Thread: Favorite Apologetic Books

Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Favorite Apologetic Books

Just thought I would share a few Apologetic Books that I enjoy Reading since its an area of interest for me. Let me know some of your favorites

1. Always Ready- Greg Bahnsen
    2. The Last Superstition- Edward Feser
    3. True Reason Confronting the Irrationality of the New Atheism-Tom Gilson
    4. Ayn Rand The Closing of Her System- John Robbins
    5. On Guard- William Lane Craig
    6. Apologetics Justification For Christian Belief- John Frame
    7. Shattering The Christ Myth- JP Holding

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Scaling the Secular City by J.P. Moreland is one of the first books on apologetics that I ever read, and is still one of my favorites.

Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Scaling the Secular City by J.P. Moreland is one of the first books on apologetics that I ever read, and is still one of my favorites.
    I have heard good things about that book, though when he gets into Dualism It throws me off with some of the language.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I enjoyed reading Van Til's Apologetics, by Bahnsen, umpteen years ago. There was much I couldn't quite grasp but I did get an expectation that arguments could be formed in defense of God and Christianity. Also, I got better understanding of the goals of non-Christian philosophers; they have had to try explaining the world apart from its Creator.

One area that seemed incomplete was the grounds for developing a Christian philosophy beyond what is outlined in scripture. Thus, Van Til's reliance on the Reformed philosophy seemed a bit shaky as a foundation for presuppositional apologetics. I might be able to find good basis for correlation (of such philosophy with scripture) nowadays -- but I haven't investigated that proposition.

It was unexpected to find some Van Til enthusiasts who found Bahnsen to be incorrect on his interpretation of Van Til.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If I can mention a popular book, I think Blomberg's Can We Still Believe in the Bible is excellent.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No C.S. Lewis? I'll mention Mere Christianity, which helped me a great deal.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

7. Amen tabibito amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview by Moreland and Craig is great for those who want a philosophical examination and defense of Christian belief.

Also CS Lewis' other books are well worth reading - Miracles is superb, for example.

Feser's The Last Superstition is excellent, also highly recommend his Aquinas - a beginner's guide
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

9. Amen lee_merrill amen'd this post.