Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alabama Abortion Ban:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    Simple fact is that compassion for the baby and compassion for the mother aren't exactly compatible.
    What?!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      What?!
      Simple fact is that compassion for the baby and compassion for the mother [sometimes] aren't exactly compatible.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Case in point. The case where I quote the rape victim that suffered PTSD and deep depression to the point of the possibility of suicide - MM BLAMES HER, SAYS SHE MADE IT UP!
        False. What I actually said:

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I do wonder how many of these "positive" abortion stories are from women who escape the horror of what they've really done by convincing themselves that "I wouldn't be alive today if I hadn't gotten an abortion." A lot of these women might have made a different decision with proper education and counseling grounded in truth and love.

Comment

Simple fact is that compassion for the baby and compassion for the mother [sometimes] aren't exactly compatible.
          I disagree, even with your addition. It is more compassionate to support the mother in order for her to carry the baby to term than to make her complicit in terminating it.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I disagree. Assisting the mother in her undesired condition is showing compassion for both.
            Depends doesn't it, on whether the mother is capable of bearing the baby to term. Would your counseling be able to recognize someone who was not, who might commit suicide, who was so traumatized, so overwhelmed she'd never make it to the birth? Or would you abandon her if she just felt she had no choice but to end the pregnancy?

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I disagree, even with your addition. It is more compassionate to support the mother in order for her to carry the baby to term than to make her complicit in terminating it.
              Maybe my expectation was naive, that the other posts I made would have clarified my position as being in line with yours.

ETA
              or rather, to give her a real chance to choose carrying the baby to term.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I don't think it's compassionate on any level to allow a woman who had evil committed against her to commit an evil against the unborn child. I keep thinking of the Bible verse that says we should not respond to evil with evil.

Comment

• It seems that there is an underlying message in scripture to the effect that you can't legislate people into accepting Christian precepts: you can legislate them into compliance with any number of things - but the key to success is to make compliance a willing choice, not an imposition.
                  You could tie a rapist up and make sure he never gets the chance to commit rape, but that won't stop him being a rapist.
                  You can make laws to prevent people performing abortions - but past experience shows that
                  oh dear - I'm arguing toward the "prohibition doesn't work" line (so favoured by some who post here)
                  the outcomes are little, if any, better than allowing abortion.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Depends doesn't it, on whether the mother is capable of bearing the baby to term. Would your counseling be able to recognize someone who was not, who might commit suicide, who was so traumatized, so overwhelmed she'd never make it to the birth?
                    Having an abortion would be further trauma, Jim. That's only going to make things worse for her mental state.
                    Or would you abandon her if she just felt she had no choice but to end the pregnancy?

Jim
                    What? If all else failed, I'd refer her to Rachel's Vineyard or some other service which supports those who have had abortions. I'd do my best to provide support and encourage her to at least carry it to the point of viability and as far as possible beyond that - at which point the baby could be born early and still survive. If it came down to it, I'd even offer to adopt the baby myself.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Maybe my expectation was naive, that the other posts I made would have clarified my position as being in line with yours.
                      Your other posts may be in line with mine, but I'd disagree that this particular point was.

sigpic

Comment

It seems that there is an underlying message in scripture to the effect that you can't legislate people into accepting Christian precepts: you can legislate them into compliance with any number of things - but the key to success is to make compliance a willing choice, not an imposition.
                        You could tie a rapist up and make sure he never gets the chance to commit rape, but that won't stop him being a rapist.
                        You can make laws to prevent people performing abortions - but past experience shows that
                        oh dear - I'm arguing toward the "prohibition doesn't work" line (so favoured by some who post here)
                        It's why John Adams famously said that our Constitution is only suitable for governing a moral and religious people.

Comment

It seems that there is an underlying message in scripture to the effect that you can't legislate people into accepting Christian precepts: you can legislate them into compliance with any number of things - but the key to success is to make compliance a willing choice, not an imposition.
                          Maybe we shouldn't prohibit murder or theft, then, because complying with the prohibition would be a Christian imposition, not a choice.

sigpic

Comment

Having an abortion would be further trauma, Jim. That's only going to make things worse for her mental state.
                            It didn't do that to the women I quoted above.

So - if that is the always the case, then why not just let women whose lives are threatened by the pregnancy just die? I mean, the rest of their lives they are just going to feel guilty and suffer immeasurable guilt - right? And the obvious answer is no they won't, because they realize they really had no choice. So clearly, a women that believes she really has no other viable choice is not going to suffer guilt forever.

What? If all else failed, I'd refer her to Rachel's Vineyard or some other service which supports those who have had abortions. I'd do my best to provide support and encourage her to at least carry it to the point of viability and as far as possible beyond that - at which point the baby could be born early and still survive. If it came down to it, I'd even offer to adopt the baby myself.
                            That is good, and noble OBP. And I believe you would - I do not doubt your sincerity or willingness to sacrifice.

What if by pushing for that viability outcome she kills herself (and the baby) in despair? It could very easily happen under the PTSD/deep despair conditions of the women quoted above. Is it her fault? Is that better than her aborting the baby early on?

Jim
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So - if that is the always the case, then why not just let women whose lives are threatened by the pregnancy just die? I mean, the rest of their lives they are just going to feel guilty and suffer immeasurable guilt - right? And the obvious answer is no they won't, because they realize they really had no choice. So clearly, a women that believes she really has no other viable choice is not going to suffer guilt forever.
                              You realize you're arguing from a hypothetical here, right? You don't know if she would have been better off if she'd had the baby. I know for certain that the baby would be better off.
                              That is good, and noble OBP. And I believe you would - I do not doubt your sincerity or willingness to sacrifice.

What if by pushing for that viability outcome she kills herself (and the baby) in despair? It could very easily happen under the PTSD/deep despair conditions of the women quoted above. Is it her fault? Is that better than her aborting the baby early on?

Jim
                              You're not paying attention to what I'm saying, Jim. Let me say it again, in larger letters. Abortion itself is a traumatic experience. If she's that likely to kill herself, abortion is exceedingly unlikely to make matters better for her mental state.

sigpic

Comment

you keep avoiding the point I made earlier that the same circumstances can occur with women who were not raped and don't want to be pregnant. Yet you said earlier that because the pregnancy was due to consensual sex, they should have to bear the burden. Even if they claim they are suicidal?

Comment