Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Favorite Apologetic Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Apologetic Books

Just thought I would share a few Apologetic Books that I enjoy Reading since its an area of interest for me. Let me know some of your favorites

1. Always Ready- Greg Bahnsen
    2. The Last Superstition- Edward Feser
    3. True Reason Confronting the Irrationality of the New Atheism-Tom Gilson
    4. Ayn Rand The Closing of Her System- John Robbins
    5. On Guard- William Lane Craig
    6. Apologetics Justification For Christian Belief- John Frame
    7. Shattering The Christ Myth- JP Holding

Scaling the Secular City by J.P. Moreland is one of the first books on apologetics that I ever read, and is still one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      Scaling the Secular City by J.P. Moreland is one of the first books on apologetics that I ever read, and is still one of my favorites.
      I have heard good things about that book, though when he gets into Dualism It throws me off with some of the language.

Comment

I enjoyed reading Van Til's Apologetics, by Bahnsen, umpteen years ago. There was much I couldn't quite grasp but I did get an expectation that arguments could be formed in defense of God and Christianity. Also, I got better understanding of the goals of non-Christian philosophers; they have had to try explaining the world apart from its Creator.

One area that seemed incomplete was the grounds for developing a Christian philosophy beyond what is outlined in scripture. Thus, Van Til's reliance on the Reformed philosophy seemed a bit shaky as a foundation for presuppositional apologetics. I might be able to find good basis for correlation (of such philosophy with scripture) nowadays -- but I haven't investigated that proposition.

It was unexpected to find some Van Til enthusiasts who found Bahnsen to be incorrect on his interpretation of Van Til.

Comment

If I can mention a popular book, I think Blomberg's Can We Still Believe in the Bible is excellent.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

No C.S. Lewis? I'll mention Mere Christianity, which helped me a great deal.

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview by Moreland and Craig is great for those who want a philosophical examination and defense of Christian belief.

Also CS Lewis' other books are well worth reading - Miracles is superb, for example.

Feser's The Last Superstition is excellent, also highly recommend his Aquinas - a beginner's guide
              ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X