The Johannine Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Johannine Question

NT scholar Mark Goodacre presented a very brief video on John's use of the synoptics. Goodacre stated that John "creatively embellishes"; "adds new characters and discourses", engaging in "imaginative retelling".

He goes on to state that throughout much of Christian history GJohn was regarded as a kind of reflection or meditation on the synoptics, which seems to include ahistorical or theological material. OK, so, that seems to be the academic/critical position in a nutshell. Now, I have a question for my Catholic and Orthodox friends:

Is there an official position on GJohn, or are there a plurality of perspectives on GJohn within Orthodoxy and Catholicism? If there is an official position on GJohn, does it line up with the critical/academic position as laid out by Mark Goodacre?

Thank you.

The only official Orthodox positions are those declared by ecumenical councils, so no. If you want the traditional view of John's gospel, read Eusebius.

Your holding up of Goodacre's view as the academic/critical position is a whole 'nother question. I have no idea on what he bases his assertion regarding the general view of the gospel throughout Christian history, though I rather suspect it does not reflect Orthodox views throughout Christian history.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
      NT scholar Mark Goodacre presented a very brief video on John's use of the synoptics. Goodacre stated that John "creatively embellishes"; "adds new characters and discourses", engaging in "imaginative retelling".

He goes on to state that throughout much of Christian history GJohn was regarded as a kind of reflection or meditation on the synoptics, which seems to include ahistorical or theological material. OK, so, that seems to be the academic/critical position in a nutshell. Now, I have a question for my Catholic and Orthodox friends:

Is there an official position on GJohn, or are there a plurality of perspectives on GJohn within Orthodoxy and Catholicism? If there is an official position on GJohn, does it line up with the critical/academic position as laid out by Mark Goodacre?

Thank you.

Comment