Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama Abortion Ban:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alabama Abortion Ban:

Some good news!

Alabama abortion ban: Nation’s strictest abortion bill passes; no rape, incest exceptions

After several hours of contentious debate, the Alabama Senate on Tuesday night voted 25-6 to pass what many say will be the strictest abortion ban in the nation. The bill makes abortion a felony in Alabama. A similar measure already passed the Republican-controlled House but controversy erupted last week in the Senate after an attempt to add amendments that would allow exceptions for victims of rape or incest. Another attempt to add rape and incest exceptions on Tuesday also failed and led to a filibuster attempt. Proponents of the measure pushed for a “clean bill” without amendments in order to clear the way to a legal fight in the U.S. Supreme Court and a review of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that legalized abortion. The bill now goes to Gov. Kay Ivey, who will decide whether to sign it into law.

https://www.al.com/news/de8b00-alaba...tion-bill.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Maybe there will be more goofballs deciding not to have sex until they have control of their own bodies because of this.

Let's hope!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      Maybe there will be more goofballs deciding not to have sex until they have control of their own bodies because of this.

Let's hope!
      Maybe then they'll realise what "control over their own bodies" really means?

Naah ... never happen
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Alabama votes to BAN nearly all abortions including in rape and incest and jail docs for 99 years for performing them

The US state's governor will make the final call on bringing the law into force

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/907782...-incest-cases/
        Last edited by seer; 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Maybe then they'll realise what "control over their own bodies" really means?

Naah ... never happen
          Yup. They're too stupid. And don't forget, they're stupid.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Some good news!
            Although I understand why they might have thought it made sense, I tend to think the lack of an exception for rape and incest is over the top. We have laws that allow a rapist to demand parental rights after the fact. Not so sure it makes sense to force a woman that conceived due to rape to have to endure a lifetime of continuous rape (though his exercise of control over her life and the life of the child) by that person once they get out of prison. Incest is a very odd situation to start with, but again, the lack of an exception is forcing the victim to continue to be a victim for their entire life.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Some good news!
              Although I understand why they might have thought it made sense, I tend to think the lack of an exception for rape and incest is over the top. We have laws that allow a rapist to demand parental rights after the fact. Not so sure it makes sense to force a woman that conceived due to rape to have to endure a lifetime of continuous rape (though his exercise of control over her life and the life of the child) by that person once they get out of prison. Incest is a very odd situation to start with, but again, the lack of an exception is forcing the victim to continue to be victimized by the perpetrator for their entire life. An abortion in these cases is not far from the exception allowed, risk of serious harm or death to the mother.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                Although I understand why they might have thought it made sense, I tend to think the lack of an exception for rape and incest is over the top. We have laws that allow a rapist to demand parental rights after the fact. Not so sure it makes sense to force a woman that conceived due to rape to have to endure a lifetime of continuous rape (though his exercise of control over her life and the life of the child) by that person once they get out of prison. Incest is a very odd situation to start with, but again, the lack of an exception is forcing the victim to continue to be victimized by the perpetrator for their entire life. An abortion in these cases is not far from the exception allowed, risk of serious harm or death to the mother.

Jim
                I think this is written to be consistent. If the unborn is a human being, no matter how it was conceived, it should have status under the law.

Comment

Doesn't Roe vs Wade override this though?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    Perhaps not. They haven't banned abortion, just banned abortion after six weeks.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      From what I am reading they wrote this to directly challenge Roe in the Supreme Court.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        Although I understand why they might have thought it made sense, I tend to think the lack of an exception for rape and incest is over the top. We have laws that allow a rapist to demand parental rights after the fact. Not so sure it makes sense to force a woman that conceived due to rape to have to endure a lifetime of continuous rape (though his exercise of control over her life and the life of the child) by that person once they get out of prison. Incest is a very odd situation to start with, but again, the lack of an exception is forcing the victim to continue to be a victim for their entire life.

Jim
                        The obvious solution is a law stating that any man convicted of rape or incest loses all parental rights to any child that might result from his crime.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          Perhaps not. They haven't banned abortion, just banned abortion after six weeks.
                          No, there is no six week exception:

Alabama is the only state with a near-total abortion ban bill pending or already on the books. While other states are pushing for abortion bans after six weeks, also known as “heartbeat bills,” Alabama is pushing for a total abortion ban without exception. A spokesperson for Planned Parenthood Southeast Advocates told AL.com this bill would likely be the most extreme abortion ban, if signed into law, post Roe v. Wade.

https://www.al.com/reckon/2019/05/an...-ban-bill.html
                          This is a seriously bold move...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            The obvious solution is a law stating that any man convicted of rape or incest loses all parental rights to any child that might result from his crime.
                            And castrate him in the process...

Comment

No, there is no six week exception:

This is a seriously bold move...
                              If there are no exception clauses, it is a bad law.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment