                I what? Which post was this? I didn't say anything like that in this thread.
                Did i say it was this thread. Look, I had every intention of answering the post you are going on about - until you started getting all snitty about it. You cant spit on people post after post and expect that no matter what they are somehow obligated to you just because you asked a legitimate question. I have the right if you are acting like a jerk to blow you off. It's a shame too, because it was one of the best replies in this thead and I just needed some time to put together a reasonable answer to it.

Jim

Comment

Did i say it was this thread. Look, I had every intention of answering the post you are going on about - until you started getting all snitty about it. You cant spit on people post after post and expect that no matter what they are somehow obligated to you just because you asked a legitimate question. I have the right if you are acting like a jerk to blow you off. It's a shame too, because it was one of the best replies in this thead and I just needed some time to put together a reasonable answer to it.

Jim
                  Such thin skin you have.

It's not for my benefit that you might want to consider addressing the points I raised. If you want to leave the impression that you can't then that's on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    Why is incest such a commonly suggested exception for abortion anyway? I understand the reasoning for the rape exception, even if I don't necessarily agree with it, but incest as an exception seems almost random.
                    One reason is that it greatly increases the possibility of having multiple copies of harmful recessive mutations.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      One reason is that it greatly increases the possibility of having multiple copies of harmful recessive mutations.
                      What if the woman relative is infertile or has a hysterectomy?
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                        Maternity leave is only about six weeks. Gestation isn't even a whole year. Where are you getting "a year at least" from? And I and others have already said, the rapist should be the one to pay her medical bills. He should also pay everything else that results from the pregnancy, including whatever percentage of her salary her employer doesn't pay whilst she's on maternity leave.
                        What if he isn't caught?
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          What if the woman relative is infertile or has a hysterectomy?
                          Then the situation would never arise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            What if he isn't caught?
                            We shouldn't lock up murderers either, because not all of them are caught.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Conceived in rape, former Miss Pennsylvania shares why every human life deserves protection

When former Miss Pennsylvania, Valerie Gatto, was in third grade, she found out the difficult truth that she had been conceived when her mother was raped at knifepoint.

Gatto’s mother was only 19 years old when the attack occurred. Her assailant had plans to murder her as well, but says those plans were thwarted when a bright light from an unknown source appeared. This light gave Gatto’s mother the ability to get up and run away before he could do further harm to her. Gatto says, “I like to think of that light as my mother’s and (my) guardian angel.”

In an interview with the Pittsburgh Tribune Review, Gatto says her mother always told her, “I was her light.”

Soon after the attack, Gatto’s mother discovered she was pregnant. According to an interview with Gatto for CBS Pittsburgh, her mother never considered abortion.

She did have plans to put her daughter up for adoption, hoping she could be given a more stable life elsewhere. But, after Gatto was born, her grandmother reminded her daughter that God does not give us more than we can handle. She convinced Gatto’s mother to raise her little girl herself.

Thus, at 20 years of age, Gatto’s mother lay aside plans to attend law school in order to raise her daughter. Gatto grew up living with her mother and maternal grandparents in a stable, loving home. She says she never felt as though her mother regretted her decision to keep her.

Gatto was raised going to church each Sunday and, as a result, faith became an important part of her life. According the Gatto’s website, her mother was put in charge of the food pantry at their church, delivering food baskets for those in need. She would bring Gatto with her and this service driven life encouraged Valerie to volunteer in various capacities as well.

She became involved in projects such as clothing drives, giving gifts to children in hospital care, and Operation Dear Abby, which gives cards to U.S. military members stationed overseas. Gatto says she has learned to live her life “looking at how to turn a negative into a positive.”

Gatto went on to pursue higher education and graduated with honors from the University of Pittsburgh. Since then, she has continued serving in various capacities around her community such as helping at a local food bank and donating clothes to an organization that empowers women.

Additionally, her mother’s story of rape and survival has given her a deep desire to help other women learn how to protect themselves from sexual assault. “I hope to make a difference and shed a light on sexual assault and rape for young women,” Gatto says.

As she anticipates using her platform to inspire many with her life and story, Gatto firmly believes God has put her on this earth for a special reason. “I knew God put me here for a purpose, and he’s the reason my mother and I were saved,“ she says. “I want to do him proud and my family proud. If I did just sit there and think, ‘Why did this happen?’ or ‘Does my father know I exist?’ and be scared and let the fear of the unknown stop me, I wouldn’t be living my life. He put me here to do great things, and I’m not going to let that stop me.”
                              https://www.liveaction.org/news/conc...es-protection/

Comment

• It seems that Planned Parenthood and the ACLU are giving Alabama exactly what it wants: a court challenge that is the first step to this going all the way to the Supreme Court

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-abortion-law/

Comment